do any mobo sialors read this forum - if so where were you on friday?

Burnham Bob

Visit site
three gin palaces stormed past us together going out of the Crouch roundabout 2.00 on Fiday and passed us in the vicinity of horse shoal. the wash was horrendous - worst i have ever felt my trapper 500 tossed around and we lost all steerage.

a hail on channel 16 for a polite remonstrance went unanswered. do they really not realise how intolerable they make life? or do not they not care?

rant over but if it was you heading back to wherever you came from please do watch your wash

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Missed that one, we were on the A14 about then, but we did notice an unusually high number of mobos making excessive and unnecessary amounts of wash in the Crouch and Roach over the weekend :(

I'm not talking about the normal big mobo passing at a reasonable distance sort of wash - yes, on a small boat like Brigantia we could do without it but they've as much right to be out there as we have and if they pass us decently wide I can turn into the wash and take it on the nose plus warn any crew engaged in activities below decks or on deck to "ware wash" - these were people who seemed to be going out of their way to be antisocial by blasting past or by going around in circles for no apparent reason.

Oh and to the big mobo who on Sunday morning gunned it through the moorings at Burnham and then turned into the yacht harbour in order to get in ahead of the racing fleet starting a race, you Sir are a ... <expletive deleted>! Bet the racing boys and girls weren't best pleased at being tossed around like nobodies biz any more than we were

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
We watched a mobo come back into Burnham YH on Sunday evening. He made a complete dog's breakfast of coming in, catching his dinghy on the stand thingy with the water and electric on. He couldn't get free and actually seemed to pull the thing loose on the pontoon! The HM mentioned in passing that the mobo was a rather 'wet' boat, which could account for the problems.......

FullCircle

Visit site
A very large Squadron down by Cliff Reach at Low Water while I was anchored in 1.2m of water (yes I was waiting to get back into Bridgemarsh) came by just off the plane. It created a breaking wave which pushed us sideways up the creek and the wave broke over our deck. Pretty remarkable when you consider our high topsides.
We went over by at least 20 degrees, and our keel thumped down twice.
Total ******.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Perhaps we are noticing it more because the sea has been less disturbed because of light winds. It's been blowing so hard all summer.

Have to admit that I find the Crouch pretty terrifying now on a busy weekend.

Am I right in thinking that after about the RCYC, there is no speed limit seawards ? It certainly seems like it.

Sixpence

Visit site
Burnham Bob said:
do any mobo sialors read this forum

There are indeed, some mobo owners who read the East coast forum, some even do it anonymously as they aren't even registered on here. Met one very nice gentleman who came to see us here recently, having read some of my previous ramblings on the ECF about my place. Very much doubt he would be the type to behave as described on this thread, as I wouldn't have done when my mobo was on the water. That sort ruin the day for mobo's too as wash when you are very shallow draft and semi planing hull tends to send everything in the boat flying, so it's not something we should tar all mobo owners with

Fire99

Visit site
On the flip side, I was out on the Blackwater on friday just in my little 'rubber duck' as my boat is laid up looking for the source of it's water feature.

Two big ol MOBO's went past and all on board gave a wave. Ironically about 30 seconds later their boats gave me a wave too. :D

When you're only 12 inches above the water, any wash is an err interesting wash. :)

Burnham Bob

Visit site
by no means am i tarring all mobo sailors with the same brush. it's just unfortunate that even the considerate ones create an unpleasant wash but we can live and let live in most cases - let's face it under 5 knots they probably have very little steerage at all....but some of them are just plain rude, inconsiderate and quite frankly should be torpedoed......is there any way we can take boat names and find them? maybe they just don't realise although i suspect most of them are in the Romford Navy and think they have a right to act the way they do.....

but to those of you that do watch your wash, if you are reading this I hope you had a good time in the sunshine and i agree you have as much right on the river as i do....

Sixpence

Visit site
Bob, somehow I doubt those that behave like that even read here, though I may be wrong, and I agree with your sentiments completely. Just so you know, my mobo has no keel or rudder, so the only steerage available to me is power at the outdrive. Tried to take it steady when I left my first marina years ago, didn't realise the effect this would have and ended up being pushed about by the wind, so I crossed the marina sideways until I ended up pinned to the side :eek:
Not an excuse in open water though, mainly a case of being after a buzz and not thinking of the consequences to others
I feel the need, the need for speed :D

AliM

Visit site
It was a sunny weekend - perfect for mobos - no surprise there were lots about, and when there's almost no wind the wash is more of a pain. However, we didn't have any more trouble with them than we expected. We were in Yokesfleet on Saturday and had the canoe out to paddle round the creeks. Even a small wash is unpleasant on that, but the mobos we did see slowed down for us.

