Disposing of old petrol

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
>NO NO!! dont do that. It is very dangerous to light bonfires with petrol.<

If I'd known that when I was a kid, I wouldn't be here today!

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot dispute that it is dangerous thing to try. Every year a number, admittedly a small number, of people are seriously burned lighting bonfires or BBQs with petrol. If you do it its up to you but to actually advise someone else to do it is the absolute height of irresponsibility.

I expect you experimented with with sugar and weed killer as well. I did but a few years ago I worked with a guy who had lost an eye doing so!

G

[ QUOTE ]
I've used old petrol (with or without two-stroke oil) in a Diesel car before. Only a litre or so added into a fullish tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

A common practice to improve winter characteristics of diesel is addition of petrol .... normally not more than 2% but figures of 5% have been quoted by some farmers etc. 2ltrs in a full tank of 70 ltrs may be a bit much in my view ... but split across 2 or 3 tank fulls .... why not.

misterg

Visit site
Please, please don't try and set fire to it.

Several years ago, being somewhat gung-ho, I was using petrol to get a bonfire going at the bottom of my garden(not the first time I had done this):

Having doused the bonfire (only garden stuff) with petrol, I gingerly pushed a lighted bunch of paper into it, to get it started. I stepped back, expecting the usual WHOOMPH! as it caught. I saw the flames start to catch, then there was this god almighty THUD! (Like a big firework mortar being launched, only much louder). The ground shook then everything went totally quiet.

I was a little dazed, and it took several seconds for me to take stock of the situation. The main bonfire had been blown out, but there were little flames coming from several surrounding items that had been nowhere near the fire. Thankfully as the weather had been damp, the flames didn't get a real hold on anything, and were easy enough to put out.

I believe that this was a fuel / air explosion.

It scared the [--word removed--] out of me, and made me quite evangelical about respecting the dangers of petrol (hence this post). Still a pyromaniac at heart, though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So please, please don't try and set fire to it. Use it up as others have suggested.

Andy

sarabande

Visit site
Not PETROL into diesel for winter use, but PARAFFIN.

(and don't forget to reclaim the tax you paid on the paraffin.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

ccscott49

Visit site
Just add it to you outboard fuel a 25% at a time, be fine!!
We used fuel in our landrovers in the libyan desert, in 1970, which was recovered from wartime fuel dumps!

Lakesailor

Visit site
Sodium chlorate and sugar 1:1.
Burns viciously in the open air. Put it in a length of 22mm copper pipe with crimped end. Push a twin core bellwire in with a fuse wire across the end and crimp up the top (carefully) retire to safe distance paying out the bellwire and put ends of bellwire across a car battery. Wait until the packing cases and tennis court turf stop raining down. Wonder why you can't hear very well. Go to inspect crater in tennis court.

Of course you shouldn't do any of this. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
Not PETROL into diesel for winter use, but PARAFFIN.

(and don't forget to reclaim the tax you paid on the paraffin.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Parafin (actually Lamp Kerosene) is common traders trick with diesel for Cloud Pt ... but farmers, motorists etc. petrol is the common way in olden days ... The benefit of petrol is that it actually breaks up the Parafins that cause CFPP problems ....

But what would I know - I usually use full blown additives in the thousands of tons of fuel we treat !! (FYI - we are treating about 60,000 to 100,000 tons of diesel each month ...)

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jeremyshaw

Visit site
It makes an excellent weedkiller. I've used old petrol on gravel drives, bits of dead ground etc. Nothing will grow for months. The smell goes after a short while. Obviously you need to be very careful there is no risk of ignition, and you are not going to pollute watercourses etc. But it does the job.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Go to inspect crater in tennis court.

[/ QUOTE ]

But thats two months later when you get out of hospital, and only if you can find it with your white stick.

Are you also going to tell us all how to make nitrogen tri iodide.

Acetone and hydrogen peroxide make a good explosive as well i believe, and hydrogen peroxide and flour

Steve_Bentley

Visit site
Several thoughts of no particular relevance:

1) I saw a friend start a bbq with a tiny amount of petrol and a blowtorch which resulted in such an explosion and scaring everyone around I had to conclude he was a total idiot.

