Easy Disposal of Marine Flares

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Having missed the final deadline for leaving at Coastguard and findind no one to take them near me, I actually googled "disposal of incendaries".

Local gov web site said recycling centre took them. Local gov help line knew no details so I checked with recycling operator, and they said no bother, just bring them in. Rocked up dumped broken furniture and a man took my 16 flares to place in the locked big red bin.

Logical, as if Force 4, Survivitech (or Coastguard in days go by) and a n other take them, they dont actually have disposal facilities. So they must go somewhere to be legally disposed off. Yes, its the council!

As ever RYA info could be better and avoid panicking this ageing sailor

penberth3

Visit site
Having missed the final deadline for leaving at Coastguard and findind no one to take them near me, I actually googled "disposal of incendaries".

Local gov web site said recycling centre took them. Local gov help line knew no details so I checked with recycling operator, and they said no bother, just bring them in. Rocked up dumped broken furniture and a man took my 16 flares to place in the locked big red bin.

Logical, as if Force 4, Survivitech (or Coastguard in days go by) and a n other take them, they dont actually have disposal facilities. So they must go somewhere to be legally disposed off. Yes, its the council!

As ever RYA info could be better and avoid panicking this ageing sailor

You've "disposed of" your flares, but it's unlikely the Council will have their own facilities for final disposal/destruction. They must have entered into the new "scheme"?

wombat88

Visit site
Force 4 will take your old ones in for free if you buy new...and alternatively they used to accept them but charge.

The RNLI seem to do a show for a day every year at the local marina and accept them. Worth checking this out.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Force 4 will take your old ones in for free if you buy new...and alternatively they used to accept them but charge.

The RNLI seem to do a show for a day every year at the local marina and accept them. Worth checking this out.
Yes F4 will take them at fee but I had perhaps 5 batches of five year duration 4 flares, and no F4 anymore near Bristol so even buying new flares means a £45 carriage fee from say Portsmouth about 80 miles away. Marinas on the English side of Bristol Channel are effectively non-existent. No safe water harbours for 165 miles between Lydney and St Ives, so Marinas based RNLI shows not prominent, and Portishead life boat was private until recently.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
You've "disposed of" your flares, but it's unlikely the Council will have their own facilities for final disposal/destruction. They must have entered into the new "scheme"?
I dont know about that. There is a legal obligation to deal with hazardous waste and quite frankly it doesnt need the army bomb squad to dispose of giant sparklers

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Ocean Safety Ltd (several locations around the UK) will take old flares off your hands for £2 each.
No Ocean Safety within 2 hours drive of me - say £64 roundtrip for my van - plus 16*2=16. So a mere £80 and a whole day wasted. Its all fine for those in Lake Solent but those who live or keep boats elsewhere can be grateful that some local public authorities provide free facilities.

My next problem of course is that Force 4 charge £45 to ship a replacement Offshore Flare pack and have none in stock on any route I might take. Still 40 or 50 miles offshore I want rockets not LEDs so I guess I must just cough up

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
No Ocean Safety within 2 hours drive of me - say £64 roundtrip for my van - plus 16*2=16. So a mere £80 and a whole day wasted. Its all fine for those in Lake Solent but those who live or keep boats elsewhere can be grateful that some local public authorities provide free facilities.

My next problem of course is that Force 4 charge £45 to ship a replacement Offshore Flare pack and have none in stock on any route I might take. Still 40 or 50 miles offshore I want rockets not LEDs so I guess I must just cough up

It's worth a go at your nearest main police station before going into full on moan mode. Don't ring them and ask, just turn up.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
It's worth a go at your nearest main police station before going into full on moan mode. Don't ring them and ask, just turn up.
I have already stated that Bristol Council happily took them, and expressed my continual pleasure of living in such a district. A council refuse site is designed to handle low level hazardous waste in some bulk, a police station is not.

But flares are mandatory for craft over a certain length and highly advisable for us smaller boat owners that go beyond waving distance from land. Disposal needs special facilities (though you can legally let of white flares as not an alarm) and the UK Gov has washed its hands of the matter leaving us to find or not find suitable handling places

burgundyben

Visit site
I have 3 to get rid of.

The Isle of Wight council has a waste page on its website that says to get in touch about hazardous waste and provides an email address to do so.

The email address bounces.