Did/Do you regret buying your boat?

Babylon

Visit site
No regrets since I bought her nearly five years ago.

Eighteen months ago I thought I had to sell her, so I had the yard haul her out and had almost completed drafting the inventory etc for the broker when I fell ill.

When I was well enough again to finally switch on my PC, I opened up the Word document.

As I read the spec, I thought to myself "I don't want to sell this boat - I want to buy her!!"

So, in a funny sense I sort of bought her twice.

Both were excellent decisions.

Blueboatman

Visit site
:) indeed, it takes so long to get a boat really set up 'just so', to learn what it can really do, be silly to then sell it, half used!

You could argue that the boat helps prevent recurring illness by lowering stress too:D:)

jimi

Visit site
Don't regret buying the boat, we've had her 11 years and are in the process of selling her to get a slightly bigger one to suit swmbo's comfort and less heeling aspirations ;-)

obmij

Visit site
I bought a shed disguised as a 1966 Hurley 22, and YES I did regret it!

Cheap and in need of 'a little TLC'

Even today, when I hear those three letters I get cold sweats and palpitations.

Visit site
Nope not a bit.

I love the Hustler's lines and sail handling as it was of the first cruiser/racers I sailed. I tried a few other more modern boats but they didn't have that solid feel of the Hustler.

I found my boat at a proper bargain price and it damned near skint me getting the cash together as it was up for sale at the worst possible time for me (aren't they always). I also knew I had to spend around 5 to 7k on her over the winter months to refurbish but that doesn't matter. I do all the work myself so I know I'll get all the benefit over the coming years as I know her inside out. If I would have bought another Hustler for the normal asking price (something I couldn't afford at the time) I'm sure I'd have to spend 5k again regardless to get it to my standards of fit out.

Yes, I'm spending any spare cash I have to get this going but it's going to be worth it for those balmy days with the family afloat.

For me repairing, improving, sailing then maintaining the boat as a family is all part of the joy of ownership.

Can't wait for the summer!

lefkasman

Visit site
regrets..

Initially no, but as the years pass circumstances change, health, both mine and my wife's has deteriorated, income is greatly diminished and running and maintenance costs of the boat have dramatically increased, but on the plus side I have many happy memories associated with her.

Seadog17

Visit site
Last October a friend of mine bought a 1940's converted fishing boat of about 46' length.
He moved the boat from Falmouth to Malden but the realisation of owning an old wooden type boat has now caught up with him. His heart is no longer in it.
The boat was on the slip waiting to have 2 hull planks replaced at a cost of about £1000 each. The previous owner would have done it himself.
He doesn't have the skills and would have to pay the boat yard to do it.
On Saturday I visited the boat for the first time. It was worse than I imagined. Everyone including myself had advised him not to buy it in the first place but sometimes you just have to learn these things for yourself.
Fortunately he may have a buyer. His loss will be fairly limited but what a shame.
Six months from dream to reality.

Another couple I know bought a very much smaller sail boat. 23' if I remember correctly.
They fell for the salesman pitch. Paid way over the odds. Fought every time they went on board and in the end they had to sell the boat on ebay for whatever they could get.
Paid £8k, sold on ebay for under £3k a year later but only by selling and putting it down to experience could they move on.

So anyone one here have similar stories?

See my advert in the "For sale" forum.

Only I had it a lot longer than a year, more like twelve.

Bought it off an old B'd in Torpoint, house full of pictures of himself in Masons costume and a "recent" survey report. Knew nothing about wood boats and thought there was no way a "gentleman" would con me.

Used it for a few months then took i out of the water for winter to get it cleaned up. That's when I found it was in two pieces, top and bottom. Virtually every rib was broken and very cleverly concealed from the amatuer.

She's been out of the water ever since.

Working at sea and a load of other things meant progress was slow. I'm pushing seventy now, still working and have now admitted defeat and bought a yacht, to get some fun in before it's too late.

My wife, has been marvellous throughout. We're not rich and a lot of money has gone on "the dream". But she still doesn't want me to cut her up but to give someone else a chance at saving her.