Depth Sounder problems

dah

Visit site
I have an (very) old Seafarer 3 series (which I am quite fond of) on my Centaur. Recently have been having problems with red depth indicator. When initially switched on all seems ok and then after several minutes or so the red indicator on the rotating arm fades and finally disappears, even with the gain up full. If I then switch the Sounder of, leave a while, and then switch back on the same happens. Do I have a problem with the Sounder or, as I suspect with the Transducer? Comments/help most appreciated.

Or do I bite the bullet and replace the lot?

iangrant

Visit site
I had that same with one of those some years ago- gave in and bought the nasa with digital readout, good value - never looked back - Seem to remember it worked on the old transducer.

Ian

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Seek help

So you're very fond of an old seafarer, eh!

But he no longer responds to your attentions like he used to when he was younger.

Frankly, I'd kick him out and replace him with something rather racier, that keeps on plumbing your depths for days at a time.

Cornishman

Visit site
My guess is that either the LED at the end of the rotating arm or part of its associated circuitry has reached retirement age and is gently telling you that it needs replacing. Which bit can only be found by a service engineer with the right instruments, and his time plus replacement item might turn out to be more expensive than a new depth finder.
Lead lines are cheapest, but then you have to learn what all those bits of leather with a hole in, strips of cotton, calico and so on actually mean!

jamesjermain

Visit site
All is not lost...

It may be time to join the modern world, or you could contact John Bainbridge who lives in Poole and services and repairs old Seafarer instruments. His tel No. is 0202 693074.

JJ