Cruising a Trailer Sailer

Grith

Visit site
Hi All I am developing and unusual trailable yacht for extensive coastal and inland waters cruising and have friends who have cruised theirCourt 750 trailer sailer for 4-6 months each year for over 30 years now. Their journeys have included multiple about 3 month cruises in remote areas many with limited ability to resupply.
I have recently returned from my first extended cruise on the Imexus of nearly 6 weeks having just retired at Christmas.
It was our shake down cruise and my partners only second extended time on a yacht. It all went very well and based on this trip and advice from my very experienced friends, who we were cruising in company with, I am now hard at further modifications.
I am not intending to do offshore transits or interested in round the cans racing speed. My interest is in creating a very flexible trailable yacht as an exploration and expedition base to access unique and challenging places that conventional yachts cannot easily access. This includes very shallow areas and the ability to dry out in areas of extreme tides. I also have no interest in long ocean passages with limited contact with my partner who regardless would be incapable of standing her share of lonely watches at this time.
I have chosen the unusual polish built Imexus 28 to replace my much smaller home built Jarcat 6 Catamaran and TT680 Trimaran for the sake of comfort and in the now successful attempt to secure a new sailing partner to travel and adventure with in retirement. I was unlikely at over sixty to entice a lady into the cramped conditions of my previous cruising platforms.
My current yacht has a closed compartment shower/toilet with hot water, over 6 foot headroom at the galley, a permanently made up virtually queen size double bed, 240volt as well as 12 volt electricity and by virtue of using stores to replace using water ballast over 900kgs of storage capacity.
It also has a rarely used massive outboard and can plane under engine fully loaded with cruising food and stuff.
This is silimilar to my Jarcat whose ability to do this allowed us to access places out of safe reach for such a small lightweight cat.
Anyway just opening this thread for others with similar goals, advice and tips and general discussion. 737E4C02-B159-4056-BF0E-67E35C4344BE.jpeg

Grith

Visit site
Interesting are you fitting solar panels?
I have 2 160 watt hard panels one mounted on the rear of the targa bar and one mounted across the cabin roof protecting a no step zone whilst suffering some rigging and sail shading. Both of these are tilt-able via clamp mounts with rubber inserts and thumbscrews.
The targa bar tilts down at the stern and the cabin top panel can tilt up either to port or starboard.
I have also fitted a semi flexible panel to the rear bimimi whose wattage claims far out way it’s actual wattage and have a second of these panels about to be fitted to the dodger.
( If I don’t send them back and have a fight with the seller) Finally I have a 48v 48watt Torqeedo flexible panel that mounts on my second cockpit covering bimini for use when using my Torqeedo 1003 for quiet motoring in very low wind conditions.85F347B4-E969-4C01-B2D3-DA86BAA5AD7D.jpeg71477DCC-25C9-48CC-A35C-AD715E68FD83.jpeg

Grith

Visit site
Whilst hats off to Roger Macgregor for selling huge truckloads of powersailers the Mac 26XandM are not really in the same league.
The Imexus 28 is 2 feet longer, a more sailing oriented design and it’s European build quality make for a very different yacht with only the powersailer tag really being in common.

dunedin

Visit site
Whilst hats off to Roger Macgregor for selling huge truckloads of powersailers the Mac 26XandM are not really in the same league.
The Imexus 28 is 2 feet longer, a more sailing oriented design and it’s European build quality make for a very different yacht with only the powersailer tag really being in common.
Perhaps, but they look VERY similar in lots of design details - hope they paid Mr MacGregor royalties.

