Does anybody recognise this fuel filter?

Kelpie

Visit site
Just off the phone to ASAP who were helpful as always, but unable to identify my fuel filter. I need to get a match on this so that I have some spares in hand for the forthcoming delivery trip of the new yacht.
Filter.jpg

If I can't match it, I guess the prudent thing to do is to get a whole new assembly. I could 'borrow' the racor unit off my existing boat, wouldn't be too hard to do.
Or I could get a very cheap inline filter off eBay, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c3a8ec1aa

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm afraid that's the only photo I have- taken by current owner who, along with the boat, is several hundred miles away...
I have a feeling there may be other codes written on the other side of the filter, but too late now.

Kelpie

Visit site
OK... so, the problem I have is that I will have very little time between taking delivery of the boat and having to move her to her new home. So I'm trying to arrive at the boat armed only with the information I currently have, with a couple of spare filters in hand.

Out of the various Coopers and CAV filters, to what extent are these interchangable?

Heckler

Visit site
OK... so, the problem I have is that I will have very little time between taking delivery of the boat and having to move her to her new home. So I'm trying to arrive at the boat armed only with the information I currently have, with a couple of spare filters in hand.

Out of the various Coopers and CAV filters, to what extent are these interchangable?
As long as it is for the same housing they are interchangeable. Like tyres, different make same size!
Looks like a CAV 296 to me!
Stu

prv

Visit site

I don't claim to be an expert, but I had thought that all CAV-style filters were more or less interchangeable. Or at least, there's a long type and a short type depending on the central bolt in the housing; your picture shows the short type.

I believe the Delphi 296 should fit. Certainly when I bought a random CAV head and a box of ten 296 filters from the link above, they fitted together fine. Although in the end we moved to a dual spin-on racor head for various reasons.

Definitely a good call to have plenty of spare filters with you on a delivery trip. We had the engine die on us when we collected Ariam, due to gunge accumulated in the tank while laid up awaiting sale. Fortunately we had a spare; had the journey been longer than Hamble to Itchen we might have needed several.

Pete

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks, that's good news. The filters are so cheap compared to Racor anyway, I can afford to get a few different types.

Does anyone know what the different numbers actually mean?

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks, that's good news. The filters are so cheap compared to Racor anyway, I can afford to get a few different types.

Does anyone know what the different numbers actually mean?
As others have said it is a CAV or Delphi 289 - probably the most widely used filter there is. All the major filter manufacturers will have equivalents. Make sure the one you buy has the sealing rings with it.

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Looks like a Coopers Fiaam FT5457 to me, but I couldn't say for certain until I got my hands on it.

Where are you picking the new boat up?

Edit: When are you going to pick up your new boat?
I have a couple of spare Racor filters that I won't be needing for a month or so which you are welcome to borrow. If you need to use one, send me the cash, or if you get home without needing them, just post them back to me. Unfortunately, I won't be at the boat this weekend as we are having visitors for Easter (Oh joy!!). Probably the earliest I could get them to you would be end of next week. Is this of any help?

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
As others have said it is a CAV or Delphi 289 - probably the most widely used filter there is. All the major filter manufacturers will have equivalents. Make sure the one you buy has the sealing rings with it.

289?? Do you mean 296? Nobody else has suggested 289, and the 296 is perhaps the most common filter element.

cliff

Visit site
Coopers AZF100 now COOPERS/FIAAM FT4788.
Where are you picking the boat up? Can you not go to the boat, get the details then get a handful of filters at the local filter shoppe FFS even on a Sunday there are swindeleries open.
BTW it does look like a lucas/CAV 296 X referenced to the above Coopers/COOPERSFIAAM nos.

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks for the various offers of help.
The boat is in Essex, loading onto a lorry this week. I won't see her until next Tuesday when she arrives in Mallaig, and I will need to move her from there probably the following morning. I might be lucky and get the right filters locally but I don't want to chance it if I don't have to.

Anyway, if all these CAV filters are interchangeable then it doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

Can anybody explain what the numbers mean? I presume length, microns, maybe diameter all come into it?

symondo

Visit site
Thanks for the various offers of help.
The boat is in Essex, loading onto a lorry this week. I won't see her until next Tuesday when she arrives in Mallaig, and I will need to move her from there probably the following morning. I might be lucky and get the right filters locally but I don't want to chance it if I don't have to.

Anyway, if all these CAV filters are interchangeable then it doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

Can anybody explain what the numbers mean? I presume length, microns, maybe diameter all come into it?

bit off subject but hello!
What size of boat are you receiving? I work at the local radio in Fort William (so no doubt be hit with calls about any potential wide loads)

We too are in the process of looking at fuel filters. We have opted to change like for like in the sense of staying with the CAV 296's purely on the basis of thats what look to be installed from day 1 so they must surely do the job if fitted properly. We have however ordered clear bowls for the bottom opposed to the metal ones so we can see what is passing through or even not passing through the unit.

prv

Visit site
We have however ordered clear bowls for the bottom opposed to the metal ones so we can see what is passing through or even not passing through the unit.

You'll see what is passing through - surprisingly, the bowl in a correctly-installed CAV filter assembly comes after the filter.

You will see any water collected in it, because in CAV filters the water actually passes through the filter paper but collects on the downstream face of it, then drips down into the bowl.

Pete