Customs - Knives

Wino

Visit site
Last week we crossed from Plymouth to Roscoff.
Leaving Plymouth, we were asked by Customs, if we were carrying any knives with blades over 4" (Note inches not cms.) plus bombs etc.
As I was only carrying a small penknife she said that was OK. So I asked her how I stood as a sailor (?) who usually carried a much larger knife?
I was told under no circumstances was I allowed to have such a knife at any time.
Back in France I noticed in the car's door pocket the carving knife we use if we buy bread etc. for a picnic type meal while travelling.
Then while unloading noticed the even larger kitchen knife we were bringing back from UK.

Does any one know the legality of her question, particularly as we were leaving UK not entering?
I doubt if there are many boats that do not have many knives, well over 4" how would they be affected if the same applies?

AndrewB

Visit site
I'm bringing back a lot of kit at present, including fishing and diving knives, so checked this.

Its only certain knives that are prohibited by Customs. Banned are: "Offensive weapons such as flick and gravity knives, butterfly knives, push daggers, belt-buckle knives, death stars, swordsticks, stealth (non-metallic) knives, knives disguised as everyday objects, knuckledusters, blowpipes, truncheons and some martial arts equipment".

Not allowed without a permit are "curved knives longer than 50 cms" - e.g. samurai swords.

I guess the question to you was an opener to check whether any knife you had fell in the above categories. Or it may have been a travel restriction applying to the ferry, as with any kind of knife in carry-on luggage on a plane.

Last edited:

duncanmack

Visit site
Last week we crossed from Plymouth to Roscoff.
Leaving Plymouth, we were asked by Customs, if we were carrying any knives with blades over 4" (Note inches not cms.) plus bombs etc.
As I was only carrying a small penknife she said that was OK. So I asked her how I stood as a sailor (?) who usually carried a much larger knife?
I was told under no circumstances was I allowed to have such a knife at any time.
Back in France I noticed in the car's door pocket the carving knife we use if we buy bread etc. for a picnic type meal while travelling.
Then while unloading noticed the even larger kitchen knife we were bringing back from UK.

Does any one know the legality of her question, particularly as we were leaving UK not entering?
I doubt if there are many boats that do not have many knives, well over 4" how would they be affected if the same applies?

Can I refer you to this thread.
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191225

The advice given to me by the "special branch" cop was to declare them to the ferry co prior to arrival and they'll treat them like shotguns.

ps I think it was Port Security who were talking to you, not the Customs. :)

Last edited:

Robin

Visit site
When we left the UK I passed on my flick knife bought in France, that did duty on my various boats for 30 years or more, to another yottie friend. I now have a 'spring assisted 'knife, bought legally here in the USA, where you start the blade with a one handed (the reason I want it) or more correctly a one thumbed push and the spring finishes it and locks it ready to use, a sharp blade with serrated saw section, all under 4" long that is easily carried in a pocket and ready for use. How much better than leaving a sharp 'ordinary' knife around somewhere handy, for the gkids to cut themselves on.

People kill, not knives or guns.

Last edited:

bazobeleza

faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year
Visit site
I travelled via Calais to Portugal and was hauled in by Customs?? anyway they asked if I'd got any knives>

yes I said a whole load of chefs knifes for the boat,under all that stuff in the back of he Landrover.

Oh, Ok then.

The conversation then turned to my two dogs who were travelling with me and the kids, and his dogs and what they got up to, and nothing more was said on the knives front.

IMHO Its just something they're programmed to do, and if you're not wearing pyjamas or looking iffy, they don't really care.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Been on the Plymouth to Roscoff run with two Leathermans in the hand luggage since we were foot passengers. They were flagged on the x-ray machine but a simple explanation as to why we were carrying them satisfied them and we weren't bothered any more.

bendyone

Visit site
I travelled via Calais to Portugal and was hauled in by Customs?? anyway they asked if I'd got any knives>

yes I said a whole load of chefs knifes for the boat,under all that stuff in the back of he Landrover.

Oh, Ok then.

The conversation then turned to my two dogs who were travelling with me and the kids, and his dogs and what they got up to, and nothing more was said on the knives front.

IMHO Its just something they're programmed to do, and if you're not wearing pyjamas or looking iffy, they don't really care.

Probably Port Security at Calais. I have been stopped a number of times carrying tools and bits and pieces for the boat. Never a problem but bit of a joke when they make the driver walk thought a scanner but leave the others in the car. Quite interested in the boat toilet once :confused:

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
returning from Italy recently my wife had a 3" cheese knife confiscated without question by airport security.

But that's air security .... even a bottle of mineral water is apparently a threat to an airplane!

Liquids have been banned from hand luggage for many years now, after the threat of two-part liquid explosives was identified. You should be reminded of this long standing regulation when you check in.

Likewise the checkin staff should have asked if you have any sharp objects in your carry-on luggage, this would include a cheese knife regardless of its standing as a gift.