Grith

Visit site
The Imexus 28 is an update of the Odin 820. Bavaria yachts had a hand in the original design I believe and there was some kind of falling out that had Odin and Imexus briefly overlap production.
We also had another improvement to the concept designed and built here in Australia called a Mach28. Also bigger, stronger, better finished and more suitable for harsher conditions but unlike the Imexus also sharing the absence of side decks meaning going over the cabin roof to get to the foredeck. Ultimately it also felt like the inside of a fridge with white fibreglass everywhere the same as the Macgregors. However despite the Imexus just sharing a few design features being water ballast, large engine and wheel steering it is still a very different package to sail and use.
I was seeking a large enough trailable yacht to convert for long time onboard use whilst retaining relative ease of trailering and launching and the ability to use it on land for the long road distances between many superb but remote sailing locations here in Australia. 2FF03D2B-E8EB-4BB2-AA58-E594DC510978.jpeg
Of interest was also that it sits low to the ground for launching and trailering ease as well as climbing on board on land for both provisioning and use as temporary accommadation in transit.
Whilst a big package to tow it is within normal parameters meaning no overwidth, overweight or other use restrictions except the requirement for electro hydraulic brakes controllable from the car in this country.
In common with other trailable yachts it still has its 50 knots upwind ( behind the car on the road) whilst also having 18knots directly upwind available on water.
I rarely use the power available but it does open up a variety of locations unavailable to other yachts including crossing breaking wave rivermouth bars and making fast passages over notoriously rough / difficult areas during brief calm periods to then allow more relaxed sailing beyond these areas.
Not for everyone I know and would really like to focus on using trailer sailers for cruising rather than focus on my particular solution to some of the key area challenges of my future cruising plans.
I looked at many many larger trailer sailers in my quest for that all rounder Jack of all Trades but master of none compromise made much more challenging by wanting a long distance towing and easy self launching and rigging ability as well.
My original focus also included being able to single hand the whole launching/ rigging/ sailing feeling it unlikely to find a permanent sailing partner then approaching retirement . I expected to at times share journeys with friends and daughter but at other times have to manage alone.
I did maintain an eye on selecting a yacht with more comfortable living arrangements than my previous cramped micro cruisers with hope of sharing my sailing adventures and have been very lucky to find a willing and enthusiast sailing partner.

Grith

Visit site
Just about finished further cruising mods now having recently completed nearly 6 weeks winter cruising in lower Australian Latitudes in company with friends with over 30 years who use their trailer sailer as an about six months a year cruising travelling platform.
I finally got a grudging tick of approval from a previously very sceptical old traditionalist sailer friend who was originally a bit down on my unusual choice of a power sailer as distinct from his regular trailer sailer.
I did use 3-4 times the fuel for our river trip which was 2/3’s of the time against a strong current and where we managed to sail just over half time. My fuel carrying capacity is however commensurately bigger at 200 litres versus 60.
However the extra power allowed me to overcome some very steep short wind against current waves that twice completely overwhelmed his 9.9hp’s ability to push forward causing a retreat into the bank for the day. These were generated by gale force winds that I feel still feel are less threatening with the river bank only being about 100 meters away either side than out in the ocean.
It also saw me able to tow a broken down powerboat we encountered on the river back to its home base.
The addition now on return of my Torqeedo 1003 as both dingy motor and mounted main engine auxiliary with remote throttle from my previous Imexus inboard engine version should eliminate that fuel consumption difference between my monster outboard and the more usual 5-9.9hp outboards found on cruising trailer sailers as it is capable of pushing the Imexus at about 4 knots in silence which was above our normal engine cruising speed.
The yacht is being prepared for a 2-3 month trip in remote waters in The Kimberley’s in North West Western Australia with no resupply availability.
ABE9877A-22F6-4ED7-95F1-F51B7EB8411E.jpeg

Grith

Visit site
Our trailerable cruising yacht and truck slide on camper package are now ready for our extended travels.
Both units now have large solar arrays feeding a portable EcoFlow Delta Max 2000 Lithium Power Pack which moves between both as required.
This provides grid/shore power like 240v and a non inverter loss 12v outlet for running my portable fridge/freezer.
I have retained both units twin battery AGM batteries which run all the other usual yacht and camper systems.
The yacht now has a remote throttle torqeedo 1003 axillary for low wind sailing assistance and quiet low speed windless cruising which also demounts and has a tiller fitted to be our dingy engine.
The unshaded 720w solar array on the yacht ( shown below) is mounted via thumb screw plastic clamps and the panels can be easily removed and stowed below on a berth if predicted extreme conditions dictate.
It has been mounted and supported to allow high speed towing with the panels insitu so I doubt this ability will be needed.
We plan to leave either the camper and yacht trailer or yacht and trailer in secure storage whilst either extended cruising or exploring more challenging terrain inland. 🙂IMG_0723.jpegIMG_0367.jpeg

