Diesel oven, gas hob

Benbow

Visit site
I posted this in the middle of a thread about gas cookers, and not surprisingly did not get any response. I imagine this is a better place to raise it.

I have been musing about cooking on my next boat. I think I would like a hybrid arrangement with the oven diesel powered and the hobs gas. My thinking is that gas is often a pain in the neck to obtain, but diesel can be a pain in the neck to fire-up for a cup of tea. I figure a combination will work well, as not using the gas for the oven will massively reduce consumption thus meaning I can carry enough to last for ages. I know gas hobs are readily available, but does anyone know of a reliable, small, simple, well insulated diesel-powered oven without a hob ?

Any other comments ? I also worry about relaibility of diesel systems,

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
Dont know if this will help but We use gas hobs for cooking and electricty for boling water(Kettle).

The gas lastes for ever, we have the big bottles, and if on the go we use small kettle (low amps 450W) in a marina we use 1kw kettle.

we do you gas on the go if it is not rough !

never used diesel?

<hr width=100% size=1>

mike_bryon

Visit site
Wallas make a diesel oven without hob it is the 96D and is listed at £1,242 plus vat!! I do not know any more try talking to Kuranda (have a stand at the Southampton Boat Show) telephone 01663 734800. Website www.kuranda.co.uk
They may know of other options.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I have never had much problem getting gas - anywhere - the only problem I really encountered was that Calor is not worth having in europe - Camping gaz is universal - expensive in France to refill but very cheap in Spain (goverment subsidy)- canaries and all med countries - Caribbean - if you cannot get an exchange someone will always fill for you.
You get into problems for the first time in the USA where the strict rules mean you have to buy an american bottle (most petrol stations have a refil hose for the bottles) It is difficult to install, because of the different fixings, to get a proper joint into your gas system and in the end I did a bodge.....
Australia is also a problem because they too have strict rules and that means you have to buy an australian bottle or 2 - quite inexpensive and it fits into the US system.
I used to carry about 3 blue camping gaz (when you have them filled by locals the pressure of course is not too high) 1 American for USA only and 2 small Australian but dumped all but Camping Gaz once I got to Asia. Frankly I think gas is the way to go if you are travelling - when you get to the Pacific its difficult sometimes to find diesel!!!

Hope its helpful
regards
Michael

<hr width=100% size=1>If you have time visit my web site
www.michaelbriant.com/sailing

Benbow

Visit site
Thanks, thats a useful perspective. I must say that I have found getting refills for big (13Kg) propanes and small butanes (4.5 Kg ?) has been a problem - or at least an irritation - around Britain. I avoid marinas and obvious yotty areas and several times I have spent the best part of a day lugging cylinders around small towns looking for a petrol station with gas. But maybe the situation is different in the Med ? Never been there, but plan to.

<hr width=100% size=1>

roly_voya

Visit site
Just a thought bt what about going for the diesel stove and hob and ditching the gas then Putting in a holder for a big pump action flask - fill the flask when you make a meal and you have instant boiling water for drinks on tap till the nex meal. Second alternative is to get a single gass ring just for boiling water

<hr width=100% size=1>