We saw you, Brigantia, and waved, but I don't think you recognised us in the new boat, or in the canoe!

bulto

Visit site
I own a motorboat & will hopefully soon join you on either the Crouch or Blackwater, depending on where we move to. (going house hunting again today)
As our boat is a traditional displacement cruiser capable of about 7 knots on a good day
we are affected by wash the same as a yacht.
I have lost count of the number of times we have rolled on our beam ends by thoughtless
power boats especially in London River.

I reguarly read the East Coast forum as we cruise to your part of the world from the non tidal Thames most years. This year we have cruised between Ipswich & Abingdon and are looking forward to exploring more of the East coast next year when we are permanately based there.

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
Used to be a mobo and used to post regularly on here.
And quite well known by many of both persuasion on here.

There are good and bad in all walks of life and interests.
Unfortunately the few that are really bad stand out much more than others.

I wouldnt recommend every mobo slow down when going past other boats.
My boat caused horrible wash at slower speeds so it was far more comfortable for me to stay at speed but give a wide berth....even turning at 90 degrees to stay away.

others here have said there were lots out....maybe you just had the minority that werent thinking

Why not try a little campaign of inviting some mobo's on for a day and then go on a mobo yourself.
You may be surprised how difficult it is on both to be a "good" boater all the time.....I found it interesting to be on a yacht and many who have been on board with me appreciate the problems a mobo has as well.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I was commenting to the guy next to me in the marina on Sunday that the only people who seemed to be observing the speed limits on the Orwell and the Stour this weekend were the sailors..... I dont think I saw any Mobos managing their wash....

Lots of big (Ala 40 feet) PB's on the plane....

Coming back into Shotley on Sunday two smallish Powerboats came out of the lock... and then went to WOT and came past the posts at a good 20 knots.... I even commented on the radio that it was like the LeMans 24hr.....

I think its becoming more of a issue...

But also saw some muppetness by sailors under power as well... just off SYH I was on port and about to cross with another on STBD when a Southerly under power came right up the middle of us... and then realised he was in a collision situation with the guy on STBD... but clearly had given no thought to myself on Port.... he came to a rapid halt and blocked me from going behind the STBD.... muppet.

morgandlm

Visit site
Problems with wash

Bob - I was on the Blackwater on Friday and heard your VHF call to 3 motor boats near Horse Shoal - did you get any response from any of them?

My wife and I were speculating what the call was about and thought that it was either to do with speed or that they were on course to hit something.
Morgan

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
Used to be a mobo and used to post regularly on here.
And quite well known by many of both persuasion on here.

There are good and bad in all walks of life and interests.
Unfortunately the few that are really bad stand out much more than others.

My boat caused horrible wash at slower speeds so it was far more comfortable for me to stay at speed but give a wide berth....even turning at 90 degrees to stay away.

others here have said there were lots out....maybe you just had the minority that werent thinking

Why not try a little campaign of inviting some mobo's on for a day and then go on a mobo yourself.
You may be surprised how difficult it is on both to be a "good" boater all the time.....I found it interesting to be on a yacht and many who have been on board with me appreciate the problems a mobo has as well.

Great post!

Fire99

Visit site

That is true. Ok my last mobo was only 23ft long but between 5.5kts and being up on the plane it would make considerable wash. 18kts plus and things were a lot calmer (not millpond but calmer)

The fact remains that a big boat with big engines will always generate a fair degree of wash, it's just minimising the best you can the disruption to others.

But as you say, you can't please all people all the time and nobody is perfect :)

Burnham Bob

Visit site
no morgandlm we didn't get a reply although i get the impression the boats in question wouldn't be listening on channel 16 anyway and were totally impervious to the world around them.......

nice to see so many posts from mobo owners who do care! we all have a right to use the water and the post above about the yacht under power skippered by a muppet shows that sailing persuasion is no indicator of consideration for other sailors.