Diesel heaters now £75

mrangry

Visit site
I am always bemused reading these posts where people get all hot (excuse the pun) and bothered about the fitting of these heaters yet will happily install/repair other items on board that also produce CO and can pose a fire risk. Diesel engine, gas cooker, generator etc etc

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Right - in my opinion - @Bigplumbs is totally correct on the price of the heaters which are perfectly safe for a boat install - Providing you do your homework and replace the less quality parts supplied.
I have installed mine about 2 1/2 years ago now and works perfectly.

That said - if you are at all unsure of the install of these heaters then stay away and get someone in who does.

all diesel heaters are in fact as hazardous / dangerous as each other whether its from China / Germany / Outer Mongolia - it is purely down to the installer who should know what he/she is doing.

Thats me done on this subject - I fear this is going to drag on and on and on like a soap opera.
Or indeed like the Electric Car thread in the Lounge except these Diesel heaters are a reasonable price and Perform well :ROFLMAO:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I am always bemused reading these posts where people get all hot (excuse the pun) and bothered about the fitting of these heaters yet will happily install/repair other items on board that also produce CO and can pose a fire risk. Diesel engine, gas cooker, generator etc etc
It also makes me smile that People who use the 'So called Professionals' have no idea generally if they actually know what they are doing

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I think you’ve been here long enough to know that the forum is a broad church

But you miss the point - getting excited because something that was £90 is now £75 is somewhat odd if the other parts you need were £250 and are now £275!

I honestly don’t know how they can make and ship the unit from China to the U.K. for under £70. I know they aren’t sophisticated, and obviously they’ve almost zero r&d costs given they rip off someone else’s design. The surprising thing is they don’t offer a boat version with the bits you need (and leaving out stuff like the fuel tank you probably don’t).
Why on earth do you think you need to spend a further £250, Simply not true. When I install these I always use the supplied fuel tank

oldgit

Visit site
Totally up to the individual if he/she wants to play russian roulette there cheap for a reason...........it'll cost a bit more than £69.99 to put right when the boat catches fire View attachment 169945

"when the boat catches fire" ..................................................... a hyperlink to this documented disaster would be useful ?

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
Why on earth do you think you need to spend a further £250, Simply not true. When I install these I always use the supplied fuel tank
Ok so make this thread into a useful contribution to a boating forum - include links to suitable components to turn your 70 quid heater into one suitable for a typical boat installation… after all you apparently need to be stupid to not know how to do that - but I think you’ll be doing well to find exhaust, through hull, lagging, ducting and outlets, plus decent fuel line and hose clips for less than 4x the cost of the heater

ylop

Visit site
When I install these I always use the supplied fuel tank
so not a typical boat install then! Obviously there will be some outboard powered boats where a fuel tank is needed but most peoples install is quite a bit different to a typical vehicle set up.

jaminb

Visit site
My experience / thoughts

My Webasto conked out the other day - coked up fuel mister. Repaired on the boat / pontoon within a week by the guy who fitted it originally. According to the diagnostic report no other issues in the 15 years since it was originally fitted. In my mind probably worth paying 4 times the cost of a new cheapo to repair based on exceptional service and historic reliability.

My mate fitted a cheapo heater in his camper van, the supplied fuel tank split and leaked diesel all over his van.

Insurance companies are looking to clamp down specifically on heaters and lithium DIY installations. There are already quality workmanship clauses within most policies but these are going to be tightened up to specifically deal with potentially lethal DIY installation. I am not sure whether professionals would be prepared to stake their reputation on budget heaters / lithium.

waynes world

Visit site
Same old thread on these crappy set ups, the units are ok but you still need to spend around £200 on proper fittings. unless you are ok with these truely rubbish accessories.

Fire99

Visit site
I agree.. Firstly you can't discriminate on the 'Chinese manufactured' issue because about 90% of what we buy (including premium brands) are built there.
I find myself answering the same points over and over and I'd say a fair degree of complaint is pure snobbery. You have to use a Webasto or Eberspacher (or maybe maybe a Planar if it's not been built in Russia) because they're expensive and anything cheap is obviously going to cause an inferno.

Yeah if you blindly use cr@p hoses and clips etc without any form of discernment then yeah maybe you'll have some issues. But if you have half a clue, stick on a decent exhaust and hose clips etc and I'd say it'll be no less safe than the premium ones. I've been using Chinese ones for nearly 3 years solidly now because my old Eberspacher was a pain in the backside to stay working for any length of time and the service kit was nearly as expensive as an entire 'Chinese heater kit'..

The only good thing to be said about the Eberspacher is the exhaust and through hull fitting looked pretty meaty so that was kept...

Mostly it's a lot of fuss about nothing.. But if you live on the basis of having zero common sense and you need everything spoon fed to you, then yeah you may have the odd issue or two..

Momac

Visit site
Are any of the Chinese heater components usable on one of the expensive alternatives
eg glow plug, fan, ECU?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Ok so make this thread into a useful contribution to a boating forum - include links to suitable components to turn your 70 quid heater into one suitable for a typical boat installation… after all you apparently need to be stupid to not know how to do that - but I think you’ll be doing well to find exhaust, through hull, lagging, ducting and outlets, plus decent fuel line and hose clips for less than 4x the cost of the heater
To be fair, the parts you list (apart from the exhaust and decent clips) are also not included with a Webasto, Eberspacher or Planar, unless you buy a more expensive package.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I think you’ve been here long enough to know that the forum is a broad church

But you miss the point - getting excited because something that was £90 is now £75 is somewhat odd if the other parts you need were £250 and are now £275!

I honestly don’t know how they can make and ship the unit from China to the U.K. for under £70. I know they aren’t sophisticated, and obviously they’ve almost zero r&d costs given they rip off someone else’s design. The surprising thing is they don’t offer a boat version with the bits you need (and leaving out stuff like the fuel tank you probably don’t).

The Erbspacher/Webasto Patents have long expired. A Patent has a 20 year life and needs renewing at intervals.

Once the Patent has expired, the technology is out there for anyone to use.

Registered Designs and Trademarks are different.

If these were at issue, action could be taken at point of sale by Trading Standards.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Ive just bought a second one of these ( the first one is now on its 5th or 6th winter, cant quite remember) but it has never missed a beat.

The complete package I just bought was listed at £59.99 and I had a £10 ebay voucher sent to me by ebay over xmas so in reality it cost me under £50. If this one lasts a year I still wont be disappointed.