Easy Disposal of Marine Flares

Birdseye

Visit site
The red and white hand flares are easy to get rid of - set them off at home pointing at the ground. The problem ones are the parahute flares and the smokes, the latter because of the powder they spew out.

Quite why the racing rule makers insist on dangerous fireworks on board, I do not know in these days of epirbs, plbs etc.

KeithMD

Visit site
If we assume that most marina's have chandleries that can deal with this (and ignore chandleries that aren't at marinas which might give you more choice),
I just wish that were always the case. Sod's Law seems to apply. Here's Force4 again. I can't buy new flares from their store at QAB marina in Plymouth, so I can't take the old ones the short distance from elsewhere in Plymouth, I'd have to drive 100+ miles to another store.

1678901665252.png

dunedin

Visit site
Fortunately, the GreenBlue has a map that helps.

Environmental Facilities Map - The Green Blue

View attachment 153119

East, North East & Scotland

View attachment 153120

Soth & South East

View attachment 153121

South West & Wales

View attachment 153122

Clicking the red dot on the map gave similar info.

View attachment 153123
So according to that map nowhere at all from Norfolk-ish all the way up the East coast of the UK, round the North Coast and down to the Clyde. And nowhere in the islands, and reportedly not allowed on car on ferry to bring to mainland to dispose of.
Largs is listed as one place, but I think the disposal cost is £2.20 per flare.
Not sure the thread title “easy disposal” is very accurate. Don’t plan to buy any more.

KeithMD

Visit site
Looks like I'll be going to Ocean Safety in Plymouth.

So according to that map nowhere at all from Norfolk-ish all the way up the East coast of the UK, round the North Coast and down to the Clyde.

And, yes, it looks like tough luck for anyone on the entire east coast between Shetlands and Lincolnshire ?!?!

penberth3

Visit site
I dont know about that. There is a legal obligation to deal with hazardous waste and quite frankly it doesnt need the army bomb squad to dispose of giant sparklers

Individual sites might not have authority to accept hazardous wastes, and have no obligation to do so. "Giant sparklers" need proper disposal with regard to emissions and residues, it has to be done legally.

Baddox

Visit site
I notice that Newcastle is a long way from any of the disposal centres listed on the map, fortunately our local tip accepted 15 mixed flares from me a few months ago. I called their office first and they confirmed they will accept anything except asbestos, so it’s worth trying.

View attachment 153119
Clicking the red dot on the map gave similar info.

ylop

Visit site
So according to that map nowhere at all from Norfolk-ish all the way up the East coast of the UK, round the North Coast and down to the Clyde. And nowhere in the islands, and reportedly not allowed on car on ferry to bring to mainland to dispose of.
Largs is listed as one place, but I think the disposal cost is £2.20 per flare.
Not sure the thread title “easy disposal” is very accurate. Don’t plan to buy any more.
I don’t think that list is definitive. I’ve not been in Bosuns locker (Port Edgar) but they certainly used to. Would be surprised if none of the Liferaft Service Stations in Aberdeen would take them (for a fee - they are Aberdonian ;-)) especially if you were getting your liferaft serviced at the time, and Sea Gear in Kirkwall will supply and dispose just as examples that aren’t on the map.

doug748

Visit site
How about disassembling the TEPs and burning the flammables? There must be a Youtube video on "How to ...."

Someone said you can put them on a bonfire, which sounds hugely dodgy especially for parachute flares.

So in a questing frame of mind I gave it a go. Being fortunate to have a very remote spot and dressed in full flack suit with flame retardant underwear, I raked aside some very hot ashes put the article in and buried it with burning timber on top. I then legged it to a safe distance and stationed myself in the lee of a blast proof building (shed).

After about ten minutes nothing but a bit of fizzing, another ten minutes and I figured it was safe to go. As I was tidying up there was a very impressive crump and a horizontal blast of hot cinders, maybe 15 ft or so. Later I noticed my asbestos underpants had become singed. So whatever you do don't follow the loony advice to burn pyrotechnics. 😐

WoodyP

Visit site
Someone said you can put them on a bonfire, which sounds hugely dodgy especially for parachute flares.

So in a questing frame of mind I gave it a go. Being fortunate to have a very remote spot and dressed in full flack suit with flame retardant underwear, I raked aside some very hot ashes put the article in and buried it with burning timber on top. I then legged it to a safe distance and stationed myself in the lee of a blast proof building (shed).

After about ten minutes nothing but a bit of fizzing, another ten minutes and I figured it was safe to go. As I was tidying up there was a very impressive crump and a horizontal blast of hot cinders, maybe 15 ft or so. Later I noticed my asbestos underpants had become singed. So whatever you do don't follow the loony advice to burn pyrotechnics. 😐

Are you sure it was singeing that caused the brown mark ‼️

veshengro

Visit site
A comment purely as info and not a recommendation or suggestion, I know from experience that Military Parachute flares if soaked in light oil for about a month fail to ignite, at least on that occasion. Some Doughnut in supply had accidently allowed light lube oil to leak into an unsealed metal container resulting in the bottom layer, 4, flares being completely US after being submerged. Normally they are as waterproof as Marine flares, but oil saturated they didn't want to play on that ( Training) occasion.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
But the igniter relies on friction, so getting it wet with a lubricant might defeat it. The charge would be unchanged.
A comment purely as info and not a recommendation or suggestion, I know from experience that Military Parachute flares if soaked in light oil for about a month fail to ignite, at least on that occasion. Some Doughnut in supply had accidently allowed light lube oil to leak into an unsealed metal container resulting in the bottom layer, 4, flares being completely US after being submerged. Normally they are as waterproof as Marine flares, but oil saturated they didn't want to play on that ( Training) occasion.