Driving to Greece A few questions

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Every one I have talked to in the Preveza Boat Yards who drive down say they take the ferry from N. Italy to Igounomitsa in Greece. A long and expensive 24 hour car ferry. It also seems that they book the ferry in advance.

(1) With the possibility of delays en-route how can you be sure to catch the ferry you have booked?
(2) If you do miss the ferry you have booked (puncture etc) can you say sorry and use the one that leaves next.
(3) Why not wait until you arrive at the ferry terminal pay the fare and drive on. No stress to get there on time.
(4) Which ferry is best from Northern Europe? (From what I understand there are a number of ferry companies from different ports).
(5) Why not continue in the car and drive to Greece via the Balkans? (Insurance perhaps, Albania is in the way)?
(6) Finally, if not the Balkans why not drive to S. Italy (still in the EU) and take a quick ferry to Greece from say Brindisi?

Lots of questions, no need to answer all of them. My reason for asking is that this will be the first time I plan to drive down from Sweden and I have two ferries to use before I even get to the main ferry so I have absolutely no Idea how long it would actually take.

Some drivers I have spoken to say it is cheaper to use a ferry rather than run the gauntlet of corrupt police speed traps in Italy and the Balkans.

Thanks for reading and I would be grateful for any answers.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Every one I have talked to in the Preveza Boat Yards who drive down say they take the ferry from N. Italy to Igounomitsa in Greece. A long and expensive 24 hour car ferry. It also seems that they book the ferry in advance.

(1) With the possibility of delays en-route how can you be sure to catch the ferry you have booked?
(2) If you do miss the ferry you have booked (puncture etc) can you say sorry and use the one that leaves next.
(3) Why not wait until you arrive at the ferry terminal pay the fare and drive on. No stress to get there on time.
(4) Which ferry is best from Northern Europe? (From what I understand there are a number of ferry companies from different ports).
(5) Why not continue in the car and drive to Greece via the Balkans? (Insurance perhaps, Albania is in the way)?
(6) Finally, if not the Balkans why not drive to S. Italy (still in the EU) and take a quick ferry to Greece from say Brindisi?

Lots of questions, no need to answer all of them. My reason for asking is that this will be the first time I plan to drive down from Sweden and I have two ferries to use before I even get to the main ferry so I have absolutely no Idea how long it would actually take.

Some drivers I have spoken to say it is cheaper to use a ferry rather than run the gauntlet of corrupt police speed traps in Italy and the Balkans.

Thanks for reading and I would be grateful for any answers.

1 and 2, no idea, we have always arrived in time.
3. Very many do but it depends on the time of year. Early and late season, assuming a car, no problems at all. July August and Easter you may well experience delays due to full ships
4. From Ancona we have used Superfast and Minoan. Very little to choose between them. For a motorhome we find Superfast far easier, RoRo rather than reversing up the ramp.
5. I know a few people who have done it but not through Albania. I believe that option is now far easier than it was.
6. It's a very long way on indifferent roads.

We have always booked on line beforehand, it's cheaper and far more convenient for us. We have not encountered the speed traps in Italy but most Italians drive faster than us anyway!

tennisgirl1

yachtvigdis.wordpress.com
We crossed Igoumenitsa to Bari which has reasonable motorway links north and westwards towards Naples. It is shorter, but I'm not sure that it saved us much in terms of ferry costs, and of course some motorways in Italy have tolls. I would use the Venice or Ancona route if doing it again.

Tranona

Visit site
Another choice is to drive all the way south and use the ferry from Brindisi, which is the route I chose. Bit cheaper than via Ancona, but you trade off a long ferry journey for a long (but easy) drive and the ferry I took was old compared with Ancona based ships.

As Vyv says booking ahead through an agent saves money and essential in busy times. One advantage of the Brindisi ferry is it leaves in mid morning, so I booked a hotel the night before, which gives some leeway for delays.

Zen Zero

Boat:Syvota, Epirus, Greece. Me:Rome, Italy
Visit site
We mostly use Superfast on the Bari Igouminitsa route and do "Camping On Board" in our vintage Mercedes van - very civilised.

Other times we've used Agoudimos from Brindisi.

Mostly we've booked but have also not booked and never had a problem.

The staff on both sides have always been helpful and friendly to us and have changed our bookings for us without charge saying they could do it if there was space.

if you book before Easter sort of time (it's on their websites) you get a discount, otherwise you don't.

On Italy side it's 130km/h motorway all the way down to Otranto. On the Balkan side it's country roads. In Albania long detours away from the coast are needed.

We thought about getting the ferry to Albania last year just to visit that supposedly lovely country but it turned out simpler and cheaper to Camp on Board to Igouminitsa.

You can get a ferry to igouminitsa from Venice, Ancona, Bari or Brindisi and maybe some other places too.

The ferry is pleasant enough. If you haven't got a camping bus, get a cabin, it's worth the price, and don't vacate it just because they tell you to on the tannoy, you'll still have about an hour to go before you reach Igouminitsa.

When you arrive, go and have breakfast in Plataria, it's on the way! Then it's about an hour perhaps a bit more to Preveza.