There is an up to date list here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/AirTravel/DG_176922

I cannot comment on Ferry customs/security sorry.

Borden

Visit site
Don't put the iffy things in your hand luggage

The cheese knife with the Murano glass handle would have avoided confiscation had it had been in the hold luggage.
I've transported all sorts of stuff in and out of the UK in my hold luggage that would have seen me thrown in the cooler if the items had been in my hand luggage.
I did once overlook a tube of Loctite that was in my hand luggage and it was confiscated. There's no knowing how much carnage I could have done with that!

colind3782

Visit site
I nearly had a Flojet shower pump confiscated at Liverpool airport when I was taking it out to Spain to fit to the boat (Ryanair so hand luggage only). I knew that a dodgy looking lump of metal with wires coming out of it would raise an eyebrow at the scanner so I took it out with my laptop beforehand but they still had to get the supervisors involved. They did confiscate my small screwdriver set and a box of screws though after stripping the contents of my bag to components. :(

blueglass

Visit site
The cheese knife with the Murano glass handle would have avoided confiscation had it had been in the hold luggage.

Yes that's right but had carry on luggage only. I knew it was at risk as it was technically a knife, albeit purely decorative and with a blunt curved end. more of a cheese fork reallly.
My own fault I know, but a tad galling as it cost several beer tokens.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Liquids have been banned from hand luggage for many years now, after the threat of two-part liquid explosives was identified. You should be reminded of this long standing regulation when you check in.

As a regular flyer, I'm certainly aware of the ban. I'm also aware that the whole "liquid explosives" scenario is sci-fi claptrap. Scientists, under controlled conditions, with pure ingredients, without time pressure and after dozens of attempts, managed to reproduce the effect the terrorists were hoping to achieve in a cramped airplane.

Unfortunately, it's all politics! :rolleyes:

Richard

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
As a regular flyer, I'm certainly aware of the ban.

You may well think it is claptrap, but you can't opt out of it (and still fly).

If it any consolation they have reviewed the ban on liquids several times and are doing so again, it seems likely that it will be lifted or removed all together.

As for whether it is political, it matters not, those are the conditions set and agreed internationally. They could be decided by juggling alphabet spaghetti, but we would still have to submit to the regulations.

[29051]

Visit site
They can't actually detect liquids though so are mainly relying on people keeping the rules. In April a friend of ours took a 2 litre pot half filled with yoghurt and stewed rhubarb through the scanner. He simply wasnt thinking. It was in the fridge when he left home, and not liking waste he took it to eat at the airport. It was on top of his hand baggage in a tesco carrier bag. I found him eating it in the departure lounge.

They had stopped me because I had some tiny glass jars with dried spices. They said I had caused a delay by not putting them in my liquids bag. Although they did agree they weren't liquids and were no problem.

Maybe they missed the yoghurt because they were to busy unpacking my bag.

I did have a 100ml bottle of chilli oil in my liquids, which was no problem at all even though it was checked. But they confiscated a tube of glue as 'You might try to stick the passengers to their seats'. I did protest that it would take a while to get them to stand up, row by row. And one tube wouldn't go far, but they binned it anyway.

I should have labelled it 'toothpaste' as they accepted all my other hand labelled bottles.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
They can't actually detect liquids though so are mainly relying on people keeping the rules.

Not true, I'm afraid. A colleague was once stopped and asked to unpack his bag, although he was certain that there was no liquid in it. First unpacking, nothing found - but the scanner still sent it back. After a lot of searching, it turned out that a bottle of water from a previous trip had slipped into the lining!

I have had my bag searched 2 or three times when it was simply packed tightly - apparently that stops the X-Ray kit from seeing properly.

binch

gradually diminishing with age. Now Europe
Visit site
Seamen's knives

As a midshipman I was not allowed convalescent leave so was sent to assist the master riggers re-rigging HMS Victory. This was "light duty" Ho ho.
The Master Rigger said that it was statute law dating from Elizabeth I, that all qualified riggers were to carry a rigging knife at all times. It has never been repealed.
Of course, all rigging knives have rounded 'points'.
In old sailing ships, all hands were lined up to show their knives. A good bucko mate would walk the line with the Bosun. Any knife with a point was stuck in the deck and the point broken off.
My Grandad's story.

[29051]

Visit site
Not true, I'm afraid. A colleague was once stopped and asked to unpack his bag, although he was certain that there was no liquid in it. First unpacking, nothing found - but the scanner still sent it back. After a lot of searching, it turned out that a bottle of water from a previous trip had slipped into the lining!

Until the new generation of scanners are in use the scanners are just X-ray machines. The software processes the densities and shapes and looks for likely matches. A dense bottle shaped image will therefore show up clearly. But so did my thick glass jar with just powder in it, whilst my friend's whole litre of yoghurt went unnoticed.

But they don't actually detect liquids directly. Hopefully the new explosive liquid scanners will soon allow non hazardous liquids to be packed.