William_H

Visit site
Our UK forumites will see that this concept is far from common in UK or Europe. Perhaps due to less launching facilities fuel costs and need for very large towing vehicle. Well done and good luck anyway to OP. I hope we get some stories and pictures to relate.
I would make a note of caution to anyone considering same. A lot of money invested in the venture and ultimately it all depends not so much on size and type of boat but the inclinations of the skipper and crew. Such that what might seem like a great dream can only be proven with experience. (good or abandon). If your up for it a tiny boat might suffice. or you may find it all too much on the biggest trailer sailer. ol'will

Grith

Visit site
As my yacht is built in Poland it isn’t that uncommon over there. Yes I understand towing a big rig is not ideal in the UK and some European countries but is fine in others having toured there myself previously.
Swing keel and very shallow draft and drying out suitable flat bottom gives access to many high tidal zones and easily lowering mast whilst underway on water opens up many inland water ways.
Even many of the larger canal systems can be navigated with the mast in trailering carrying mode and onboard accommodations include stand up at the galley cooking, closed shower toilet compartment with hot water, dinette for 6 not required to be disassembled for bedding with permanent berths for 4/5.
An English born friend recently cruising with us commented that our crossing of a local lake here in Australia was actually longer and a more significant crossing challenge than the English channel in many ways!🙂

dunedin

Visit site
Looks a great and flexible outfit.

But the trailer looks a worry - very long and low section from towbar to wheels. Looks like it would ground very easily on anything other than flat ground. Certainly don’t think would get on or off a Scottish ferry ramp, over a slightly raised bridge - or the edge at the top of most boat launching ramps?

Grith

Visit site
I actually think the photo is a bit deceptive as the height of the tow ball and draw bar is higher than most stock road caravans but is made to look much lower by the 3.8 metre height of the slide on camper unit and road clearance height of the off-road truck.
I have never struck a problem with grounding on steep change of angle boat ramps, over humps, incline changes or speed bumps here in Australia.
We live right next door to a ferry crossing ourselves and use it fairly regularly. I am sure there may be some areas on constraint in the UK however given the age and design of some of the infrastructure. IMG_5457.jpeg 🙂

Last edited:

boomerangben

Visit site
Looks great! Again I don’t think it would come off the stornoway ferry without a few sparks but a boat that size you could sail it across all the Scottish ferry crossings anyway.

The biggest challenge when trailer sailing, especially something that size is finding somewhere to safely and conveniently park the trailer while you are sailing

Last edited:

Grith

Visit site
Looks great! Again I don’t think it would come off the stornoway ferry without a few sparks but a boat that size you could sail it across all the Scottish ferry crossings anyway.

The biggest challenge when trailer sailing, especially something that size is finding somewhere to safely and conveniently park the trailer while you are sailing
Out of interest do they take caravans over those ferry’s?
As for parking yes the UK it is a pain but most riverside/seaside areas have caravan parks we found when touring the UK in a motorhome and will accommodate parking for a fee out of peak holiday periods. 🙂
In this country I have also used trucking storage yards, farms, yacht club hard standing areas and even police lockup compounds often for our local currency a carton or two of beer! 😂

Neil

Visit site
Swallow Yachts featured a similar boat, the Coast 250, though it is not currently featured on their website; they may have dropped it from their current lineup?

I've moved to a trailer sailer, though it has a cabin and good for a couple of nights, it's rather more like camping and I've been looking at a few videos by that Barnes chap of the Dinghy Cruising Association. I hope to give it a go at some stage

Last edited: