Diesel Engine Course Instructor

Tam Lin

Visit site
I did one of these courses but found it a bit general. Hanging around whilst an engineer did a through service of my engine was more instructive.

Yes, I agree, I learnt about installing engines from watching mine being fitted! However, I have been asked to arrange a course so will do my best. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

Last edited:

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I did one of these courses but found it a bit general. Hanging around whilst an engineer did a through service of my engine was more instructive.

Mrs H did the course and found it enjoyable, though it is inevitably rather generic. But I agree with you, and to maximise the benefit from it I should have got her to do an annual service after she had helped me with it once or twice.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Obviously not East Coast, but I have to say that the course we attended in Scotland was excellent, covering all the bits and pieces needed to understand how to care for a diesel engine, and stand a chance of getting it going again if there was a problem at sea. Generic, yes,, but so are most small marine diesels! The guy we had did a very useful demonstration - he put a bit of cotton wool at the bottom of a glass tube, and banged a plunger into the tube, thereby setting the cotton wool on fire, demonstating compression ignition better than a description would have! I think it was Seatrek sail training that ran the course, but it was a while ago!

Hydrozoan

Visit site
Obviously not East Coast, but I have to say that the course we attended in Scotland was excellent, covering all the bits and pieces needed to understand how to care for a diesel engine, and stand a chance of getting it going again if there was a problem at sea. Generic, yes,, but so are most small marine diesels! The guy we had did a very useful demonstration - he put a bit of cotton wool at the bottom of a glass tube, and banged a plunger into the tube, thereby setting the cotton wool on fire, demonstating compression ignition better than a description would have! I think it was Seatrek sail training that ran the course, but it was a while ago!

I wasn't knocking the course at all: just pointing out that to get the most from it - and to be best prepared for that 'problem at sea' - one needs to follow it up by gaining a good understanding of where everything is on ones own particular engine. As I said, Mrs H found it enjoyable (at Bisham Abbey IIRC) - as well as useful.