Does anyone sail without VHF ?

requiem

Visit site
Whilst the US has no VHF carriage requirement for "voluntary" vessels, if you do have one it is mandatory to keep a watch on channel 16*. Of course, since the licensing requirements are broadly waived, almost no one is aware of that, or of other things like DSC beyond it "having something to do with distress".

Since keeping a watch on 16 is also part of the ITU Radio Regs, there's a good chance that most other countries also have this as a requirement.

*small technicalities aside

Visit site
I seem to remember that something in IRPCS requires lookout to be kept by all available means including sound. There's also a point that if radar is fitted it must be switched on. Ours is usually on except when in range of Tarifa who like to set the DSC alarm off about every 20 mins, requesting all ships to keep a lookout for an inflatable with ** persons on board.
Yes all available means, but in my interpretation, you have no obligation to switch the radar on if there is no crew member who knows how to use it for collision avoidance and/or navigation, and who is also on watch. On a yacht, keeping a radar plot is demanding on very limited manpower.
Radar uses plenty of ampere-hours if you're just sailing.
My point being, the Rules are deliberately open to prudent interpretation in this matter, because the Rule-makers did consider the infinitely wide possible variations of crew, equipment, and circumstances.
(Tarifa: Due to refraction, sometimes you can see people on the beach in Morocco, according to my mate's kids who grew up there. )

Last edited:
Visit site
In my opinion it's an essential piece of safety equipment for both yourself and for others.
If you sail without one then you put your own life and potentially the life of others at risk.
If you have one and deliberately have it turned off then that is even worse. Of course you can turn it on if you need it but you won't hear any distress calls from others and therefore be unable to respond.
Irresponsible and poor seamanship.
Yes in general, but it depends.. supposing you were half way between Cornwall and Brittany, and you badly needed a kip. The area is rotten with DSC alerts, which would ruin your vital 40 winks. In that case , VHF gets turned off.

Neeves

Visit site
Our VHF is on whenever we move from our mooring. If leaving Pittwater and sailing north or south in the Tasman we, voluntarily in New South Wales, log into Marine Rescue but request no contact until we reach our destination, we change our plan, or there is some form of emergency. Marine Rescue use repeaters on different channels and we would scan the relevant channels and 16. We also have an SSB which we only have on when receiving a scheduled forecast or contributing to a local HF net, common in Tasmania and crossing Bass Strait.

There is very little traffic, usually, on VHF - once you get away from Sydney

Our VHF is at the chart table and helm, we can turn the volume down (or off) at the chart table - just leaving the audio for the person on watch.

We do turn the VHF off at anchor.

Jonathan

Wansworth

Visit site
I should imagine if it was a requirement turning it off at anchour in the Solent would be mitigating circumstances,listening to “Lindy Loo” make up ten luncharrangements with “Wet Pussy” could drive anybody to drink

greeny

Visit site
I have a VHF and normally keep it turned off when in the vicinity of the Solent. Not irresponsible or even bad seamanship. Those abusing the VHF are the ones being irresponsible and showing bad seamanship as too many boats doing constant radio checks and calling each other up on 16. As I move away from the Solent I start to turn the VHF on but possibly go to a working channel such as used by Lulworth firing range. Further West or south I normally listen on 16 as there is much less chatter.

I left the solent 25 yrs ago so am somewhat behind the times in the pattern of radio usage. Even 25 yrs ago it was overused and misused continuously to the point you certainly turned the volume down to a level that gave you some respite.
An area like the solent has enough radio cover by the authorities to respond to emergency calls so turning off your vhf for periods when you're not using it may be considered acceptable in my opinion and I would probably do the same as you.
My comment on poor seamanship was aimed at the sailing world in general, away from the madhouse of the solent.
There will always be justifiable exceptions to any statement or opinion.

greeny

Visit site
As an aside, I notice Bob C is conspicuous by his absence. Light the blue touchpaper and sit back smiling comes to mind.
I don't believe for one minute that he really does not have his vhf on, down here in Portugal.

greeny

Visit site
Yes in general, but it depends.. supposing you were half way between Cornwall and Brittany, and you badly needed a kip. The area is rotten with DSC alerts, which would ruin your vital 40 winks. In that case , VHF gets turned off.

As I said before there are exceptions to every statement. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be taking 40 winks between cornwall and Brittany though if I was singlehanded. Big ships travelling fast round there as I'm sure you're aware. :)

DownWest

Visit site
'

Good job he didn't post on this forum. He would have had a mauling for his lack of basic precautions!:D
I spent most of my sailing without VHF (or GPS) and tended to admire BH's attitude of 'If you muck it up, drown like a man', but, as above, keeping it on may enable one to help others. I do carry VHF now and if out far enough, keep it on. Local coastal , not so much, mainly because it is well covered by CROSS and I sail a small boat.