Drip free refilling from 20 litre jerry can?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Welll, compared to your boat being filled with spilled diesel, or catching fire, some might say they’re cheap enough 😊
As the 'filler point' is right on the join between the transom and the starboard hull I am more concerned about diesel spilling into the oggin.

As @Boathook says diesel is extremely difficult to catch fire especially at atmospheric pressure.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Try turning the jerry can around so the spout is at the top, furthest from funnel. If not practical, at least on it's side.

For smaller containers, 1 and 5 litre oil, I have used this technique for years (prob taught by my old man). It prevents the glug glug as air tries to enter the container replacing the fuel/oil and pours smoothly.

This way, you can better control the flow rate.

Stemar

Visit site
Is there any reason why the cheapy 12v oil pumps that Lidl sell from time to time wouldn't do the job?

Personally, I'd be inclined to change to more, smaller cans. "Proper" 5/10l diesel containers have spouts and are much easier to handle, especially if things are a bit bumpy.

capnsensible

Visit site
Simple and effective. Keep kitchen roll handy and some washing up liquid. Over the years on deliveries, ocean passages, yadda yadda, I must have transferred hundreds if not thousands of litres of diesel with these pumps.

Tip. If you have to use a piece of tube as a syphon. Don't suck. Diesel tastes horrible. Use a long length from bottom of container to inside filler. Use a short length in the container opening to blow through to initiate the syphon effect. Easily sealed with something like a tea towel. Done this a fair bit too even on fairly large seas.

andsarkit

Visit site
Tip. If you have to use a piece of tube as a syphon. Don't suck. Diesel tastes horrible. Use a long length from bottom of container to inside filler. Use a short length in the container opening to blow through to initiate the syphon effect. Easily sealed with something like a tea towel. Done this a fair bit too even on fairly large seas.
The way I do it is to have some extra length on the tube and push a couple of feet into the can. Then put your finger over the free end and as you pull the surplus length out of the can the diesel is retained in the tube and will start to siphon as you lower the free end. No sucking or blowing and no mess. You need a fairly flexible tube for this to work easily.

capnsensible

Visit site
The way I do it is to have some extra length on the tube and push a couple of feet into the can. Then put your finger over the free end and as you pull the surplus length out of the can the diesel is retained in the tube and will start to siphon as you lower the free end. No sucking or blowing and no mess. You need a fairly flexible tube for this to work easily.
Great technique. (y)

penberth3

Visit site
A lot of ideas for pumping, but the thread title says "drip free" :unsure:. IME a pump will give you a lot more drips in a lot more places than a careful pour from a can.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I use 10 litre containers with the flexible hose. Positioned carefully then tipped over so the hose end goes into the deck filler. Have a handful of paper wipes to catch and drips when you lift it up. Works for me.

B27

Visit site
nice little 3D printer project to make a cap for the can with a long hose on it?

Personally, I decant using a tall funnel made from a 2l fizzy drink bottle.
A long time since I've needed to do it at sea.

B27

Visit site
Simple and effective. Keep kitchen roll handy and some washing up liquid. Over the years on deliveries, ocean passages, yadda yadda, I must have transferred hundreds if not thousands of litres of diesel with these pumps.

Hopefully 'something like a tea towel' that is NOT THE TEA TOWEL.

Flashback to charter boats where everything tastes of bacon tainted with diesel....

Those disposable gloves you get in fuel stations are handy on a boat. 500 for the cost of a pint of Stella?

capnsensible

Visit site
nice little 3D printer project to make a cap for the can with a long hose on it?

Personally, I decant using a tall funnel made from a 2l fizzy drink bottle.
A long time since I've needed to do it at sea.
It's not on my list of 'fun things to do on a yacht in the middle of an ocean'.

Tip. Have more than one tea towel. If there are no other rags on board, a tea towel will end up as one.

Another tip. 'never use your own toothbrush to clean the paddlewheel log impellor'.

Lodestone

Visit site
Is that with a 20 litre can?
Edit....just googled it. Interesting!
I've been using a jiggle syphon to empty 20l sceptre cans quite a bit this summer. Once to move 8 cans worth into a motorboat (when all the drystackers had dumped their toys on the fuel pontoon so no one could access it!) and once to refuel a tractor with 4 x cans. They are about the cleanest way I've ever transferred diesel. Just keep an eye on the tube and tilt the can so the end of the tube gets the last of the diesel. Empty the syphon properly and it just needs a wipe with a cloth/spill wipe. They are not the fastest way, and slow down as the can empties but a small price to pay for clean decks.(y)(y)(y)

colind3782

Visit site
Is there any reason why the cheapy 12v oil pumps that Lidl sell from time to time wouldn't do the job?

Personally, I'd be inclined to change to more, smaller cans. "Proper" 5/10l diesel containers have spouts and are much easier to handle, especially if things are a bit bumpy.
#21. I've used one to good effect.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have a spout that attaches to the can in the same way that the lid attaches. Then on my cockpit coming I have a neoprene pad where I rest the heal of the can. I can the tilt the can so it discharges into a large filtered funnel then into the deck filler.
However, that can be awkward at sea. So now I have devised a clever plan
I have bought a 12 V electric diesel transfer pump that shifts 30 litres per minute. I have fitted this under the side deck out of sight. It has one hose that can be placed in the 20 litre cans in the stern locker just below the pump. It has another 15mm hose that will reach the fuel filler cap. There is a main isolation switch in the main cabin. Turn that on to get power to the set up
There is an on off switch by the filler cap in the adjacent locker. So when one hose is in the 20 litre can and one in the fuel filler outlet I just flip the switch and stop when the fuel is transferred. (Remember to isolate in the cabin when finished..)
Then remove the inlet hose and run the pump for a short while to empty the pipes
Jobs a Goodun with no hoisting cans out of lockers at sea.