Death on Clipper Race

Viking

Visit site
Very sad! First report say he was hit by the Main sheet and boom. Similar thing happen to me only is week. After completing in our local Tuesday evening regatta. Runner under a reefed main, back to the marina I was preparing to do a 'controlled gibe' (winds 16-19kts, boat speed 8.4kts) facing the main sheet winch (aboard a Arcona 400) the skipper who should have known better, caused a crash gibe taking two crew plus the main sheet into me. I hit the winch, head first! I now have a two large cuts healing on my sore forehead. I was lucky! Feel very sorry for his family, friends and crew!
N.B. I was a last minute crew, on the boat for the first time, as my own skipper/boat could not make the regatta!

tcm

Visit site
Very sad! First report say he was hit by the Main sheet and boom. Similar thing happen to me only is week. After completing in our local Tuesday evening regatta. Runner under a reefed main, back to the marina I was preparing to do a 'controlled gibe' (winds 16-19kts, boat speed 8.4kts) facing the main sheet winch (aboard a Arcona 400) the skipper who should have known better, caused a crash gibe taking two crew plus the main sheet into me. I hit the winch, head first! I now have a two large cuts healing on my sore forehead. I was lucky! Feel very sorry for his family, friends and crew!
N.B. I was a last minute crew, on the boat for the first time, as my own skipper/boat could not make the regatta!

Not QUITE the same in that this was offshore, whilst racing, in a much bigger boat, and (biggest difference) you've got some cuts and he's dead. So it's not very appropriate that you rabbit on about "me, me, me" in such a thread, is it? No.

Last edited:

Tintin

Visit site
Very sad news indeed. Andrew was experienced and a really nice guy. We met several times during the training this summer, and when I last saw him in London a week ago at the race start he was looking forward to it.

Condolences to his family.

VicS

Visit site

Very sad news. Condolences to his family

Not QUITE the same in that this was offshore, whilst racing, in a much bigger boat, and (biggest difference) you've got some cuts and he's dead. So it's not very appropriate that you rabbit on about "me, me, me" in such a thread, is it? No.

Bit OTT aren't we. Viking was not claiming that the SAME thing had happened to him. SIMILAR he said, with, fortunately for him, a very different outcome.

No indication of any sympathy for Mr Ashman or his family from you I notice! ... Just posting to criticise someone else.

Last edited:

Topcat47

Visit site
I'm with Vic on this.

I got hooked by the LSP too, but don't remember him. A great shame for him and his family and an enviable safety record for the clippers gone in a flash, too.

tcm

Visit site

Bit OTT aren't we. Viking was not claiming that the SAME thing had happened to him. SIMILAR he said, with, fortunately for him, a very different outcome.

No indication of any sadness for Mr Ashman or his family from you I notice! ... Just posting to criticise someone else.

The sadness and condolences to the family are surely in the heart of anyone who even reads the thread, let alone contributes. Apologies for my e-muttering at a time like this.

Viking

Visit site

Not knowing the full details I was just aware of what happened to me and it sent a shiver down my spine and how fine a line is between life and death. And how careful one should be out there. He was only 49 I'm 68!

explores

Visit site

No indication of any sadness for Mr Ashman or his family from you I notice! ... Just posting to criticise someone else.

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
I knew someone who was hit by the mainsheet in a gybe. Knocked her sideways and hit the side of her head onto a winch. Airlift of the boat and five hours neuro surgury at Haslar.

She turned into a vegetable. Unable to talk or hold a conversation. Her husband could not face living with the consequences.

Sad day all round.

Tintin

Visit site
Was it an accidental gybe? Was it a planned and executed gybe?

They were reefing.

The set up is a line from the leech thru the boom for each reef and handy billies to clip into the cringle.

Invariably the reefing is done while on course i.e. not turning up into wind.

The vang is released. The topping lift is used to raise the boom with the mainsheet played to keep boom tension.

The halyard is eased enough for the the handy billy to be clipped on, main halyard is tensioned then reefing line tensioned, then topping lift lowered in conjunction with main sheet to maintain boom tension. Vang is then tensioned again.