Daft Lat/Long question

dancrane

Visit site
I'm confident there's an embarrassingly obvious answer to this question.

I was looking on Google Earth, for the exact point where the 'Hayling Surf Cam' is situated. On the Surf Cam site, the spot is described as Lat: 50.7836 Lon: 0.9856

Trouble is, Google Earth appears to think in terms of degrees, minutes and seconds, which I can cope with; but I can't work out where the Surf Cam Lat and Long is, in minutes and seconds!

Is there a simple solution?

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

I was looking on Google Earth, for the exact point where the 'Hayling Surf Cam' is situated. On the Surf Cam site, the spot is described as Lat: 50.7836 Lon: 0.9856

Trouble is, Google Earth appears to think in terms of degrees, minutes and seconds, which I can cope with; but I can't work out where the Surf Cam Lat and Long is, in minutes and seconds!

don't know if it's this you are looking for:

50.7836° is 50° + 0.7836°

0.7836° x 60 = 47.02 minutes

47.02= 47+.02

.02 * 60 = 1.2 seconds

50.7836° = 50° 47' 1.2"

though quite often coordinates are in degrees, minutes and fractions of minutes (not seconds), in which case it would be 50° 47.02'

is this what you were looking for ?

johnalison

Visit site
Most of the experts are usually drunk by this time in the evening. As far as I can see, the Lat is 50 degrees and 60x0.7836 minutes, whatever that is, and the Long similarly.

pvb

Visit site

Yes. Just post the coordinates into the search box ("Fly To") as 50.7836, 0.9856, and click, and it'll take you right to the spot.

However, you'll find that the Hayling Surf Cam isn't too sure of its position, as those coordinates place it somewhere in the main shipping lanes!

Reverend Ludd

Visit site

There are lots of methods of writing lat & long.

Have a look in wiki & get your calculator out - wiki

pvb

Visit site
Could that be a classic 'mismatched datums' issue, or was one of the expert Web Cam sitiing experts drunk at that time of night.... ;)

Nope, it was dancrane's misreading of the coordinates. The longitude is -0.9856, ie it's W not E. Putting the correct coordinates in to the Google Earth search box works fine.