Does grease damage gelcoat?

G

Does anyone know if grease damages gelcoat. I want to grease up the boat contact points of my trailer to allow easier movement on the trailer. Any experience of this?

Thanks,

Jason.

Visit site
No it doesn't. I used to grease the roller contact points on a small motor cruiser twenty years ago to prevent bruising. Make sure that you have it well tied on though!

Steve Cronin

pvb

Visit site
Use clear silicone grease...

You can buy it at any plumber's merchants. Nice clean stuff to use. Won't show marks on the hull. Lots of other applications for it, too, around the boat.

oldharry

Visit site
Re: Use clear silicone grease...

... except that once it is on the gelcoat you would have the devils own job to get it off again. Which will not matter until you want to paint it. Silicone adheres to gelcoat, and will stop any paint adhering, unless every trace of it is removed chemically or by abrasion.

Whiskey2

Visit site
Re: Use clear silicone grease...

In the gliding world it is a definate non starter using silicone polish on fiberglass because it cannot be repaired unless all the silicone is removed ! It must therfore follow that silicone grease on the skin of a boat needs thinking about... or is it that we break gliders more often :) Mel.

pvb

Visit site
I just wonder...

...what percentage of boats ever get painted? And even if it takes a bit more preparation effort, what's the big deal?

Strathglass

Visit site
Re: I just wonder...

The problem is that it is very difficult to tell if you have got rid of all the silicon before painting and you can end up with what looks like a very good job initially will start to peel the paint off at a later date.
It takes a lot of preparation to get a profesional job there is every benifit in not trying to introduce any potential future problems.
Iain