Day Skippers ?

Neil

Visit site
How many of you have taken the RYA Day skipper course ? Can any one confirm that it's as relevent for the owner of a 14ft day fishing boat as it might be for the skipper of a 20ft yacht ?

Just interested in knowing what to expect.

Thanks in Advance.

Neil

stewart

Visit site
I did one about 10 days ago and thought it both really enjoyable (ok, so it was that really hot weekend we call summer!) and very useful. I can't say how much use it would be on a 14' boat, but certainly it would help if you planned to go larger or if you play in busy waters like the Solent. Highly recommended.

EME

www.lumishore.com
Despite my nom-de-plume I did my Day Skipper some six years ago. IF you do it with a professional tutor you will find the whole experience totally invaluable. I can not comment it highly enough and who said skippering a 12 footer was any more difficult than a 'Gin Palace' , in my experience there is more skill involved in passage-making in small craft.....and therefore more fun. Enjoy. It will be worth every penny.
With a good instructor you can expect a lot of tips and hard work, not really a holiday on the water!!!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I did the course at night school in Crawshawbouth about fifty miles from the sea and bear in mind that I'd been sailing about for ten years before.

Cant tell you whether it was me, th-wife or the bloke doing the course but we hated it so bad that in the end I held him by the scruff of the neck and said look just pass us or fail us
but I dont want any more crap. He passed me and th-wife.
Mind you her answer to one question was. "sail in the blue bits and then you'll be ok." Which was'nt the answer he was looking for. But she was sort of right anyway!!

Haydn

G

We have a birchwood 33 and did the day skipper in 99, it was good fun and very informative i would think that the skipper of any size of craft would benifit and i agree that the smaller the craft the more skill is required
Good luck and go for it Ken