Dingy Foredeck Storage

goeasy123

Visit site
What do we think about colapsing the tubes on an upturned Al hulls RIB to store it on the foredeck of a sailing yacht to create more work space when on passage?

We have a 40ft Najad and want to get the biggest dingy we can fit on the front. The Highfield 290LT Ultralight looks likely.

Tranona

Visit site
No reason why not, although chafe on the deflated tubes might be an issue. The spec says either PVC or Hypalon tubes - the latter would be better from a durability point of view. However it is "light" in comparison with the standard (39kg against 59kg) but the tube spec seems the same so presumable the saving is in the hull, transom and the extra fittings in the standard.

goeasy123

Visit site
No reason why not, although chafe on the deflated tubes might be an issue. The spec says either PVC or Hypalon tubes - the latter would be better from a durability point of view. However it is "light" in comparison with the standard (39kg against 59kg) but the tube spec seems the same so presumable the saving is in the hull, transom and the extra fittings in the standard.
The standard (Classic) has a raises floor and locker. The front is more squared off, therefore more material in the tubes. Squared off... means it won't fit on our deck. Whatever's hapening in Eurrope Hypalon is hard to get... special order from a lot of suppliers. The price difference is significant and all the manufactures have done a job on promoting the fancy German PVC.

Tranona

Visit site
The standard (Classic) has a raises floor and locker. The front is more squared off, therefore more material in the tubes. Squared off... means it won't fit on our deck. Whatever's hapening in Eurrope Hypalon is hard to get... special order from a lot of suppliers. The price difference is significant and all the manufactures have done a job on promoting the fancy German PVC.
Not surprised that Hypalon is much more expensive and probably prices the product out of its market sector. Stowing inverted with the tubes deflated will reduce exposure to UV which is the killer of most welded PVC tubes and maybe canvas "chaps" for the tubes would be a good idea not only for UV protection when in use by chafe protection when stowed.

dunedin

Visit site
Where are you going "on passage"? Though many do it, I wouldn't want a large dinghy on a smallish (for blue water) yacht foredeck in a serious storm mid ocean with solid water over the decks. At minimum would want custom chocks and lashings - but again personally I would go for air floor and full deflation for ocean crossing.
If a passage is cross channel or similar short hop within 3 day forecast window, very different.

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
Just to introduce a totally different option, we also struggled for fore-deck space (thanks, babystay) and didn't want a soft bottom dinghy. Several years of full time use landing on beaches etc wouldn't have been kind to it.
In the end decided to build our own dinghy from ply/epoxy. Stows in 1.7x1.4m space, LOA 3.4m. Has carried up to nine people comfortably.

The main downside is that it's not a fast planing dinghy. We use a 3.5hp which gets us up to about 5-6kt in most conditions.

Boathook

Visit site

goeasy123

Visit site
Where are you going "on passage"? Though many do it, I wouldn't want a large dinghy on a smallish (for blue water) yacht foredeck in a serious storm mid ocean with solid water over the decks. At minimum would want custom chocks and lashings - but again personally I would go for air floor and full deflation for ocean crossing.
If a passage is cross channel or similar short hop within 3 day forecast window, very different.
Agree with the passage situation. The passage is east to west Atlantic to Caribbean and east coast USA. However, we've chartered in the Carrib. Small and low power is just miserable, especially on the windward side. A roll up won't survive the beach landing. We need capacity for provisioning, and speed and sea handling for long hikes.

dunkelly

Visit site
I used an Avon supersport 3.4 hypalon with aluminium floor . Inflated all the time coastal on the deck and deflated for the crossing . No problem beach landing, dinghy lasted me thirty five years and still sold it to a grateful new owner this year . Saw many pvc wrecks whilst cruising the Carribbean , wouldn't dream of going there without some sort of hypalon dinghy - well worth the price difference in the end .

dunedin

Visit site
Agree with the passage situation. The passage is east to west Atlantic to Caribbean and east coast USA. However, we've chartered in the Carrib. Small and low power is just miserable, especially on the windward side. A roll up won't survive the beach landing. We need capacity for provisioning, and speed and sea handling for long hikes.
If you need a big dinghy tender, and want a rigid floor, then it sounds like a Jaws situation …… think you need a bigger boat (yacht) ! :cool:

Kelpie

Visit site
I used an Avon supersport 3.4 hypalon with aluminium floor . Inflated all the time coastal on the deck and deflated for the crossing . No problem beach landing, dinghy lasted me thirty five years and still sold it to a grateful new owner this year . Saw many pvc wrecks whilst cruising the Carribbean , wouldn't dream of going there without some sort of hypalon dinghy - well worth the price difference in the end .
That's an impressive lifespan. How much use was it getting? Huge difference between a couple of fortnight long cruises each year, and full time liveaboard.

I recently helped a guy who was trying to repair his Highfield hypalon RIB. It had been in full time use in the Caribbean for 8yrs and was basically knackered. The seams were coming apart and he could barely make it to shore without pumping it up each time. And yes, he had chaps on it.