East Coast marinas/facilities ???

pragmatist

Visit site
Having acquired a cat with 1M draught we fancy revisiting old haunts on the East Coast. Planning mostly to explore muddy creeks and seeking peace and quiet. However we are thinking of doing the trip from Dartmouth as a delivery and then spending a week getting ourselves sorted out, getting the dog back from a visit to daughter in Sussex etc. So we would like say a week in a marina or somewhere with walk-ashore. We are happy to dry out and have a holding tank. Apparently Gillingham Marina no longer have visitors in the tidal basin and I nearly fell over when Chatham Maritime (who only had one berth which would fit us (we're 11M with a beam of less than 16ft /5M) quoted us 300 quid for a week !!!

Can anyone suggest somewhere ? We're not after posh - just somewhere we can get access by road, stock up on supplies, meet a few family ... Obviously the further south would be better as kids live in Sussex and Surrey but it they have to drive to Suffolk then so be it :)

TIA
Penny

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi Penny,

Where are you coming from? If £300 for a week for an 11m x 5m boat nearly made you fall over, you can't be from the South Coast or the Wet Country - you might try asking the same of the MDL Marina in Torquay if you enjoy falling over.

Smaller marinas more out of the way and not part of a big chain tend to offer better prices and Dick's suggestion is the only one "further south" that springs to mind. However, if you want to access the beautiful cruising estuaries of Suffok and Essex, you might try Titchmarsh on the Walton Backwater or the Tidemill at Woodbridge, However, i doubt a boat of your size will make much saving on £300 per week because your boat will effectively take up 1.5 11 m berths. which will make the other 1/2 of an 11m berth unsaleable while you're there, because it's a rare customer that rocks up asking for a half width berth .

I would estimate between £200 and £250 for 7 days in most marinas ..... and MDL are not most marinas.

Peter.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Hi Penny,

Where are you coming from? If £300 for a week for an 11m x 5m boat nearly made you fall over, you can't be from the South Coast or the Wet Country - you might try asking the same of the MDL Marina in Torquay if you enjoy falling over.

Smaller marinas more out of the way and not part of a big chain tend to offer better prices and Dick's suggestion is the only one "further south" that springs to mind. However, if you want to access the beautiful cruising estuaries of Suffok and Essex, you might try Titchmarsh on the Walton Backwater or the Tidemill at Woodbridge, However, i doubt a boat of your size will make much saving on £300 per week because your boat will effectively take up 1.5 11 m berths. which will make the other 1/2 of an 11m berth unsaleable while you're there, because it's a rare customer that rocks up asking for a half width berth .

I would estimate between £200 and £250 for 7 days in most marinas ..... and MDL are not most marinas.

Peter.
I had the same thought

pragmatist

Visit site
Many thanks to all, especially those suggesting Conyer. How very stupid of us - we had a mooring on the Swale for many years and loved it. However didn't realise that they might take a visitor.

Yes, we are coming from the Wet Country but since our annual mooring bill is equivalent to 3 weeks with MDL you can see why I found it a shock. We rarely visit marinas ! Gillingham had already quoted half that - but didn't seem to think they had any water ??? Perhaps they have a problem with the lock gates. We don't use marinas unless

Titchmarsh also sounds good - love the Backwaters. Hadn't thought of the Tide Mill so will have a look at that one.

Thank you all for your recommendations. Any more welcome.

Pye_End

Visit site
Gillingham had already quoted half that - but didn't seem to think they had any water ??? Perhaps they have a problem with the lock gates. We don't use marinas unless

With mainly box moorings perhaps the comment was spare space for a cat?

Lock gates fine yesterday.

philld

www.bitbucket.plus.com
It might be worth having a quick chat with Essex Marina. It's more isolated than Fambridge but you can always cross the river to Burnham using the Ferry (burnhamferry.co.uk). It's also lot closer to the estuary.

Last time I saw him, Tomahawk kept his cat at Fambridge, and might be a useful contact.

Tomahawk

Visit site
It might be worth having a quick chat with Essex Marina. It's more isolated than Fambridge but you can always cross the river to Burnham using the Ferry (burnhamferry.co.uk). It's also lot closer to the estuary.

Last time I saw him, Tomahawk kept his cat at Fambridge, and might be a useful contact.

Tomahawk is now in Brightlingsea..
There are visitors moorings in the harbour and also some at Morgans boatyard just past the commercial wharf.