Dressed overall 2 - what flags do you carry

dunedin

Visit site
Further to my other topical post (surely won't be pulled as current, regal, affairs) I wondered what flags I had on board to decorate ship, should I want to.
My entire stock of flags comprises
- red ensign
- Irish courtesy flag - perhaps not the best choice for today
- Norwegian courtesy flag
- flags Q and N (why the latter)
- small lookalike of flag M
- owners association burgee - unused
- CA burgee - unused
- St Lucia tea towel
Perhaps won't be fully " dressed overall" then

What flags do other folks carry on board

Poignard

Visit site
Red UK ensign
Blue UK ensign (undefaced)
EU flag
French courtesy ensign
Brittany courtesy flag
RNSA burgee
Cruising Association burgee
Royal Hong-Kong Yacht Club burgee
Association Nautique de Folleux burgee
Association des Usagers du Port de Roche Bernard, Ferel, Marzan burgee
Q flag
PBO burgee
et al

Boathook

Visit site
I did have a full set of signal flags on board but they now reside in the loft.
They were suitable for a 50 foot boat rather than 30.
Now just carry some basic flags to allow me to visit France and the CI's. If I ever visit the Netherlands, etc I will get a few more suitable flags. Should add a few sailing club flags are on board as well.

The Q

Visit site
The Red UK ensign,
The Saudi flag.
Two different sailing club burgees
Two sailing association burgees, ( one is signal flag Y).
A signal flag set
A bunting set of weird and wonderful colours.

I intend making a house flag, from a back ground of the flag of the founder of my family's surname. Plus over laid with our more modern interests.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We’ve got a code flag set, plus a blue and a red ensign, French, Danish and Irish courtesy ensigns, and an assortment of class flags. We may get it all out tomorrow, but today, it’s definitely raining on our parade.

laika

Visit site
- Norwegian courtesy flag
- flags Q and N (why the latter)
Given the Norwegian courtesy flag, indicating your boat may have made a trip to the baltic, might it have ventured through some Danish waterways?
Signal Flags

Aside from a (red) ensign and a spare, I have courtesy flags for France, Guernsey and Portugal (the latter unused) and a complete set of signal flags I kid myself I vaguely know how to use (with the copy ion the ICOS on my iPad to hand anyway...). My YBW burgee is getting a bit ragged and my WOA burgee is scruffy beyond usability.

fwiw I never got a reply to my emailed enquires to the US and Japanese coast guards about whether they still processed reports of ZD1/ZD4...

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
What flags do other folks carry on board

1. Belgian yacht ensign - 1yd (at sea) & 1.5yd (in any other port than home port)
2. Local YC burgee (YCO)
3. Courtesy ensigns (France, Brittany, Normandy, Jersey, Alderney, Guernsey, Ireland, Spain, Scotland, Cornwal, Red ensign)
4. Ghent flag
5. Duvel flag
6. Belgian navy ensign
7. White ensign

Martin_J

Visit site
Not sure but there's a pirate flag the size of a duvet, a 3ft forum burgee underneath that (sewn using crispy spinnaker fabric so it makes a loud crinkly noise in the wind), a Sailonline.com burgee below that, a lifeboats flag somewhere under that..

FB_IMG_1683382843262.jpg

I think the crew were under the influence (of beer) when they stuck the numbers onto the trysail..

Or they didn't consider sunlight shining through it...

dunedin

Visit site
Not sure but there's a pirate flag the size of a duvet, a 3ft forum burgee underneath that (sewn using crispy spinnaker fabric so it makes a loud crinkly noise in the wind), a Sailonline.com burgee below that, a lifeboats flag somewhere under that..

View attachment 155942

I think the crew were under the influence (of beer) when they stuck the numbers onto the trysail..

Or they didn't consider sunlight shining through it...
So much windage from the flags that you needed storm trisail and jib to avoid capsizing ? :cool:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
If there’s a competition for how many I’m going to attempt to claim the prize.

Red & Blue Ensigns
Burgees for CA, YBW, Mudhook YC & RNSA

A complete set of signal flags plus a few spare.

