Down the tideway

BlueMoon1

Visit site
Hi, all.

My brother and I own a Norman 18.5 and we're planning to take her down to the Medway next season. I'd appreciate any hints or tips about the hazards we're likely to meet. Most particularly, where we can buy petrol en route.

Here's the story so far. Bruv has an Inshore skipper's ticket. We both have quite a lot of experience of boat handling and seamanship. We have lifejackets and shall have bought flares before we go. The boat has a good bower anchor and we have two kedges. The boat is powered by a 15 horse four-stroke Yamaha outboard. I have a handheld Marine Band radio and Bruv has a Magellan GPS. We've bought charts of the tideway from Teddington to North Foreland and of the Medway estuary.

Alan

Chris_d

Visit site
Hi Bluemoon, do you intend to do that trip in one day? if so you will need a lot of petrol, you will need to work the tides to keep up your speed, i'm guessing you can only make about 6kts so you will either have to set off againest the tide or arrive againest it. There is no petrol after Shepperton anywhere until you reach the Medway, unless you stop at St Kats or Limehouse and walk to local petrol station, but then you will need more time still.
Also I think your 15hp outboard is bit marginal for the tides you will meet, a 40hp would be better, keep the 15hp as a backup.

Its not a hard trip though, but in that boat you need to plan carefully.

Black Sheep

Visit site
Hi BlueMoon1 - welcome to the forum.
As others have suggested, it depends where you are starting from, and how long you are planning on the trip taking.
It's a great part of the river with loads of interest. I don't know what your expected speed would be, but unless it's very high, you really want to be going with the tide as much as possible.
That might mean an overnight in a marina or on a buoy - but buoys on the tidal Thames tend to be a bit lumpy at night!
There aren't many places to buy petrol that don't involve a stroll from a garage...
You sound well equippped - the most useful kit you have will be the radio (keep listening watch on ch14 to Crayfordness, then ch68 until Medway when it's ch74 I think) as the main hazard will be commercial traffic. (oh and handheld is fine on the Thames) Keep outside the deep channel, and watch for big boats esp downstream of the Dartford bridge.
Overnight? Depends if you can take the ground... Gravesend (PM me for info), or Holehaven. Just into the Medway - a buoy at Queenborough (W Swale) or anchor in Stangate Creek.
As long as the weather is reasonably kind, it's a great journey down the London River, watching it open up from the confines of Greenwich to the open estuary of Sea Reach.
Good luck & keep us posted!
James
ps - one other hazard - bloody raggies at Gravesend!

miket

Visit site
As others have said, a nice trip. You seem a bit light on HP but you should know your own boat. In your place I would also have an auxiliary of no less than 10 HP. At the very least you need take spare shear pins and other expendables. There is still quite a lot of rubbish between Richmond and The Barrier. Also be aware that unless your journey throough the busy (trip boats) pool of London is before they are on the move it will be very rough. I would not wish to traverse that section in an 18 ft boat, especially with only 15 HP. Try for a day when HW Richmond is around 06.00hrs. That will get you through London by 09.00hrs.
The whole trip, to Medway entrance at average 6 knots should take about 10 hours, so the advice of stopping in London would be well taken. Try Galleon Point Marina. Last Marina on the left and although a bit of a desert, distance wise it would place you well for the following day. Check their lock opening times.
Good luck.

Oen

Visit site
...and once you're out of London, don't forget that you can creep up a creek and drop the hook for a rest...

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Just got back from doing tha same trip, bit lumpy of The Nore, and had 2 hours of leaping around at sub 5 knots keeping company with a Seamaster 30. You will want to be pretty certain of your weather but in good conditions it will be a super trip. Stick your nose out to the Mucking and Blyth buoys, that is where it opens up and can get more "interesting" and where the big ships start to speed up.

I'd suggest going in company to start with and maybe a trial run down to Limehouse/Barrier first, to see how you go. As I've said before, on the Norman forum, I don't mind coming with you to Limehouse as its a fun trip to do, subject to calendars. In fact, a forum trip mayhap?

alruss

Visit site
Forum trip sounds good, would suggest overnight at Grenwich Y.C. they hve wet visitors mooring and bar if you arrive on right day. Sunday lunch also available by arrangement.
Hurlingham also has drying visitor mooring for overnight, can arrange bar to be open, if wet moorings required, can arrange some for 1 night. Petrol available from filling stations arround Putney.

Medskipper

Visit site
Do not even try this trip unless the weather forecast is very very good!
The lower reaches of the Thames Particularly Sea Reach is no place for a small boat with only 15hp!
Do not even consider going up against the tide, you will not make any progress and it could well be too much for your engine.
Work the tides and make sure you arrive at Grain spit at low water, this will mean that you will be able to go up the medway avoiding a heavy flow against you. It also means that if the weather changes, and believe me it can very quickly! that you will not get smashed around and will be more comfortable!

I don't want to put you off or sound too dramatic, but this area can be a very dangerous place! The sea can get very rough and short which could result in you having a very bad time! Hell even a large merchant war ship called the Montgomery sank here!

Barry

pheran

Visit site
I certainly agree with your view on this one. Its a trip I have done on many occasions and have seen 27-30 foot river boats get into trouble. In short, I wouldn't do it in an underpowered boat of this size.

ps not wishing to detract from the main message, but it was not bad weather that claimed the Montgomery. She was wrongly ordered to anchor in shallow water, then grounded and broke her back.

ms1

Visit site
I did Medway this year from Teddington (with an overnight in South Dock to get the tides right) in a twin engined boat.
I am not an experienced tidal cruiser but my thought would be that this Norman has too little power. If you must journey to Medway .. join experienced company, or on a trailer.
martin

ADLS

Visit site
Hang on till June bank holiday there will be several Dunkirkers heading down river, some are quite slow so you could keep up.
They will head on up to Ipswich at the Medway so you will cut right.

As all have said take notice of the weather, Queenborough can be very rough. several DLS took a bashing rafted up on the concrete barge taking shelter from bad weather. So much so they had to cut free and take cover further upsteam and these were 10m and 15m boats.

Did Teddington to Gallions marina in 2005 leaving with a bit of tide to punch and waiting outside Gallions for an hour or so for enough water to get in. Point to remember no fuel at gallions and its a long way to filling station. I'd take a few extra tanks to be on safe side.