does anyone know if its ok to sublet a mooring out?

Niander

Visit site
sublet mooring?
does anyone know if its ok to sublet a mooring out,, if a member of a mooring association and
you move away from the area?

sarabande

Visit site
any relevant clauses in the agreement or lease ?

Any precedent set by other local mooring leasors ?

FWIW Our local mooring association arranged a long term 'swap' last year, with all parties being very transparent about the process and compensation.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Some mooring companies and associations have VERY strong opinions on this subject - and probably for good reason.

For example there are some moorings in certain areas that are reserved for local people. It encourages boat ownership among those who actually live in the area (for better or worse) and you get in the queue to get a mooring at what is often a very low price.

I have heard of some places in the SW where this is abused by people subletting the mooring, or the mooring not actually be used by anyone who actively sails or boats, but is kept in the family as something far too valuable to give up. I have heard stories of mooring companies that oversee the moorings starting to ask for sight of insurance certificates, registrations documents etc etc. with some evidence that the old hulk you have stuck on the mooring is actually going to move and be used. That your 'mooring at a preferential rate on a prime spot on the river' is actually being used by you as a local person etc.

In general, there are usually clauses in the mooring letting agreement that say what you can and cannot do.

For example we own our mooring, but we pay rent to the Duchy for the privilege of having it on Prince Charles's bit of Cornish mud. This is administered by our sailing club. If we leave the mooring to go off sailing round the world, then we are allowed to sublet it (and the club might probably help us do this) but only for as year or so. If we were away for year after year, then they would tell us we had to sell it and apply again, but I understand that there is a gentleman's sort of agreement that if we really are off cruising round the world, they will allow us to keep the mooring and sublet it until we return, if you follow my drift.

Different clubs and mooring associations will have different rules.

Babylon

Visit site
As others have said, different clubs etc have different rules, which you have to find out about.

On the Hamble for example, you can sublet for, I think, up to a season (9mths?) maximum, but officially the sub-lessee has to be supplied by the Harbour Master and cannot be organised privately. When I enquired last autumn I was told that they had no applicants looking for sublets, which I found a little unbelievable.

You can also leave your mooring empty for up to 6mths maximum (from memory) but not longer. Well, circumstances (being away followed by hauling ashore for an extended refit) meant that I left my mooring empty for longer than six months, but with no comeback.

I think all these rules were put in place in the last few years to prevent the sort of abuse that had been going on. One result was that a whole lot of moorings (held by people keeping their boats overseas but creaming off the profit by subletting) were released and the waiting list eased.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
sublet mooring?
does anyone know if its ok to sublet a mooring out,, if a member of a mooring association and
you move away from the area?

As well as the points made by others, it will depend crucially on who owns the mooring. I am a member of a mooring association and own my mooring, so I can do absolutely what I like with it.

VicMallows

Visit site
I am a member of a mooring association and own my mooring, so I can do absolutely what I like with it.

Just as a matter of interest to a southerner, what is the significance of your comment 'I am a member of a mooring association and..' ? Would you not get the mooring if not a member? .... or is it purely a cooperative to maintain the moorings?

Vic

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Just as a matter of interest to a southerner, what is the significance of your comment 'I am a member of a mooring association and..' ? Would you not get the mooring if not a member? .... or is it purely a cooperative to maintain the moorings?

It's at Port Bannatyne on Bute. Loads of space for moorings - you just choose a space, plonk one down and give the Crown Estates some money. Or, if you join the PBMA, half as much money ...