East Coast to the Baltic Via Amsterdam and Kiel Canal

stchristopher

Visit site
Hi,
We're planning to sail to the Baltic in April/May this year and are very confused as to the check in/check out paperwork etc. I can do the googling, if someone could just give me a few pointers where to look. I just find it incredibly confusing.
Many thanks
Jim & Pat Henry

stchristopher

Visit site
Yes, you do. You're free to move between schengen countries without checking in or out. You need obviously to check out (of the schengen) before you come back to the UK. At least thats what I think i found out today. I was a bit lazy and have now done quite a bit of research. The last bit of the puzzle is do the customs and immigration come to you at Ijmuiden seaport, or do we have to jump in a taxi and go to them?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I have only checked in or out at Den Helder. I find it really easy. Just inform the Marina Staff and they arrange for the Douanes to visit you and complete all the paperwoork. I have then sailed through Germany and Denmark without further checking. I was riding out a gale at Lauwersoog once and the Douanes seeing my Red Ensign checked that all was in order which it was. Interesting that last time I left Den Helder to return to the UK I was stopped by a Netherland Police boat looking to see if I was carrying illegal immigrants. But once again no problems.

Don't forget to check out of the UK. A lot of skippers do it on line. I prefer to post mine to Dover as I leave.
Tell Border Force and HMRC you are sailing to or from the UK in a pleasure craft

DanTribe

Visit site
"Don't forget to check out of the UK. A lot of skippers do it on line. I prefer to post mine to Dover as I leave."

I tried and failed several times to check out on line from Ramsgate. Entering all the info including everybody's passport details on my phone was frustrating so I posted it.
Eventually I got a brusque, unaddressed, unsigned and undated letter saying I should have done it on line.
They don't like it.

michael_w

Visit site
It's dead easy to check in at Ijmuiden. Tie up just inside the lock on the canal to Amsterdam, walk back to the office in the ferry terminal.

More of a problem if coming straight from Harwich is the separation schemes and the wind farms.

searocket

Visit site
We sailed from Harwich to the Baltic in 2023 via Ijmuiden / Amsterdam and Kiel Canal the formalties were very straight forward.
There is some information on this link for entering Netherlands including a crew list pdf;
Reporting requirements for commercial and recreational vessels
I emailed our crew list when we arrived at the Seaport Marina at Ijmuiden and a little while later the police turned up to check our passports.
Or go to the office in person if that suits. Koninklijke Marechaussee Sluisplein 41, 1975 AG IJmuiden - it's a long walk from the marina, easy ride on bikes.

As mentioned above check out of the UK when you leave - the online form is easy, it can all be done in advance and then confirmed when you actually leave. And do the reverse upon return.

Marmalade

Visit site
It's dead easy to check in at Ijmuiden. Tie up just inside the lock on the canal to Amsterdam, walk back to the office in the ferry terminal.

More of a problem if coming straight from Harwich is the separation schemes and the wind farms.
We sailed up to Lowestoft last year to start with - a pleasant night in the marina and dinner in the yacht club; bed; then an early start and a course that goes pretty much straight into the channel for Ijmuiden without obstacle. c. 15 hrs