2) a friend showed me some photos over xmas taken from a military refueling jet. very interesting but the relevance here is that two fighter jets didn't turn up so they had to dump the surplus fuel at sea to make a safe landing- all 10 tonnes of it. I don't know how often that happens but it might put the evaporation of the odd litre or two into perspective.

3) I have a gallon or two of old LRP and a gallon or so of old unleaded I don't want to run through my car (cat converter) or 30hp Mariner. I had to have the Mariner serviced after the last lot of 1year old fuel clogged it up and wouldn't start properly.

On these cold nights I like the idea of trying the 'Kamikazee cooker'!

sarabande

Visit site
I speak as a simple (i.e. wrong !) agricultural user.

I take back what I said. If you have the time can you explain about why diesel goes waxy, and the best way (petrol, paraffins, ketones) to stop "summer"diesel waxing up, please ?

(it might have boaty implications when the distributors start putting white diesel into the marinas. I doubt whether people are going to empty their summer tanks come Michaelmas.)

G

[ QUOTE ]
I speak as a simple (i.e. wrong !) agricultural user.

I take back what I said. If you have the time can you explain about why diesel goes waxy, and the best way (petrol, paraffins, ketones) to stop "summer"diesel waxing up, please ?

(it might have boaty implications when the distributors start putting white diesel into the marinas. I doubt whether people are going to empty their summer tanks come Michaelmas.)

[/ QUOTE ]

To explain would be a commercial aspect for me. As to Road (white diesel) vs Red in terms of summer / winter - why do you think there will be a difference ? Red and Road are rated at usually about -5C CFPP ... in a lot of cases especially when Russian stock gasoil - it's -7C ... BEFORE additives ...

In majority of cases fuel tanks on boats in UK are low enough in the boat to be affected by surrounding sea-water temp - keeping it above that point. Anyway addition of petrol or kero spike will be enough.

We supply and inject additives that push that CFPP temp down into the EN590 lower specs of -15, -21, etc. - even to arctic grades if necessary .......

Simply - don't worry about it .... Suppliers should alter their stock winter / summer through normal restock issues .. that wouldn't normally affect you as user. And in fact road diesel has a lower temp spec than Red ...

richardandtracy

Visit site
H2O2 + Flour doesn't seem to be a very effective explosive to me, especially if 4 out of 4 loonies can get the mix wrong on 21 July 2005.

Now, what I want to know is how we can legally make explosive to play with in small quantities at home. I'm not especially fond of my eyebrows, so I don't mind risking them - I'm just interested in knowing how to make fireworks, or even defending myself when the revolution comes.

Regards

Richard.

bedouin

Visit site
By this time I'm sure Special Branch and MI5 are monitoring this thread and all participants have now been designated potential terrorist threats and so eligible for an indefinite holiday somewhere near Cuba /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
I remember from school science lesson the teacher making a gas bomb.

Take an empty and cleaned out paint tin with a small hole in the bottom and the lid. Remove lid, seal bottom hole with a finger, then hold it over a gas tap until can full of gas. Then put on lid, turn can right way up and place on stand. Light gas coming out hole in lid. (Gas must have been lighter than air in them days!)

When gas coming out top has burned off sufficiently and been replaced with air going in bottom hole to make an explosive mixture, the resultant BANG ! is quite spectacular! ! The lid went right up to the roof (high old building), and can went across the room somewhere!

Can you imagine science masters being allowed to demonstrate that today? Certainly impressed 20 14-year old boys, and said master went right up in our estimation!

richardandtracy

Visit site
When I bought my metalworking lathe/mill in Dec 2001 I was told by the lathe retailer my name had to be given to 'A Government Department'. Apparently terrorists only use new lathes when building bombs, so this is an effective anti terrorist measure

Regards

Richard.

richardandtracy

Visit site
I'd forgotten about gas bombs.
When at school I once heard a huge explosion and my chemistry master ran at full pelt to another lab where a similar demonstration had been given, with Hydrogen as the flammable gas. The other class' chemistry master had yattered on too long and blew a 5 litre winchester bottle to smithereens. The Headmaster had to yell at the offending teacher the next day, because he couldn't hear anything until then.

Regards

Richard.

beancounter

Visit site
Ohmigawd.....

... a perfectly innocent post has brought a bunch of would-be Guy Fawkes' out of the closet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shock and Awe, anyone?