Diesel Advice Please - Take 2!

Gosportsailor

Visit site
Good Afternoon again
I really appreciated the responses to my first attempt at resolving my doubts about t he fuel in my boat's tank. Most were positive and the fuel is OK to use, but Dellquay 13 suggested that it might not be if it was "cloudy". From the pic below, you will see that it is not exactly transparent, but I am not sure it is cloudy. I would appreciate the views of those more experienced in this field than me (that is just about all of you!!
Many thanks
IMG_20240306_130421.jpg

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Is it Diesel or SunnyD?

Not a fuel expert, but I wouldn’t go to sea with it in my tank.

Particle contamination? Emulsified water? I was a bit suspicious about it from your previous post, that’s why I asked if it was cloudy. I’ve not personally seen cloudy diesel like that before.

Halo

Visit site
Could it be fine wax particles? What happens if you warm some of it up to 60C does it go clear ? If so it may clear itself in summer. Like others I would think twice about using it.

Refueler

Visit site
Bring the bottle indoors .... let it warm up .... give it a shake now and again ... see if it clears.

It should be like looking through a yellow glass ... you should be able to see your hand other side ...

If it does not clear - then it is likely emulsified water ... if it does clear - then its Parafins (cloud Pt).

What to do ? Take a small amount ... put a few ml's of petrol in ... shake - let settle. Petrol will help to break up the Parafins ... see if it clears. Again if it doesn't - then its likely emulsified water.

You could treat the fuel with additive that dissipates the 'water' - parafins ... and then basically mix in fresh fuel ... say on a 1:1 basis .. old + new ..

If its Parafins - you could throw about 5 - 10% volume petrol or Kerosine in ... old farm trick to solve it.

steveeasy

Visit site
Just out of interest. large or small tank. full or half empty ?. Sail or motor boat ?. personally Id be changing filters and adding diesel using it up. If I had muck or sediment in the tank id be draining the tank and cleaning everything as sediment is what causes an engine to stop. not sure your cloudy diesel will do the same.

steveeasy .

B27

Visit site
Possibly someone has added some magic additive to a tank with a lot of water in it, now you have a lot of emulsified water?
You could try heating or cooling a sample to see if the water will separate.
It may be OK to use in an engine. Who really knows?
It might be best used in a diesel heater or something?
This is why I don't keep much in my tank over the winter.

The man thing is, the tank needs any water removed.