Diesel heaters now £75

QBhoy

Visit site
I have a Chinese diesel heater so do buy into the value proposition you are sliding to BUT:

you are posting on a boat forum - so should probably not be implying that £70 gets you everything you need. It will NEED a different exhaust as an absolute minimum to be safe for use on a typical boat. Many people think the fuel hose should also be replaced, and many people here would need ducting and outlets etc - the heater will end up being the cheapest part.

I’ve never understood why people got excited about whether the heater was 50% more / less expensive but don’t seem to post similar - “best value proper exhaust” or “here’s a deal on ducting” threads.

100% agree with the most of that.
Will absolutely need a proper stainless exhaust skin fitting, of the highest quality. Will require better and/or lagging on the pipe from unit to the skin fitting too.
Better fuel pipe for certain.
I’ve also been witness to a cheap outlet piece melting too.
Will also require a L shaped stainless mounting bracket too. Will all add up, but still be a fraction of the cost, compared to the usual.
I have a model based on a Chinese unit. It’s now done over 1000 hours for sure. Haven’t yet had a problem…touch wood.
The installation, fixtures and fittings are no doubt the thing to get right..and without compromise or cut corners.
Details like pump, heater, exhaust location and routing…ducting run, angle of bends and outlets etc etc, are extremely important.
I even used a remote outboard fuel tank, for the fuel supply. Didn’t fancy the alternative options. (Boat is petrol outboard)

[165042]

Visit site
I have an old school Sealey battery charger, been used in two motorbike shops then retired to my home workshop. 24 years old. Just replaced the crocodile clips.

Cheap Chinese crap? If the welders/heaters offer service like that, bring it on!

Old Sealey is not the same as new Sealey. More and more of their products are generic cheap Chinese items rebranded alongside the likes of Hilka, Machine Mart, Draper etc.

A welder for £60 might be worth a punt to get a job done but the time taken to install a diesel heater on a boat for it to fail a few months later probably isn't.

oldgit

Visit site
Going to suggest that many of the chinese clones are purchased to replace a defunct eber or webasto which has done good service over the previous 10/20 years, however the sheer effort of getting the thing out of its lair, self diagnosing the problem , then finally sending/dropping it off at the menders and being told that the bill will certainly be approaching the hundreds ££££ might suggest its time to give up on the old unit.
It may well then have a new gubbins in there but its a new gubbins in a 20 year old unit.
Folks who in the past would normally have picked up the telephone and had the local authorised Eber dealer pop round to sort a problem become reluctant to "invest" any more money.
The experience of a "repaired heater" failing again shortly afterwards with several hundred quid already spent may be the final coupe de grace.
On one fairly new modern boat it took three visits and three goes to persuade a Eber to work and this long established Eber dealer knows his business and has a very good reputation.
No prizes for guessing whats going to happen if it fails again.

When simply a heater unit replacement, all the original exhaust and warm air ducting etc are retained with only the new heater and pump installed, you might need a reducer of some description to connect new heater outlet to warm air ducting.
Existing heater mounting brackets seem be compatable with new heaters.
Would definately recommend the fitting of a decent non asphyxiating ** silencer if you do not already have one.
It can reduce the roar and banshee wail of the exhaust to a quiet little whisper, allowing you and any surrounding boats to sleep at nights.
On our moorings and from anecdotal evidence a considerable number of these heaters are now installed in boats and in various garages/workshopa over the past decade.
Still waiting for anything for anything other than the odd heater element failing, to surface and as most know the only thing that can travel faster than light is bad news ?

** at your own risk.

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Going to suggest that many of the chinese clones are purchased to replace a defunct eber or webasto which has done good service over the previous 10/20 years, however the sheer effort of getting the thing out of its lair, self diagnosing the problem , then finally sending/dropping it off at the menders and being told that the bill will certainly be approaching the hundreds ££££ might suggest its time to give up on the old unit.
It may well then have a new gubbins in there but its a new gubbins in a 20 year old unit.
Folks who in the past would normally have picked up the telephone and had the local authorised Eber dealer pop round to sort a problem become reluctant to "invest" any more money.
The experience of a "repaired heater" failing again shortly afterwards with several hundred quid already spent may be the final coupe de grace.
On one fairly new modern boat it took three visits and three goes to persuade a Eber to work and this long established Eber dealer knows his business and has a very good reputation.
No prizes for guessing whats going to happen if it fails again.

