Devon and Cornwall - any "on-site" reporters ??

CPD

Visit site
Several years ago we had a brilliant 3/4 week holiday in August pottering along the coast from Falmouth to Teignmouth, calling in where we fancied, dropping in to various pubs and eateries along the way without a reservation in sight (including for marinas). It was very much all done on spec, and it was absolutely superb.

We have been planning for some time on doing something similar this year however appreciate the "come-what-may" approach will be severely affected by Covid-19. The question is, how badly will it be affected ?. Would anyone down there at the moment care to comment on marina space availability (pubs and restaurants we accept are not available on the same basis).

We are Solent based. Would we be better off staying in the Solent and environs rather than heading south-west ?.

Many thanks for any comments.

Pete7

Visit site
Article in today's Dailymail about Salcombe doesn't look encouraging. We are also heading West from the Solent next week. Looks like the anchor is going to used quite a bit.

bdh198

Visit site
We’re heading down that way later in August. We’ve tried to book some marina nights on some key dates we’re picking people up / dropping them off. Speaking to some of the marinas they are not at all confident there’ll be anything if we just ‘turn up’ without a booking. We’re planning on, and provisioning for, many nights at anchor.

cherod

Visit site
you might like to check out a youtube ch called " adventure now " , they have just completed a trip along your south coast totally ad hoc and had a great time , not much marinas or pubs / restaurants but that is not really their thing ,, currently up W coast of scotland .

Goldie

Visit site
It’s busy! Probably busier than I can recall so unless you have a booking, I wouldn’t bank on getting a marina berth and there’s a lot of pressure on moorings.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I’d be surprised if you weren’t able to find a marina berth in Plymouth. If you can’t, there’s quite a few good anchorages.
Buoys in Fowey last week were busy, rafting suggested if buoyed boat were in agreement.
In Falmouth, marinas were busy, pot luck, but my son got a last minute berth in Pendennis marina. And pontoon space was available just before and beyond King Harry ferry. Lovely quiet spot. And plenty of places to anchor.
Yealm is always busy, the earlier you get there, the more chance of picking up a buoy.. And you can anchor just outside in Cellar bay.
Salcombe will be busy, I’d personally avoid the town, but the buoys and pontoon in the bag are lovely. And you can anchor, our favourite is by the Salt stone. And then a dinghy to one of the pubs, Frogmore and South Pool creeks, tide permitting.
Dartmouth will always find you somewhere for the night, either on a buoy or pontoon, mostly island but a few walk ashore. And there are more buoys up at Dittisham, and a very peaceful Anchorage just around the corner, and more further up the river, even quieter.
So lots of choices, especially if you’re happy to anchor. Have fun.

Seven Spades

Visit site
MDL are not taking any bookings. They say that residents are not going to the CI's or France so they don't have empty berths. e too were trying to arrange a crew change in Tofquay for mid-August but we can't we will have to change in Plymouth instead.

Pete7

Visit site
So looks like:

Studland
Weymouth beach
Brixham Cove
Dartmouth, in the narrow bit
Cawsand
Helford

Better take one of those Edam cheeses and eek out the rations, oh and Lyme Regis webcam looks a little bouncy on the plastic jetties tonight. Glad I am not one the yachts there at the moment.

fisherman

Visit site
Helford is busy, didn't notice many empty visitor buoys, there are safe anchorages up as far as Tremayne quay, but quite a few boats there as well. However, after the first night on anchor some of the buoys will empty as folk leave.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Helford is busy, didn't notice many empty visitor buoys, there are safe anchorages up as far as Tremayne quay, but quite a few boats there as well. However, after the first night on anchor some of the buoys will empty as folk leave.
E510D803-DD75-4B7F-987C-5694218CA290.jpeg
Was joined by this beauty in the Helford last week. Sea Biscuit, 17’ draft.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
From what I've seen the honeypots are full! Cawsands last Friday (31/07/2020) was like Hyde Park Corner in rush hour, but if you are confident with sitting on the hook there lots of places to explore, if you get passed the dragons at Portland and Start Point, Lyme Regis was very quiet last Wednesday (29/07/2020) when we had a potter along to West Bay for a very nice beer in the George.

Rafiki

Visit site
I came back a week ago from 3 weeks in N France. Belgian border to Fecamp. Busy with Dutch boays but virtually zero Brits. Didn't book ahead and no need to do so. Ramsgate on the way back was only half full. So if you haven't done this stretch before, whynot give it a try. Marinas are probably a bit cheaper than here, and decent eating out certainly is ( or at least was before the Eat out to Help Out initiative). Nowhere safe to anchor on that part of the French coast though.

bdh198

Visit site
I can only see the French travel restrictions imposed today making the situation in the West Country even worse. It will no doubt be particular bad if there’s a forecast for an improvement in the weather to coincide with the August bank holiday.

Are many of the marinas in that area restricting rafting or visitor numbers generally?

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Just about to complete a triangle, Scilly to Roscoff to Plymouth, Helford and Scilly. Plymouth was reasonably quiet from what I could see, plenty of room to anchor in Cawsand, QAB had a waiting list, mayflower had plenty of spaces. Weather was good for anchoring off mevagissey and was clear yesterday, in Helford now anchored with plenty of room, coves on the way in had a few in but not crowded, some empty visitors buoys available. Back to Scilly tomorrow so I’ll see how it is when I get there. Of course the weekends might show a very different picture not everyone can sail all week

atol

Visit site
Durgan in the helford ,Turnaware point on the fal and Falmouth outer anchorages were all packed on the weekend,being able to take the bottom or anchor in less than 3 ft an advantage!

standard of driving on the roads abysmal with chelsea tractors unable to navigate cornish lanes as their drivers seem to be adverse to pulling over into the vegetation to let oncoming traffic pass,and unable to reverse due to the 4 mountain bikes and kitchen sink strapped to the back window.....

fisherman

Visit site
Amen to that! I nearly reached the bridge at Helford towing a boat when I met a lady. She pointed to the entry just in front of her, I pointed to the trailer, then at her then at the entry, she shrugged and held her hands out. I reversed the 60 yards or so, she passed without a smile.
A local farmer here once had one such, he leaned out and asked the chap how long was he down for?
"Another week"
"Well i've got all year" as he stopped his engine and got out the newspaper.

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
We returned from a 4-week trip down to the Plymouth area and back last weekend (we shelved France plans I asked about in another thread - maybe next year..). It's fair to say it seemed a bit busier on the return leg, but I really wouldn't worry unless you want to go to private marinas. We didn't go to Weymouth as no rafting means limited space, just did straight to the Dart from Studland. Studland was okay (obviously very busy at weekends as always); Brixham/Torquay marinas reportedly very full so would avoid; Dartmouth was fine (we went on a non-walk ashore pontoon, and also did a trip up-river) - busy on the return but probably no more than usual; Salcombe was busy particularly ashore but we anchored off the beach with no issues and could have rafted on a buoy; Yealm was fine (in fact fairly quiet); Cawsand was fine (again avoid weekends); all felt as 'normal' as possible if you ignore a few masks around, and plenty of holiday atmosphere.

oldharry

Visit site
With France on the quarantine list there will be even more people staying this side of the water I guess. Beginning to be glad I didnt bother to launch as Lockdown caught me half way through a refit for this season! I gather from those venturing out (from Chi) the Solent is pretty manic!