Deleting attachments,

Strolls

Visit site
There's no confusion about your images, Nigel.

When I right click on them and choose "open in new window", I get an html Photobucket webpage, rather than the image itself.

You told me that that doesn't happen "if you use it properly".

I'm not a liar, Nigel, and I take care to be accurate with the things I say.

No matter that you never post images larger than 800 pixels wide, many other people do.

If I want to look closer at an image someone has posted here, I right-click on it and choose "open in a new tab" - if it's 3000px wide (example http://i.imgur.com/Ck9O29N.png), I can now see it in all its glory; if it's not I can unpinch with my fingers on the trackpad and enlarge it. In whichever case, it's displayed in the browser window as a plain image, leaving scaling to the browser.

The pages that Photobucket hijack us to are covered in buttons and ads for framed prints, wasting screenspace. Not only that, but they contain multiple advertising trackers. Maybe it's just me, but often the + enlargement button doesn't work, just showing instead a rotating loading icon.

You don't need the app to upload to imgur, or an account - you just go to http://imgur.com, drag the picture from your computer onto the webpage, and click "start upload".

Likewise, I don't care about password protected galleries, because it would be counterproductive to password protect a photo of a mechanical problem that I want to show to you lot. I won't be posting photos of a relative's wedding here, either.

I don't particularly care what photo host you use, obviously you can use whatever you like, and I can't make you listen to my suggestions. But Photobucket does have this clear negative - that may make me less able or inclined to offer assistance when it's used.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Are you assuming that all browsers resize images? We still get complaints from people whose browser grows scrolling bars when an image too wide is posted.

Lakesailor

Visit site
If I do that, I don't get the full-sized image - Photobucket highjacks me off to an HTML webpage.

Perhaps it doesn't hijack you off, because you have an account, but it certainly doesn't show me just the image and nothing else.

Strange. I don't have a Photbucket account. If I right click on either of Vic's posted images and choose open in a new tab I get just the image. Yes it has a photbucket URL, but just for that image.

VicS

Visit site
Likewise, I don't care about password protected galleries, because it would be counterproductive to password protect a photo of a mechanical problem that I want to show to you lot. I won't be posting photos of a relative's wedding here, either.

I don't particularly care what photo host you use, obviously you can use whatever you like, and I can't make you listen to my suggestions. But Photobucket does have this clear negative - that may make me less able or inclined to offer assistance when it's used.

Merely illustrations of some of p'buckets versatility as a general photohosting site.

The passwaod facility means that I can give selected individauals access to an entire album of pictures, and I have doen it for information to be shared with specific foru members, without the graet unwashed having access.

If ipost pictures of a mechnical problem then It does not actaully matter if its apicture in password protected album or one of the many private albums I have in my account. Every one will be able to viw it without gaining access to any othetpictures in password protected or private albums.

Blast my spell checker has gone on strike! At leat it identifies the mis-spellings but wont correct them!

Give up its tea time!

Last edited:

Strolls

Visit site
Strange. I don't have a Photbucket account. If I right click on either of Vic's posted images and choose open in a new tab I get just the image. Yes it has a photbucket URL, but just for that image.
How bizarre that it's only me.

I tried changing my User Agent string to Internet Explorer, but it still does it.

Thinking that's not certain enough, I also tried opening with Firefox, passing the URL at the command line.

If I right-click on Vic's image and choose "copy URL" I get http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Vic43/Forums 2015/DSCF0723.jpg~original

Any way I try to open the image I get redirected to http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Vic43/media/Forums 2015/DSCF0723.jpg.html

VicS

Visit site
I have to admit, I am embarrassed to read that you and Vic are having no problems.

Lakie and I have been using these forums for a long time

The size of the picture you can extract from photo bucket depends on how long ago it was uploaded. and the size that was uploaded. Not sure of the details The help pages are I am sure not up to date.

Full size images are not recoverable from old up loads. They are from recent uploads at 1024 x 768. Maybe from very recent other sizes

Strolls

Visit site
But surely when you ask the browser to open an image in a new tab, it does just that?
Yes, Nigel. For images hosted at any other site but Photobucket, it does.

I'm not sure whether this is the 3rd or 4th time of telling you but, for me, Photobucket does not.

zasJZY9.gif

There hardly seems any point in continuing to discuss it, since I appear to be either alone or in the minority experiencing this.

I'm pretty sure it's not something on my computer or anything that I've done that's causing this, and that it's a Photobucket redirect.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm on a Mac, and you guys aren't.
However, I can't evidence that using curl and the referrer or user-agent I would expect.

I'm surprised to find few people on the net experiencing the same problem - I can find a couple of forum threads in which a poster seems to be saying the same as I, but they're as confused as this one.

I had assumed everyone else was experiencing the same thing - having found that's not the case I'm sorry to have wasted the forum's time.