Did not buy this months PBO

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
For the first time in 48 years, I looked at this month offering in PBO and put it back on the shelf.

Thin, uninteresting, not worth the cover charge.

Bit like me in fact :)

lpdsn

Visit site
For the first time in 48 years, I looked at this month offering in PBO and put it back on the shelf.

Thin, uninteresting, not worth the cover charge.

Bit like me in fact :)

Professional Boatbuilder is a good next step up if you're bored. A mate gets a paper copy (or used to - they've stopped sending out paper copies in the last few months) and it's a very good read.

Articles on their website: http://proboat.com/

I stopped reading PBO & YM regularly maybe 8 or 9 years ago. It's a shame, but they have (I believe) a deliberate policy of aiming at beginners.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
+1 for Professional Boatbuilder. I still get the paper copy and I have them from the first issue (although #1 through #75) are on DVDs. Great magazine although maybe a bit over the top for people who are not directly involved with boats except as end-users.

prv

Visit site
Professional Boatbuilder is a good next step up if you're bored.

Thanks a lot for that. I've just had a browse around their site and it is more my level of interest, though US-centric.

Just downloading a recent issue as PDF, for £4 (well-known YBW fails on both counts) to see what it's like. If I like the whole magazine as well as just the articles I've looked at, I'll probably subscribe to the paper version and then cancel my PBO sub.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
I suspect these forums are the future; but let's be careful chums, THEY SHOULD BE PAYING US TO CONTRIBUTE !

OUR COLLECTIVE EXPERIENCE IS INVALUABLE.

I strongly suggest someone with the wherewithall contacts us all pronto before we're cut off...

PM me and let's establish some link, I get the feeling sooner would be better than later !

Please PM me to exchange e-mail addresses.

Andy

Last edited:

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I disagree. My subscription lapsed last month so I received no magazine, I was bereft and have now renewed and am looking forward to the next one. It would be helpful if PBO sent a reminder before expiry. Unfortunately I missed the feature on eberspachers - could anyone scan it for me?

seanfoster

Visit site
Last month Asda had a twin back of YM and PBO think it was £5.95 which I thought was good value.
Went yesterday to see if they had it again but both magazines were for sale separately, had a scan through PBO and thought it was a complete waste of money. So put it back!

Professional Boatbuilder is a good next step up if you're bored. A mate gets a paper copy (or used to - they've stopped sending out paper copies in the last few months) and it's a very good read.

Articles on their website: http://proboat.com/

I stopped reading PBO & YM regularly maybe 8 or 9 years ago. It's a shame, but they have (I believe) a deliberate policy of aiming at beginners.

I have a subscription to PBO and have been a loyal reader for many years, but lately have been finding it thinner than it used to be and with less interesting articles, to the point that some of them remain unread.

That link to Professional Boatbuilder is excellent and I will be reading some more of it. The idea of using a capacitor to power the starter-motor is intriguing.

I disagree. My subscription lapsed last month so I received no magazine, I was bereft and have now renewed and am looking forward to the next one. It would be helpful if PBO sent a reminder before expiry. Unfortunately I missed the feature on eberspachers - could anyone scan it for me?
I usually get a reminder. Check with their subscriptions dept to ensure that they have you on their mailing list.

BlueChip

Visit site
Someone on here recently recommended the app 'Readly'
You can download hundreds of magazines, including YM, PBO, Sailing Today and many others across a whole range of interests for the cost of a couple of magazines.
It's like walking into Smiths and being able to pick up any mag you want for free.
There is a two week completely free trial so you could download the last 12 months PBO & YM and catch up. Of course after 2 weeks if you don't subscribe they will disappear of your device.
Definitely worth looking at.

andyorr

Visit site
Just stopped my subs for PBO. Sticking with YM for a bit longer. Over the years everything gets recycled! Agree with comments on PBO (or the stick and string mag as m,y wife calls it!) Mind you she calls YM the doom and gloom mag as it is always running stories of disaster and mishaps at sea! Really off putting for some.

Seajet

Visit site
It must be difficult wording something as ' advice / warning ' without it sounding like a catastrophe !

I do think the mag's could be a bit more creative though, they only have to ask us lot on here for descriptions of when it all went well and why we keep at it...

seanfoster

Visit site
Someone on here recently recommended the app 'Readly'
You can download hundreds of magazines, including YM, PBO, Sailing Today and many others across a whole range of interests for the cost of a couple of magazines.
It's like walking into Smiths and being able to pick up any mag you want for free.
There is a two week completely free trial so you could download the last 12 months PBO & YM and catch up. Of course after 2 weeks if you don't subscribe they will disappear of your device.
Definitely worth looking at.

Never knew that existed, thanks for that I'll have a good look at it!