do any mobo sialors read this forum - if so where were you on friday?

DanTribe

Visit site
three gin palaces stormed past us together going out of the Crouch roundabout 2.00 on Fiday and passed us in the vicinity of horse shoal. the wash was horrendous - worst i have ever felt my trapper 500 tossed around and we lost all steerage.

a hail on channel 16 for a polite remonstrance went unanswered. do they really not realise how intolerable they make life? or do not they not care?

rant over but if it was you heading back to wherever you came from please do watch your wash

I suspect these hullabaloos may be the same three.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/dantribe/2011-09-30133509.jpg?t=1317731721
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/dantribe/2011-09-30133603.jpg?t=1317731718
This was near Inner Crouch, very few other boats about and they seemed to alter course to buzz us. Not very good pics because it was on my phone, but tried to get some ID for future reference.
None of them had names visible or any identifying marks, perhaps they don't want to be recognised because they have mischief intent?

Eurybia

Visit site
Recognise those boats....a Fairline Squadron 42 leading followed by a Fairline Targa 47 then a Fairline Phantom 48 won't post names though.

Being a motor boat user I always try to give a wide berth to other users whether they are sailing, motoring or at anchor. There are times however when others don't help themselves from the effects of wash such as anchoring in the middle of the river etc. I am afraid that at 20 knots my wash is less than if I were at 14. This may not be understood by those swearing at me as I pass. Although dropping down to displacement speed would produce very little wash this is not always practicable.

As has been said before there can be a general lack of consideration from all types of users on the water IMHO but the same can be said in all walks of life. On the other hand there is also an element of lack of tolerance if it is not in keeping with ones viewpoint or activity.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
wow, no need for being that close and doing that speed.
give us considerate mobo's a bad name.

And that's the trouble really - most motor boaters ARE considerate (making allowances for what is practicable and reasonable to expect ... just as they're having to make allowance for us zig-zagging backwards and forwards 'cos we're too stoopid to use a sensible ENGINE :D)

Unfortunately, as in all walks of life, there is always a minority that spoils the fun for everybody but themselves.

Ho hum, life's too short to get wound up about it and despite the wash merchants it was a nice weekend to be out on the water

DanTribe

Visit site
wow, no need for being that close and doing that speed.
give us considerate mobo's a bad name.

Steve, they seemed much closer than the pictures suggest. We were only doing about 2 knots through the water and the wash from the 1st boat stopped us dead and spun us to point towards the 3rd boat. Although we were stationary, he must have thought we were deliberately aiming for him.
We were on our way back from Orwell and had earlier commented how much more considerate the motor boats were there and that all water users co-existed in harmony.

DanTribe

Visit site
A very large Squadron down by Cliff Reach at Low Water while I was anchored in 1.2m of water (yes I was waiting to get back into Bridgemarsh) came by just off the plane. It created a breaking wave which pushed us sideways up the creek and the wave broke over our deck. Pretty remarkable when you consider our high topsides.
We went over by at least 20 degrees, and our keel thumped down twice.
Total ******.
DSCF4736.jpg

We were anchored at Cliff on Sunday lunchtime with a bunch of sprogs in dinghies & swimming. This guy decided to give us a demo of his skill. Very clever, we all thought.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
thanks Dan - yes it looks like the same three who stormed past us with no regard for the effect of their cumulative wash.

Eurybia if you do know them why not ask them to read this thread - they don't need to register but maybe they would see for the first time the effect they have on other people and the disrepute they are bringing on responsible owners. maybe they just don't realise - that's more charitable than my original assessment!

Again, thanks to the responsible and considerate mobo sailors who have made their views known here.

Eurybia

Visit site
thanks Dan - yes it looks like the same three who stormed past us with no regard for the effect of their cumulative wash.

Eurybia if you do know them why not ask them to read this thread - they don't need to register but maybe they would see for the first time the effect they have on other people and the disrepute they are bringing on responsible owners. maybe they just don't realise - that's more charitable than my original assessment!

Again, thanks to the responsible and considerate mobo sailors who have made their views known here.

