Do you slacked off the Furlly worlly halliard

Norman_E

Visit site
No, because tensioning it is very hard. It is done at the mast, but the winch is awkwardly placed. The result is that I only slacken it a bit when leaving the boat, and I forgot last time I left it. Mea Culpa!.

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
When I remember to do so I always slacken the furling genoa halyard to take the pressure of the luff. Likewise I also reduce the tension in the backstay, no point in leaving the rig bar-tight when not in use.

Perhaps I'm too kind to my boat.

Poignard

Visit site
No.

I suppose I should but I have an old Rotostay with the halyard fall secured to the drum in front of the foil and tensioned by a lanyard. Fiddling around with that is too much trouble. I do slacken the backstay tensioner so that probably achieves the same result.

Kelpie

Visit site
Hmmm, I don't actually put much tension on the genoa halyard anyway. My furler is on its last legs and it seems to be worse then the halyard is too tight. I don;t really see the need for massive halyard tension when the forestay itself is nice and straight.

I always slacken off the backstay (OK, I've been known to forget from time to time) because my type of boat has a history of mast compression issues so it seems like the right thing to do...

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
It's a good question. I keep all the standing bar tight because according to my rigging book there is LESS stress on everything if it is preloaded and can't flack about or vibrate in the breeze.
The plastimo furling genny halliard is set at the tension which allows it to spin in and out most freely,either too tight or too slack increases the chance of a nightmare snarled-up wrap at the top swivel.
Avoiding wraps and easy furling is a far higher priority than fannying about for theoretically ideal luff tension.

CreakyDecks

Visit site
You could argue that any tension you leave on the halyard is tension you are taking off the forestay and forestay tension is important for preventing fatigue failure of swaged connections.

johnalison

Visit site
Easing the halyard is part of our furling routine & we usually do it before furling the sail, which in anything of a blow I try to do downwind with the pressure off the sail. It's all part of geriatric sailing.

BAtoo

Visit site
Usually slacken the halyard a bit (not enough to get wrinkles).

Usually leave the backstay fairly tight - I prefer the tight rigging route.

Cantata

Visit site
after sailing for the day
or do you prefer to stretch the luff
Certainly do, most especially since I acquired a nice dyneema halliard this year on which I can play tunes.
And I leave the halliard on the winch when I leave the boat, so I remember to tension it before going sailing again.
It's a bit iffy to slacken it before you furl the sail, though, as someone else said they do....can end up with halliard wrap surely?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Different halliard tension is used when sailing to adjust the position of the draught of the sail
If you leave the sail in a state of stretch you will ruin the shape & you will not get the correct sailing shape
Of course if you have a knackered old rag anyway then i do not suppose you will make much difference

Novachris

Visit site
I take my foresail off after a sail, it only takes about ten mins to drop it ,stow it and tiddly everything up before i go home, could be two weeks before i use the boat again..again takes about 10 mins to debag hoist and lightly tension...always done this.

johnalison

Visit site
It's a bit iffy to slacken it before you furl the sail, though, as someone else said they do....can end up with halliard wrap surely?

I think a halyard wrap is more likely if you have too much tension and have to use a winch to furl. A case for a happy medium perhaps.