Deck glands

Mhvoiceuk

Visit site
I've just had a new trilight, anchor light, steaming light and VHF aerial fitted to my mast. The old deck plugs need to be replaced. But with what? I was told today that I should only expect deck plugs to last 2 or 3 years, even with the application of silicon grease. Deck glands will keep the water out more permanently but this means cutting the cable when the mast comes down which is a pain in the neck, especially as my headlining is fibreglass with a very small inspection panel under the mast. What's best? As usual with boats there seems to be more than one way of going about things. Are there any makes/types of deck plug which have a long life? I would like the simplicity of unplugging to take the mast down.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cliff

Visit site
Go for "Dri-plug" nothing more - nothing less

<hr width=100% size=1>
hammer.thumb.gif
Stay put when I hit you!

jerryat

Visit site
Hi!

Totally agree with Cliff. The driplugs on my boat have been in operation for 20 years and are as near perfect as possible still. The mast come out of the boat for undercover storage each winter and after plugging in in the Spring, are taped up with self-amalgamating tape.

They make plugs for VHF, tri-whites etc, so you will find one from the range for all your needs.

Hope this helps.

Good sailing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mhvoiceuk

Visit site
Thanks chaps. I've taken your advice on Dri Plug and just ordered a BD800 4 way combi connector - 3 connectors and a vhf connectors in one unit - from the Dri Plug website (www.driplug.com). From Driplug it was £58.00. From Marinestore Chandlers it's £103.00!! So well worth it to buy direct.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pampas

Visit site
Marine practice where cables have to be removed on a regular basis is to use a goose neck and sealed with compound.
On my last boat I fitted this system and saved time and never did I get water below decks, I used ordinary putty and found it to satify my requirements. Just another thought.
Same horse, different jockey.

<hr width=100% size=1>