Other than saying 'hello' at the marina I don't have anything to do with them. To be quite honest I'd rather not associate with them nor be associated with them.

Wash from powered craft, it would seem, will always be a problem to some craft in the river, especially those at anchor. I don't like being rocked about too much at anchor so rarely anchor in the unrestricted speed areas such as Cliff Reach. I prefer the more sheltered waters of Yorkesfleet Creek.

It would seem that at least two of the pictured boats don't liked being rocked about either as they can be often found in a sheltered anchorage just inside Bridgemarsh Island opposite Black Point.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
yes it is seawothy Ricky S

Just read the cheeky comment from Ricky S.......yes the boat is seaworthy - with the previous owner it has coped fine with voyages to Gibraltar and the Baltic.......but as far as wash is concerned, Friday was by far the worst I have ever experienced......much worse than waves or swell generated by wind and tides

any particular reason you asked Ricky S?

ricky_s

Visit site
Just read the cheeky comment from Ricky S.......yes the boat is seaworthy - with the previous owner it has coped fine with voyages to Gibraltar and the Baltic.......but as far as wash is concerned, Friday was by far the worst I have ever experienced......much worse than waves or swell generated by wind and tides

any particular reason you asked Ricky S?

Was a bit tongue in cheek.

I don't know the area but it does look like it was an open area where you would expect to possibly be thrown around.

My boat is only 25 foot and I get thrown about as well, but it goes with the territory as far as I am concerned.

andyo83

Visit site
It looks from the pictures like they made no effort to avoid creating the wash in the slightest, which in my opinion is out of line.

I'm a moboer I'd have slowed, or given you a wider passing if i was feeling throttle happy!!

DanTribe

Visit site
It looks from the pictures like they made no effort to avoid creating the wash in the slightest, which in my opinion is out of line.

I'm a moboer I'd have slowed, or given you a wider passing if i was feeling throttle happy!!

There's no reason that they needed to slow down, it was near the river mouth and no speed limit. Wash has become a nuisance on the Crouch but we just have to put up with it.
However the river is about half a mile wide at this point and there was very little other traffic, a small alteration of course earlier would have taken them clear of us. It did appear that they in fact altered course to pass closer, which is why I took the photos.

andyo83

Visit site
Yeah, i didn't know where the picture was taken, so i didn't know whether anything was stopping them from altering course to provide as little disruption as possible.

But having cleared that, its a shame you didn't have their details to name and shame.

maxcampbell

Me - village in south cambs. Boat - Brightlingsea
www.youtube.com
Hullaballoos

Whenever I see gin palaces going fast, I just think there's just not enough tax being paid.

To push something that big, that inefficiently, at that speed, burning fossil fuels, as a leisure choice, does genuinely disgust me more than most things I can think of. In general I'm pretty moderately green, but this is enough to turn anyone (3 together... splutter...).

Maybe the Hullaballoos are Environment Agency agents provocatuers, spreading negative PR.

Fire99

Visit site
Whenever I see gin palaces going fast, I just think there's just not enough tax being paid.

To push something that big, that inefficiently, at that speed, burning fossil fuels, as a leisure choice, does genuinely disgust me more than most things I can think of. In general I'm pretty moderately green, but this is enough to turn anyone (3 together... splutter...).

Maybe the Hullaballoos are Environment Agency agents provocatuers, spreading negative PR.

Well each to their own and all that and if you work out how much fuel an average boat like that uses per year, it's probably not that much. Not in the big scheme of things.

Regarding money, I spent a night out in the 'City' a couple of weeks back and the stories on income and bonus's are eye-watering. It really is another world and believe me, the fuel bill for a weekend hooning would be of zero concern.

To me it's just a simple courtesy issue. If there is plenty of sea room, give other boats a wide berth (excuse the pun) so everyone can enjoy the water in their own way without too many grumbles against each other.

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk

Max... the issue here is not the amount of fuel being consumed or tax being paid it the anti social and possibly dangerous wash that was made by a few motor boats, for what reason we do not know.

if the fossil fuel issue disgusts you that much what carbon offset / green credit scheme do you subscibe to ?