East Coast Must Visit's

pks1702

Visit site
East Coast Must Visit\'s

We had a week around the Orwell last year but the weather largely put paid to seeing very much at all.

I and another forumite moved our boats down to Shotley from Burgh Castle over the weekend and have decided to stay until the end of August to have a base in an effort to have a 'proper' look at the area.

Most of the time will be weekends only but a fortnights holiday in July will allow more scope and if a weather window presents itself we may hop across to Belguim.

After all that scene setting I would like to ask the panel what would their must visits/must do's recommendations be while in the area.

Motor Boats with 0.75m draft.

Many thanks

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Re: East Coast Must Visit\'s

What floats your boat?

Is it scenery?, peace and quiet?, history and heritage?, restaurants?... etc?

I could, just myself, fill several pages with suggestions, so a little guidance would help focus the answer a bit!

PS... welcome to the East coast... i'm in Shotley too....

pks1702

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
What floats your boat?

Is it scenery?, peace and quiet?, history and heritage?, restaurants?... etc?[ QUOTE ]

Scenery and peace and quiet would be very nice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

Ok..... in that case... from the Orwell..... must do's:

The Deben - very pretty and utterly tranquil - lovely anchorage(s) or nice marina
The Ore/Alde - very pretty - nice stop off points at Aldeburgh and Orford.. really quaint
Hamford Water - absolute peace and quiet - commune with nature! - probably the quietest place within 10nm of Harwich...
West Mersea - the real east coast experience - was home of the legendary MG - a boating must do.

There's 4 top choices for starters!

Seadee

Visit site

Hi - think I saw you at the weekend. Didn't you lck in with a Beneteau Serie 9 ? I was on the lockside with my 3 year old and SWMBO on the way to the bar !! Then on Sunday I was on my way out at about 9am and you guys were still moored up and I gave you a wave - my boat is La Maitresse and I'm a Merry Fisher 805 on M04. Come and say hello if you see me down there.

Morgana has summed up some crackin' spots - Hamford Water is true bliss if you want to put the hook down and kick back with the sunday paper and Steve Wright on the radio !!

My absolute favourite is Holbrook Bay up the Stour. It's my favourite fishing area too - the bass are starting to shoal up in the river now. They are all still very small (about 1lb or so) but in a few weeks time they'll be bigguns up there (my biggest is 7lb) and they'll yank yer rod nicely. You can use ragworm or lures or feathers but the water needs to clear a bit more than it was on Sunday.

I'm back at Shotley this year having spent a couple of years at Lowestoft Haven.

Enjoy yourself and say hello !!

Chris

pks1702

Visit site

Many thanks Morgana, appreciated always good to get some local knowledge.

Chris - yes that was us the Series 9 is the other forumite I mentioned. Yes we did see you, I will certainly say hello especially as you mention some important piscatorial information /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We are on H34&36 if my tired brain at the weekend remembered correctly.

Perry

Seadee

Visit site

Yes - saw your boats again tonite. KIKI if I remember right ? Nice looking craft. Mine's out for a bum wash tomorrow. Speak soon

CD

Other threads that may be of interest