Diy bow thruster controller

stu9000

Visit site
Thruster not working and its amazing how much i miss it in the marina. I was doing my due diligence yesterday and it looks like my sidepower sp55 controller has packed up, again. I'm not keen on spending over £100 to replace what is essentially a simple on off switch. Other posts on this forum suggest all the cover stuff is done at the thruster unit so I might make a simple diy arrangement.

There are 4 wires to the controller. Two are power (and they do have power). I guess the controller feeds live power to the blue or purple wire to command the thruster to spin.

I could check this by shorting red to purple. Any reason why I should not so this???

Screenshot_20231024_212834_Gallery.jpg

oldgit

Visit site

Joystick Switch for Bow and Stern Thrusters - and for other uses​

Ebay about £20.00.
However take the original switch to bits and you can mebbe replace one of the x 2 contacts which usually fails for around £10.00.
Simple clip in job but you may have to change the wire ends in my case to crimp on lucars.
A forumite provided the details, its a pattern switch used elsewhere and available on line.
The P&P cost more than the switch. :(
The rubber sleeve on my joystick had perished and allowed rain water ingress, it only lasted 20 years.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It might be prudent to fit an on/off switch too, to prevent accidental thruster engagement. But no reason not to use standard switches. I would recommend Carling Contura switches, available with various style tops, illumination etc. Might even find tops that say 'thruster'

Fire99

Visit site

Joystick Switch for Bow and Stern Thrusters - and for other uses​

Ebay about £20.00.
However take the original switch to bits and you can mebbe replace one of the x 2 contacts which usually fails for around £10.00.
Simple clip in job but you may have to change the wire ends in my case to crimp on lucars.
A forumite provided the details, its a pattern switch used elsewhere and available on line.
The P&P cost more than the switch. :(
The rubber sleeve on my joystick had perished and allowed rain water ingress, it only lasted 20 years.
I have this very switch to replace a bow thruster joystick on my flybridge. I bought a square of tinted perspex to mount the joystick into. That was about 18 months ago. It works great, though it isn't super durable with heavy weather so I would keep it out of the weather when not in use.

I did buy one of those cheap winch remote controls and wired that in too, so I now have joysticks AND a remote that works perfectly. Well worth a total cost of about 35-40 quid.

stu9000

Visit site
I have this very switch to replace a bow thruster joystick on my flybridge. I bought a square of tinted perspex to mount the joystick into. That was about 18 months ago. It works great, though it isn't super durable with heavy weather so I would keep it out of the weather when not in use.

I did buy one of those cheap winch remote controls and wired that in too, so I now have joysticks AND a remote that works perfectly. Well worth a total cost of about 35-40 quid.
This would be good for a longer term set up. Eventually I want to run the wiring up to the helm. Currently it is on the side coaming so I do not want a big 🕹️ joystick. No doubt this exposed position is part of the problem but I'll get it working for now and rewire in the spring.
This is what I have gone for
61VqD9ZoxnL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0912GFHD2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I will install a power switch.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
This would be good for a longer term set up. Eventually I want to run the wiring up to the helm. Currently it is on the side coaming so I do not want a big 🕹️ joystick. No doubt this exposed position is part of the problem but I'll get it working for now and rewire in the spring.
View attachment 166632

Amazon.co.uk

As that is wired it will not work for your bows thruster. Bin the wiring and just use three of the terminals, positive to the common and left/right to the other two.

Fire99

Visit site
View attachment 166632

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0912GFHD2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Definitely a lot more robust looking switch and much less 'in the way' than a joystick that could have some interesting results if you accidentally catch a lifejacket buckle on it.. (Just assuming the location with the side coaming) :D

stu9000

Visit site
OK so it worked... sort of. Thruster only thrusts one way, no matter which way I toggle the switch. To summarise, I took out the controller that looks like this...
20231105_160711.jpg
...and replaced it it with this switch:
61vqd9zoxnl-_sx522_-jpg.166632

The two blue wires went to earth and live on the pigtail. The red and black wires are the 'signal' that gets sent when switch is toggled. It works one way. When I toggle the other way, it still thrusts the same way the first toggle goes.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
OK so it worked... sort of. Thruster only thrusts one way, no matter which way I toggle the switch. To summarise, I took out the controller that looks like this...
View attachment 167196
...and replaced it it with this switch:
61vqd9zoxnl-_sx522_-jpg.166632

The two blue wires went to earth and live on the pigtail. The red and black wires are the 'signal' that gets sent when switch is toggled. It works one way. When I toggle the other way, it still thrusts the same way the first toggle goes.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
You missed post #12

Can you pull the wires off and post a pic of the back of the switch ?

If there are 2 rows of three terminal, these would typically be, centre terminal common, top and bottom ones on/off depending on the switch position, repeated for the other three terminals, which in your case you ignore. Check with a multimeter.

stu9000

Visit site
You missed post #12

Can you pull the wires off and post a pic of the back of the switch ?

If there are 2 rows of three terminal, these would typically be, centre terminal common, top and bottom ones on/off depending on the switch position, repeated for the other three terminals, which in your case you ignore. Check with a multimeter.
Brilliant. Yes missed post 12. There are indeed 6 connections at the back of the switch. I will do as you suggest. Thanks.

grahamdouglass

Visit site
i am adding a Vetus controller panel to a Lewmar bow thruster. I have a trawler with both a lower and upper steering station. I am hard wired to the lower station. I have a remote for the upper station but the remote is broken. It is cheaper to replace with a hard wired upper controller.
Question. The controller panels have a built in time delay to prevent switching direction of thrusts with out letting the thruster propeller stop before reversing direction. With a simple toggle switch, have you experienced a problem with no time delay?

Other threads that may be of interest