Cutting GRP Sheet - Best Blade

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I would use a metal cutting blade if you have one. But there are special blades you can get for cutting fiberglass.

Perma-Grit Jig Saw Blades in stock | Fibre Glast
Best Solution to Cut Finished Composites . Perma-Grit ® Jigsaw Blades are perfect for making large cuts or for cutting along flat sheets of laminate composites, like fiberglass and carbon fiber.

Jig Saw Blades - Saw Blades - Grainger Industrial Supply
When it comes to Jig Saw Blades, Grainger's got your back. ... Masonry jig saw blades are available with carbide or diamond teeth for cutting fiberglass, ...

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Use one of the proprietary blades, masking tape on the cut line top and bottom and your JigSaw should have a little plastic blade guide that fits in the fork around the blade, use it.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've used both a standard metal cutting blade and the grit type. For a small cut then the metal type are ok but for prolonged cutting the grit type are best. I've got a Makita grit blade which is excellent, which I got because my local building merchant sold it.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
If the cuts are straight, I wouldn't use a jigsaw at all: angle-grinder with a 1mm disc.

Ditto except that I use a stainless disk with embedded hard particles (diamonds? carbide?). These are sparsely distributed around the outer 8mm or so of the disk and are not like the grit encrustations that are sometimes seen.

lw395

Visit site
if the GRP is fairly 'lean' rather than awash with resin, I've found saw cuts to tear the material.
Personally, I would use a thin disc in angle grinder to get rid of most of the waste, then trim to size with a belt sander or, for internal curves, a drum sander in a B&D drill.
GRP is variable stuff, If what you're trying isn't working well, try something else.