Last edited:
Visit site
We have used Venice to Corfu/Igoumenitsa many times but now it runs from Trieste and only goes to Iggy, which is OK for Preveza. We cross the Channel in the evening and stop at a hotel, somewhere in Northern france. Setting off early morning you can easily make it to Venice or Trieste by the evening even stopping off for lunch in a Swiss motorway services which serve superb food.We stay at a second hotel near the port and drive the short distance to the ferry in the morning - the ferries usually go at around midday and get into Iggy at about the same time the next day. I guess a similar strategy would work for fetching up in Bari or Brindisi.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Thanks very much for those comprehensive answers. A good point was made that fuel costs and toll roads compensate for the N Italy ferry cost, so now I can understand why the long 24 hour ferry is so popular. Last time I owned a car petrol was 7 sek a litre while today it is between 14 and 15 sek so it makes sense to take the N Italy ferry. That will now be my preferred route I reckon. The car (an estate) will be full of gear so I would not get much sight seeing in on the way down if I went via Brindisi. Maybe on the way back it would be a good. There is so much to see in Italy. Thanks again.

AndrewB

Visit site
If anyone is driving out without a full car and could transport an outboard out to Greece, in return for a contribution for petrol, that would be greatly appreciated.
Damn. I'm driving there right now, could have helped you if I'd known a couple of days ago.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
I drive down and back to Preveza every season in a van. Van stays out there for 4 or 5 months and then I drive it back. I usually carry stuff for forumites in return for a small contribution towards costs so if you are interested please PM me.

1/ depends on your driving habits. I plan on 24 hours home in Sussex to Venice. If you are leaving in high season then booking the Italy ferry may be advisable so I leave about 30 hours before booked embarkation time. That gives time to relax, grab a coffee in Venice if you are early or slow down the last couple of hundred km if all is going well.
2/ I have always found the ferry companies pretty accommodating but high season could be a problem, check the terms of your ticket.
3/ I gave up booking a while back so I plan to arrive at the ferry terminal about 2 hours before departure time. Pitch up, pay on the day. Fortunately, unlike channel ferry operators, they are not particularly into robbing you blind just because you want to sail 'today'. If you miss a ferry there are worse places to be stranded for 24 hours than Venice :) Ancona, Bari and Brindisi however are different altogether!
4/ Venice to Igounomitsa or Trieste to Igounomitsa without a doubt. Its now actually about 26 hours not 24 btw. Ancona takes just as long give or take a little and cost the same. Driving down Italy is boring, the fuel is perhaps the most expensive in Europe and the added toll will crank up another €50 to costs. If you are not able to drive it in one go ( I have, it's over 2000 km ) you will need to add another night in an hotel and the worry of your car packed with expensive gear in an Italian hotel car park!
5/ it's a long drive via the Balkans.....It's a very long drive, the roads in Albania nearly broke a landrover for some friends. Oh and the Albanians will want to offload, inventory and log everything you have just in case you sell something in Albania and do it all over again when you leave into Greece.Add 2 days for that drive.
6/ see answer 4

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I drive down and back to Preveza every season in a van. Van stays out there for 4 or 5 months and then I drive it back. I usually carry stuff for forumites in return for a small contribution towards costs so if you are interested please PM me.

1/ depends on your driving habits. I plan on 24 hours home in Sussex to Venice. If you are leaving in high season then booking the Italy ferry may be advisable so I leave about 30 hours before booked embarkation time. That gives time to relax, grab a coffee in Venice if you are early or slow down the last couple of hundred km if all is going well.
2/ I have always found the ferry companies pretty accommodating but high season could be a problem, check the terms of your ticket.
3/ I gave up booking a while back so I plan to arrive at the ferry terminal about 2 hours before departure time. Pitch up, pay on the day. Fortunately, unlike channel ferry operators, they are not particularly into robbing you blind just because you want to sail 'today'. If you miss a ferry there are worse places to be stranded for 24 hours than Venice :) Ancona, Bari and Brindisi however are different altogether!
4/ Venice to Igounomitsa or Trieste to Igounomitsa without a doubt. Its now actually about 26 hours not 24 btw. Ancona takes just as long give or take a little and cost the same. Driving down Italy is boring, the fuel is perhaps the most expensive in Europe and the added toll will crank up another €50 to costs. If you are not able to drive it in one go ( I have, it's over 2000 km ) you will need to add another night in an hotel and the worry of your car packed with expensive gear in an Italian hotel car park!
5/ it's a long drive via the Balkans.....It's a very long drive, the roads in Albania nearly broke a landrover for some friends. Oh and the Albanians will want to offload, inventory and log everything you have just in case you sell something in Albania and do it all over again when you leave into Greece.Add 2 days for that drive.
6/ see answer 4

Thanks for filling in the gaps. An excellent response all round and I thank you all for sharing your experience. I feel much more confidant and relaxed for knowing what I can expect.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
One more thing. If you have a van or enough space you can go 'camping on deck' and use the vehicle as a camper. If it's an empty ferry then buy a deck passenger ticket and wait till the ferry sails and get to the pursers desk. You can get a cabin for a knockdown price that way sometimes.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
One more thing. If you have a van or enough space you can go 'camping on deck' and use the vehicle as a camper. If it's an empty ferry then buy a deck passenger ticket and wait till the ferry sails and get to the pursers desk. You can get a cabin for a knockdown price that way sometimes.

Minoan Lines were not offering 'camping on board' to and from Ancona in the past couple of years. They introduced two new ships that do not have the facilities for campers. Superfast still do AFAIK.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Superfast, Venturis and Agudimos I think.

Our days of driving out are over for now, last time was two years ago so I am not up to date. The Superfast arrangements for motorhomes are excellent, completely hassle free. We liked to go Minoan because that gives us good reductions on many campsites but it was far more problematical on their previous ships, with long reversing routes to get to the aft deck. Since they replaced those ships motorhomes can be carried but camping on board is not available. They provide a cabin for the same price to be competitive but not as good as being in our own van all the way.