Cruiser racing and engines

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
At what point in a cruiser race does one have to turn the engine off? It may sound like an obvious question, you don't use the engine during the race, but you do use the engine to get out of the harbour and hoist your sails etc. At what point must the engine be off? At the start of the 5 minute countdown? What do the rules actually say?

Minerva

Visit site
I would imagine that at the start of the 5 min countdown engines should be off.

However if I were RO* and there was a boat late leaving their berth who still wanted to race but were still motoring towards the start area during this 5min countdown, then I’d allow this provided they received no benefit from the propulsion crossing the line. Perhaps get them to do a 360 / 720 before crossing the start line? Depends on how light conditions were.

* I only ever do RO duties on mid week post work fun races where there is a solid probability of “life” getting in the way of sailing on time!

crewman

Visit site
I think the rule is not about having the engine running , but having it providing drive, i.e. it must be in neutral. My understanding is that is the 5 minute class gun which is the core point, prior to that motoring is acceptable.

flaming

Visit site
At what point in a cruiser race does one have to turn the engine off? It may sound like an obvious question, you don't use the engine during the race, but you do use the engine to get out of the harbour and hoist your sails etc. At what point must the engine be off? At the start of the 5 minute countdown? What do the rules actually say?
It's the preparatory signal. In the standard starting sequence this is the 4 minute signal. It is also not "engine off" but "engine not propelling the boat".

If you want the rule geek reason, here it is.

Firstly, you need to look in the definitions. Specifically at the definition of "racing"

Racing A boat is racing from her preparatory signal until she finishes and clears the finishing line and marks or retires, or until the race committee signals a general recall, postponement or abandonment.

Then look at rule 42, which deals with propulsion.

42.1 Basic Rule Except when permitted in rule 42.3 or 45, a boat shall compete by using only the wind and water to increase, maintain or decrease her speed. Her crew may adjust the trim of sails and hull, and perform other acts of seamanship, but shall not otherwise move their bodies to propel the boat.