Custom Solar Arch - What would you add?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I am in the process of specifying a custom solar arch for my Bav 44 Vision - it's around 3,65-3,85m wide where the arch will be bolted on and it will be integrated into the pushpit.

Question is ... what kind of usefull stuff could be added to an arch .... my list is currently

• approx 1kW of solar panels
  • dinghy davits for a 2,7m rib (120kg with engine attached)
  • outboard engine hoist (45kg)
  • outboard bracket
  • LED stern light
  • LED floodlight for swim platform and cockpit
  • flag pole holder
  • GPS antenna
  • hooks, port and starboard to hold coiled mooring rope ends when in marina/harbour
  • all-round RGB LED bright light with possibility to make white as an anchor light or coloured so I can find the boat coming back in the dark
  • 5G antennas/WiFi antennas
  • attachment for StarLink
  • boat hook holder
  • holder for MOB equipment
Anyone got anything else useful on their arch?

rogerthebodger

Visit site

This is the pic of the solar arch I designed for my boat.

It includes

Mounting for life rings

mounting for dan buoys

mounting for TV arial

mounting for Radar

mounting for wind generator since removed.

mounting for ladder on the stern to gaining access.

Connection for cockpit cover.

VHF aerials for radio and AIS.

Spotlights to light up cockpit.

Mounting for trucking under arch doe access to wiring.

Mounting for electronic compas for autopilot.

Davits for lifting boat and or outboard engine as backup.

Stabilizing attachment to Pushpit.

outboard bracket on Pushpit and engine hoist on port side.

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
All important horizontal hooks or rings to suspend the surfboard and fruit nets. :)
Sometimes I have also seen an upside down garden sprayer to clean legs and feet from sand/mud before jumping onboard, oh fishing rod holders.
On mine I have attached a small wind indicator in a specific position so I can check the wind direction/force (from the amount of flutter) from inside and in particular from my berth through its portlight, useful when just woken up.

B27

Visit site
Even in the rainy old UK, the main extra thing I've wanted from my solar bracket thing is shelter from the sun.
So I'd be looking at some sort of versatile integration with a bimini.

Or at last a movable bracket for a pub umbrella!

The other thing is (and I think you've got this covered), if you put a metal post up, people expect to be able to use it as a handhold, even to lever themselves aboard out of a dinghy.
So it's got to be either strong, or cheap to straighten!

lustyd

Visit site
Have a watch of this for the ultimate solar arch and hard top. Warning this may trigger some forumites!

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Even in the rainy old UK, the main extra thing I've wanted from my solar bracket thing is shelter from the sun.
So I'd be looking at some sort of versatile integration with a bimini.

Or at last a movable bracket for a pub umbrella!

The other thing is (and I think you've got this covered), if you put a metal post up, people expect to be able to use it as a handhold, even to lever themselves aboard out of a dinghy.
So it's got to be either strong, or cheap to straighten!

We've got the bimini bit sorted, fortunately the boat has plenty of shade. According to the man making the arch it will pass over the bimini and the rear rail will be attached to the arch instead of the push-pit.

1728481088567.png

Star-Lord

Visit site
I am in the process of specifying a custom solar arch for my Bav 44 Vision - it's around 3,65-3,85m wide where the arch will be bolted on and it will be integrated into the pushpit.

Question is ... what kind of usefull stuff could be added to an arch .... my list is currently

• approx 1kW of solar panels
  • dinghy davits for a 2,7m rib (120kg with engine attached)
  • outboard engine hoist (45kg)
  • outboard bracket
  • LED stern light
  • LED floodlight for swim platform and cockpit
  • flag pole holder
  • GPS antenna
  • hooks, port and starboard to hold coiled mooring rope ends when in marina/harbour
  • all-round RGB LED bright light with possibility to make white as an anchor light or coloured so I can find the boat coming back in the dark
  • 5G antennas/WiFi antennas
  • attachment for StarLink
  • boat hook holder
  • holder for MOB equipment
Anyone got anything else useful on their arch?
Spare VHV aerial. And make sure the on board shower hose (usually fitted already) is long enough to spray down the solar panels for cleaning ;)

noelex

Visit site
Try and make sure that as many extras as possible such as the GPS antenna are mounted level with the top of the solar panels rather than above them. Solar panels hate shade.

B27

Visit site
I don’t think that any of this uncivilised lot has yet managed to mention - a hook for suspending a hanging basket.
What is the correct knot, sorry, 'bend' to secure a hanging basket to a stainless arch?

Zip tie maybe?

boomerangben

Visit site
To add to Captainsensible….. one of those auto inflating bags that RIBs have on their arches to aid righting after capsize

And perhaps a nice painting of the sky on the inside to hide it from your own view. Something along the line of the Sistine Chapel perhaps?