diy build - catamaran kits

johnm

Visit site
Hi,

I am just starting to research the possibility of building a 40+(ish) foot catamaran. My preference is aluminium largely due to its strength. I have owned several steel and concrete mono-hulls and appreciate the safety such materials afford. However, cost is an issue as well as the ease of build. In the end I want this for my retirement in a few years and the long planned voyages that work and other commitments have never allowed!
I have re-fitted secondhand boats and have often felt it would be easier to build from scratch. Several builders have said much the same.
So I would very much appreciate any advice on the choice of a DIY catamaran design, materials, etc, etc.
Thank you for any advice !
Kind regards,
John.

gascomm

Visit site
i've just spent the day reading around http://wharram.com and whilst initially taken aback by the simplicity of the smaller boats - the philosophy behind them makes perfect sense ... not so sure if they'd suit the British climate tho ; ) i guess it depends where they're going to?

quite a few projects in progress for sale here http://www.multihulls.uk.com/wharram/boats.htm

hope that helps. i look forward to seeing what other types of self-build pop-up

William_H

Visit site
Building a catamaran

If you are determined to build a new boat from scratch then I can only suggest that you start from a recognised and well regarded fibreglass molding. You then finish the boat. Plenty of work there.
This gives you an end product which is virtually a factory built boat with all the advantage of resale value.
This may be possible by hauling out old molds from storage.
A Wharam cat is just too old fashioned to be considered. ie no protection from sun or elements.

However I must say despite your comments that second hand is the best way to go. Perhaps travel to Queensland to look at S/h market and start cruising from there. good luck olewill

simonfraser

Visit site
IF you are going to build rather than buy a renovation project, i'd suggest you build in ply / cedar strip. check out grainger multihulls.

snowleopard

Visit site
I've built two 40 footers, a tri and a cat. Both were in foam sandwich which is strong and very light. In terms of ease and speed of build I am convinced there is no other method that comes close. A key factor is that no moulds are required. Kelsall designs

If you have worked with aluminium before and are a skilled welder you may well be able to do a good job but if you haven't, forget it. Where you would find a design, I have no idea, much less a kit.

By building you will get more boat for your money but are you prepared to spend 2+ years of your life on the build? Some enjoy the building as much as the sailing, others just see it as a chore to be got through to get afloat. For every two projects started, one never sees the water so you need to be sure you have the determination to see it through.