East Coast "Little Ships"

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
You might suggest an English version as well as Frog n Cloggie

I have.

The site is run by volunteers who all have full time jobs - none of them are English native speakers.
A few years back there was a 'scaled down' version in English, but it seems it wasn't appreciated.
Grammar nazis kept writing in to correct their grammar, so they just pulled it.

FullCircle

Visit site
I have.

The site is run by volunteers who all have full time jobs - none of them are English native speakers.
A few years back there was a 'scaled down' version in English, but it seems it wasn't appreciated.
Grammar nazis kept writing in to correct their grammar, so they just pulled it.

Why not volunteer? It will stave off the boredom on thos 7/7 nights.:eek:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Why not volunteer? It will stave off the boredom on thos 7/7 nights.:eek:

Jim,
With my full time, part time and freelance jobs there just aren't enough hours in the week.
The boat refit, the house restoration and retirement in a couple of years mean I cannot afford to take on unpaid jobs.
Not if I want to continue to sail and to live comfortably beyond my means once I'm retired. :eek:

Sixpence

Visit site
I just let that nice Mr Google translate it for me, he does after all, making exceedingly amusing bloops every now and then ;)

DISCOVER THE DUNKIRK LITTLE SHIPS TO OVA 2014

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 - 11:45

Discover these 12 specialized vessels linked to the liberation of Ostend. They will all participate in the next edition of Ostend at Anchor. Do not miss them!
12 ships that took part in the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940 and used as auxiliary vessels during World War II.
Take a look at the website of the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships for more information: http://www.adls.org.uk/

- See more at: http://www.oostendevooranker.be/nl/visit/news?var=321#sthash.gX3ZdJH4.dpuf

Sixpence

Visit site
As far as can be ascertained, the motto of the Royal Air Force dates back to 1912 and the formation of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). The first Commanding Officer of the RFC (Military Wing) was Colonel Frederick Sykes. He asked his officers to come up with a motto for the new service; one which would produce a strong esprit de corps.

Shortly after this, two junior officers were walking from the Officers' Mess at Farnborough to Cody's Shed on Laffan Plain. As they walked, they discussed the problem of the motto and one of them, JS Yule, mentioned the phrase "Sicictar ad Astra", from the Virgilian texts. He then expanded on this with the phrase "Per Ardua ad Astra", which he translated as, "Through Struggles to the Stars". Colonel Sykes approved of this as the motto and forwarded it to the War Office. It was then submitted to the King, who approved its adoption.

The question of where this motto had come from can be answered by he fact that Yule had read it in a book called "People of the Mist" by Sir Henry Rider Haggard. In the first chapter was the passage, "To his right were two stately gates of iron fantastically wrought, supported by stone pillars on whose summit stood griffins of black marble embracing coats of arms and banners inscribed with the device 'Per Ardua ad Astra'".

As to where Sir Rider Haggard obtained this phrase is still unclear although it is possible that it originated from the Irish family of Mulway who had used it as their family motto for hundreds of years and translated it as "Through Struggles to the Stars".

The authoritative translation of the motto is just as unsure as the source. Since there can be a number of different meanings to 'Ardua' and 'Astra', scholars have declared it to untranslatable. To the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Air Forces though it will remain "Through Adversity to the Stars". It is peculiar to the Royal Air Force and has been made famous by the heroic and courageous deeds of our air forces over the years.

One thing not taken into account, however, was the 'Junior' status of the officers who originally put forward the motto, and the fact that the RFC were in the process of breaking away from the Army. In a moment of sheer brilliance the junior officers had come up with a uniquely untranslatable phrase, and the long held secret can now be revealed to the wise and good herein. Per Ardua ad Astra, in reality, means The Pongo's Volunteered Sir.

Other threads that may be of interest