Easy Disposal of Marine Flares

veshengro

Visit site
True. The only reason that I mentioned it was, I've seen rain soaked Para flares ignite, but oil penetration was obviously too much.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The red and white hand flares are easy to get rid of - set them off at home pointing at the ground. The problem ones are the parahute flares and the smokes, the latter because of the powder they spew out.

Quite why the racing rule makers insist on dangerous fireworks on board, I do not know in these days of epirbs, plbs etc.
Before Coastguard got so antsy I let some off in suburban garden one nNvember to show Navigator how they worked. Unsurprisingly no one took any notice. We used to let them off at old YC when tide was out and no one in severn estuary could possibly be in danger from sinking in water as no water that close to YC.

The racing rules however insist on it as EPRIBs and PLB may not work and in some cases might not be picked up by relay satellite for 24 hours, and even if they are, the the easy locate function of flares or smoke is a supreme advantage to rescue craft as casualty may be many miles from where EPRIB triggered (3 miles if attempted rescue half an hour later in Bristol Channel and worse by Alderney race) , and the rockets provide most vital back up to EPRIB etc and can summon assistance from nearby craft without the lengthy route via satellite monitory to CG to RNLI or equivalent.

Its not either or.

We have Epirb, PLB and Flares

burgundyben

Visit site
A reply from the Isle of Wight Council said call Coastguard or see GreenBlue.

So I called the coastguard who referred me to GreenBlue...

GreenBlue does not work, there is no location on Isle of Wight and we're not allowed them on Red Funnel or Wightlink.

Heaven forfend we go by our own boat....

Just as I was replying to the Council, Coastguard called me back and said since Isle of Wight is a special case the Police Station in Newport take them.

We'll see!

I've been to Newport police station and dropped them off, no problem.

Parking nearby all pay and display...cash or app, no card payment, by the time I had walked to the police station and dropped off the flares and walked back to the car, I was still trying to load the app.... Balls to it, I drove off saving £1.10.

penberth3

Visit site
I've been to Newport police station and dropped them off, no problem.

Parking nearby all pay and display...cash or app, no card payment, by the time I had walked to the police station and dropped off the flares and walked back to the car, I was still trying to load the app.... Balls to it, I drove off saving £1.10.

Was that recently? I thought the new arrangement would stop the Police/CG/RNLI having to dipose of your rubbish for you. That isn't their job.

mm42

Visit site
It is a royal pain disposing of TEPs these days. I buy online because the cost is lower than chandlers near me, so swapping out is not really an issue.

It's funny isn't it, it's almost like by going mail order and paying less you're getting a reduced service compared to supporting your local chandlery. Who'd have thought.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
It's funny isn't it, it's almost like by going mail order and paying less you're getting a reduced service compared to supporting your local chandlery. Who'd have thought.
You dont pay less by mail order, you pay £49 hazardous goods carriage on top of the flare price. I suppose you could send your old flares back for £49 plus charge per flare. And as for thinking everyone far from the Solent has a chandlery to buy from - well!!! Ever in semi civilised south west my nearest chandlery is an hour away in another country and heaven help those in western scotland once they get beyond Glasgow.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site

Not really funny at all. My local chandler doesn't stock pyros. However, my local chandler would have been pleased at the near GBP6k that I paid to them last year, plus the fee for repairing my keel using their labour and yard, the rental fees from the local electrician who rewired my boat, the rigger who inspects my rigging every year and will replace this winter, the other local chandler, where `i have bought an Axion+ 12, plus another, less local but in my waters, where I bought a new liferaft et cetera.

Last edited:

PaulR

Home West Sussex, Boat on Mooring in Gosport
Visit site
Youboat chandlery bursledon has a free flare disposal day today. Max 10 per person.

thanks - took ours along on saturday - very helpful relaxed approach from staff there - happy to make donation to rnli - thanks youboat (had to smile as amongst ours was some my dad had picked up at a local "give your stuff away day" which someone had left out - dad picked up a bunch of out of date flares thinking they might be useful for me!

38mess

Visit site
When my last lot of flares were out of date I asked this old guy on a big wooden boat that turned up in our Marina when he was rummaging through the skip if he wanted them, he almost snapped my hand off.
I know it's not the answer. Last but one lot I let off on bonfire night.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
The Green Blue map up thread suggested Seago and Marine Superstore Portsmouth as my nearest. I emailed both. Seago charge a price per flare but Marine Superstore are not charging at the moment . Very pleased to get rid of my old flares, and bought my antifoul to show my appreciation.

burgundyben

Visit site
Newport, Isle of Wight Police station has a sign on the front door that says they no longer accept flares, I couldn't read the smaller writing, it says HMCG something.

Medway Matt

Visit site
And if you do it wrong, you could end up with the explosives going off unconfined in your face. Not likely to be a bang, but could be a very nasty flame, which water won't put out.
Yes, there are very good reasons for the illegality of tampering with flares etc. and that's one of them.

awol

Visit site
Yes, there are very good reasons for the illegality of tampering with flares etc. and that's one of them.
Pah, snowflakes! I come from the weedkiller/sugar, saltpetre/carbon/sulphur age of experimentation - only one of my friends lost a finger!
Note, I encourage others, I don't need the thrill anymore.

Medway Matt

Visit site
Pah, snowflakes! I come from the weedkiller/sugar, saltpetre/carbon/sulphur age of experimentation - only one of my friends lost a finger!
Note, I encourage others, I don't need the thrill anymore.
🙂but I still have all my digits, limbs and eyes!