When simply a heater unit replacement, all the original exhaust and warm air ducting etc are retained with only the new heater and pump installed, you might need a reducer of some description to connect new heater outlet to warm air ducting.
Existing heater mounting brackets seem be compatable with new heaters.
Would definately recommend the fitting of a decent non asphyxiating ** silencer if you do not already have one.
It can reduce the roar and banshee wail of the exhaust to a quiet little whisper, allowing you and any surrounding boats to sleep at nights.
On our moorings and from anecdotal evidence a considerable number of these heaters are now installed in boats and in various garages/workshopa over the past decade.
Still waiting for anything for anything other than the odd heater element failing, to surface and as most know the only thing that can travel faster than light is bad news ?

** at your own risk.
Spot on. Three visits from a man to fix the Eber would have bought you at least 5 of these complete units....... Mine arrived today by the way :)

penberth3

Visit site
I assume people on a boat Forum might have a brain and work out how to safely install and replace the few items that need replacing.

Never assume. Have you read any of reports about CO fatalities, fatalities caused by faulty installation and operation? People don't have brains, people aren't as competent as they think they are.

mrangry

Visit site
Never assume. Have you read any of reports about CO fatalities, fatalities caused by faulty installation and operation? People don't have brains, people aren't as competent as they think they are.
This could apply to fitting any brand really and not just to these heaters

Rappey

Visit site
8kw Diesel heaters on ebay at £60 with free postage.. £60 for a heater !!!!!!!! Amazing.

Shifty

Visit site
I’ve refrained from commenting on this endless thread and the previous. However I accept both sets of opinions, but having invested a fair chunk of money in my boat I’m not going to start cutting corners by bolting on cheap Chinese bits with the outside risk it could go t**ts up.

mrangry

Visit site
I’ve refrained from commenting on this endless thread and the previous. However I accept both sets of opinions, but having invested a fair chunk of money in my boat I’m not going to start cutting corners by bolting on cheap Chinese bits with the outside risk it could go t**ts up.
Its only three pages so hardly endless.

mrangry

Visit site
I think if you do a bit of research you may find it may have cropped up previously.
Yes there have been many posts repeated, generally how forums work. If you do a bit of research you will also discover that one of the more recent heater deaths were not due to a Chinese one

Shifty

Visit site
Yes there have been many posts repeated, generally how forums work. If you do a bit of research you will also discover that one of the more recent heater deaths were not due to a Chinese one
Each to their own, merely stating my view.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
That’s how you get caught. Buy one fit it in the shed and give it a huge test. It is £60 after all

ylop

Visit site
8kw Diesel heaters on ebay at £60 with free postage.. £60 for a heater !!!!!!!! Amazing.
AFAIK they don’t actually put out 8kW they are just misleadingly labelled 5kW units. Like batteries, lights etc where they just make up numbers to try and sound better than the competition - which tells you how they value their reputation.
That’s how you get caught. Buy one fit it in the shed and give it a huge test. It is £60 after all
A false sense of security about a shed installation might lead a naïve diy installer to make a “shed” style installation on a boat.

Fire99

Visit site
AFAIK they don’t actually put out 8kW they are just misleadingly labelled 5kW units. Like batteries, lights etc where they just make up numbers to try and sound better than the competition - which tells you how they value their reputation.

A false sense of security about a shed installation might lead a naïve diy installer to make a “shed” style installation on a boat.
There are basically 3 Chinese sizes. The 2KW, the 5KW (which I think kicks out around 3.8KW) and the HCalory 6-8.5KW (Which is an actual around 4.8KW) with a larger burner chamber.
Reputation? There is no reputation protection going on here. It's 'stack em high, sell em cheap'.

We are massively over-analysing here. They are what they are. A very simple product, copied from a long-standing design. They are very cheap and as most people with half a clue realise, means the boat install wants some better 'accessories'. but the internet has a deluge of info on this so it's unlikely too many regular folk won't know this. And those who don't know, probably would never buy an Eberspacher / Webasto in the first place. Cheap means more people have a go, but you can't restrict the market to 2 grand heaters to try and guarantee only 'clever' installers will fit them. Only the rich folk are allowed to heat their boats?

One other quick observation. I've seen plenty of premium boat gear that to me is cr@p quality. I think a lot of boat folk are hoodwinked into believing just because it's expensive, it's good. Too often, it's not.