Courtesy flags for France, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, Morocco, Belgium, Netherlands, Scotland, (we might have Germany & Wales as well but I haven’t looked)
Plus:
Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands (BVI, Red Ensign), Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Antigua & Barbuda, Saba, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Bonaire, Curacao, Sint Eustatius (Statia), Aruba, Sint Maarten (dutch side), France (for Saint Bartolomeu, Saint Martin, Guadeloupe and Martinique), Dominica, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Barbados, Grenada and Trinidad & Tobago.Jamaica, Cuba, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Colombia, Costa Rica and the Bahamas. Australia, Galapagos Islands, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, Niue, Tonga, American Samoa, Samoa, Wallis and Futuna, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, France (for visitors of New Caledonia), Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, United States of America (for Hawaii), Kiribati, Tuvalu, Palau and Guam, Australia , Indonesia, France (Reunion, Mayotte), Mozambique, Comoro Islands, Cocos Keeling Islands, Christmas Island, Mauritius, Madagascar, South Africa, Seychelles, Chagos and The Maldives.

(I know one or two are duplicates but they came as a set. We left UK prepared for most places…)

dunedin

Visit site
If there’s a competition for how many I’m going to attempt to claim the prize.

Red & Blue Ensigns
Burgees for CA, YBW, Mudhook YC & RNSA

A complete set of signal flags plus a few spare.

Courtesy flags for France, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, Morocco, Belgium, Netherlands, Scotland, (we might have Germany & Wales as well but I haven’t looked)
Plus:
Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands (BVI, Red Ensign), Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Antigua & Barbuda, Saba, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Bonaire, Curacao, Sint Eustatius (Statia), Aruba, Sint Maarten (dutch side), France (for Saint Bartolomeu, Saint Martin, Guadeloupe and Martinique), Dominica, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Barbados, Grenada and Trinidad & Tobago.Jamaica, Cuba, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Colombia, Costa Rica and the Bahamas. Australia, Galapagos Islands, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Cook Islands, Niue, Tonga, American Samoa, Samoa, Wallis and Futuna, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, France (for visitors of New Caledonia), Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, United States of America (for Hawaii), Kiribati, Tuvalu, Palau and Guam, Australia , Indonesia, France (Reunion, Mayotte), Mozambique, Comoro Islands, Cocos Keeling Islands, Christmas Island, Mauritius, Madagascar, South Africa, Seychelles, Chagos and The Maldives.

(I know one or two are duplicates but they came as a set. We left UK prepared for most places…)
Impressive.
So did you have them all flying today (or at least the subset that are Commonwealth)?

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Impressive.
So did you have them all flying today (or at least the subset that are Commonwealth)?
Canadian ensign (the Maple Leaf) at the stern; Code flags on dressing line from bow to stern via masthead in Commonwealth naval order (Echo, Quebec, P3...Charlie, Sierra); Club burgee at masthead, Province of Ontario red ensign at starboard spreader, Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons ensign at port spreader. Not bad for a Wayfarer :)98FBC7DE-20BB-41A6-9D7A-C05B932B177A.jpeg

ylop

Visit site
Code flags: those of you that carry the full set, have you ever used any other than Q for actual signalling? Or are they just carried so you can go fully dressed when pageants permit?

davidaprice

Visit site
Merihaka Boat Club Finnish ensign, Finnish national ensign, Red Ensign; courtesy flags for UK, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Austria (not to be confused with that of Latvia), Åland islands; set of signal flags permanently tied together for dressing overall; member flags for: Cruising Association, RYA, "Sea Bears", Helsinki Navigation Club; Finnish Navigation Society, Finnish Lifeboat Society; "Keep the Archipelago Tidy" society, Scuttlebutt; Finnish qualification flags for: Ocean Navigator, Boat Skipper, Boating Instructor, Boat Inspector; fun flags for: Gin Pennant, Cocktail, Moomin save the Baltic campaign.

Finnish boats dress overall for Midsummer (well, maybe half the boats in my modest boat club, all the boats in the fancier "Sea Bears"), and maybe once or twice a year for other celebrations (crew member's birthday party, big regatta, etc.).

We didn't dress overall for the Coronation, since our boats are still on the winter hard and the masts aren't up. Launch next Saturday!

johnalison

Visit site
Like some others, my boat is also on the hard, but in my defence I will say that I dressed for the last Jubilee, I think the only one in the marina to do so.

I have a set of flags which I fly in the order shown in my 1940s Yachtsman's Weekend Book as a mark of independence from those that choose to follow the RYA (to which I belong). I have never thought to add my collection of courtesy flags but plan to fly them as a jeu d'esprit some time when before I have to give up the boat.
France
Normandy
Ireland
Belgium
Netherlands
Germany
Denmark
Sweden
Poland
Third substitute

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Code flags: those of you that carry the full set, have you ever used any other than Q for actual signalling? Or are they just carried so you can go fully dressed when pageants permit?
I do use Romeo Yankee (you should reduce speed when passing me), but it never seems to get the desired response.