Crew instructions

KevinV

Visit site
I totally agree your information overload point and would readily admit that the PDF I posted above probably fails that test. As i said it was intended merely as some inspiration, not as gospel. FWIW, that card is 10 years old and was partly done to keep a surveyor happy (eg the Muster Station bit, which I would prefer to leave out on a small boat). But you're right that less might be better in many circumstances.

I'm pretty sure that pictures are helpful. The airline seatback safety cards are some inspiration in all this.
The "too much" wasn't really aimed at your card JFM (and yes, the pictures DO help!), but at Bluetooth talking about adding in manoeuvres , using dangerous equipment and suchlike. The only thing I'd take off your card is the MMSI and callsign - they're of really limited use to anyone, let alone a novice, and just overcomplicate things. I can see why they'd be on there to please a surveyor though (y)

KevinV

Visit site
KevinV
My focus is friends being onboard for a week at a time and for the off chance I might have a problem. I'd like to think I'm preparing well.
Fully appreciate its different to a day trip in great weather.
Fair enough, especially if make it so you're drip feed their curiosity, rather than forcing too much on them too fast.

Alicatt

Visit site
The "too much" wasn't really aimed at your card JFM (and yes, the pictures DO help!), but at Bluetooth talking about adding in manoeuvres , using dangerous equipment and suchlike. The only thing I'd take off your card is the MMSI and callsign - they're of really limited use to anyone, let alone a novice, and just overcomplicate things. I can see why they'd be on there to please a surveyor though (y)
The boat's call sign, MMSI and ATIS numbers are on a card with instructions on how to make distress call on the VHF, I keep it pinned beside the VHF and also one in the document drawer in the cabin.
Mayday Card CasperSM.jpg

bluetooth

Visit site
I know you replied after this one, but had to add that the dangerous equipment bit was about turning them off !
I always make sure there's someone else onboard that knows how to turn the engines off and what to do for emergencies. It's more do I do that everyday for a few months or just the first day and they have have a sheet back up.

Anthony

Visit site
A handout is probably overload and overkill for a lot of boats/guests, I break it down, e.g. have fire extinguisher symbols on the cupboards with extinguishers in, have a short obvious label near the VHF on how to make a mayday, have clear sign above the heads on how to use it, maybe have a checklist for you to follow when you are instructing guests on safety issues so you dont forget them.

How many people read the safety card on a plane, I feel handing an instruction sheet to a guest on a boat would have the same little effect.

jtfield

Visit site
Evening all. I wonder if anyone has a simple printout for new crew or passengers when they come onboard for daytrips or passages. Got quite a lot of friends onboard this summer and thought about writing one, but before i did thought about asking here first. Tried a search but nothing came up. TIA

I once started writing something but ended up just bringing my Day Skipper Practical handbook - the page about preparation covers everything, with pictures

Things that aren't in the book:
  • Don't worry if the boat heels, we won't capsize
  • Point out the strongest bits of the boat to hold onto: stays, shrouds, mast. Preferable to guard rails, pushpit
  • Watch out for the boom
  • If I fall overboard (with the handheld radio), call 999, stop the boat if you can

bluetooth

Visit site
Thx for comments and heres what ive done. Ive taken 10 pictures out which refer to my boat such as engine keys and Genset Off button.
Please note this for a long trip im doing this summer with folks onboard for up to a week; i dont intend to prep them everyday as i would do for a day trip so is a aide memoire.
PS sorry about the image; took a photo of computer screen and lighting bit dodgy obviously. Easy to attach as low res pic

Attachments

• Safety Notice.jpg
    Safety Notice.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 30

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
How many people read the safety card on a plane, I feel handing an instruction sheet to a guest on a boat would have the same little effect.

I think it is valuable to have both a verbal briefing of the important stuff when they arrive, and a written sheet/card that they can look at later if they want.

They will probably take in a vague outline of most (but not all!) what you say, but later struggle to remember the details, and it's for the latter that the written stuff comes especially in handy for them.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
If guests/friends are onboard for more than a day I start with a very bare minimum and drip feed over the next few days. eg If we’re about to make a serious passage in a day or two we’ll talk about one topic over coffee one morning. If you’re clever about it they don’t even notice it’s part of the safety briefing. I’ve also done it as a quiz over drinks but in a very low key way.

Laminated safety notes on the back of heads doors usually get read.

Visit site
Simmilar to everyone else my basics to cover are: personal safety (give them LJ, hand holds, seating, clothing). First aid (location of FA kit). Fire (extinguishher locations and use, using gas safely). Calling for help (vhf, 999, epirb). Abondon ship (liferaft). Can be done in 2-5 minutes. For sailing add on dangers of boom, rope burns, using winches, and clipping on. For longer trips, offshore, overnight, or people intetested then can be extended to cover more as needed.

ylop

Visit site
[*]If I fall overboard (with the handheld radio), call 999, stop the boat if you can
Whilst we all like to think our crew are smart - worth emphasising dial 999 and ask for Coastguard (if you aren’t advising vhf). If you were lying unconscious on deck - lots of people would call an ambulance! If you’ve gone overboard many would ask for “Lifeboat” which will probably get you the CG but when uncertain where to direct a call the “BT” operator that answers puts the call through to the police. You will eventually get help in any case but it will waste time.

If you are imagining scenarios where you have gone overboard/unconscious do you provide any instruction how to stop the boat/autopilot? I think nobody would remember any detail and that is the sort of thing that could be a “safety card” with step by steps.

Similarly is there a display that has lat lon on it that your distressed friend can simply read to the CG?

However, the question everyone is actually thinking is - how does the toilet work?

Alicatt

Visit site
Stopping the engine on my boat is fairly straight forward with a big label saying STOP on the leaver, however restarting the engine is a bit more complicated and something that crossed my mind today when in the bilge ripping out old unused cables and how I could simplify the method of starting

jbweston

Visit site
I do a oral briefings in stages following a series of checklists I've created over the years:
  • Domestic briefing soon after coming on board covering use of heads, first aid kit, 240 and 12 volt electricity, safety in harbour on deck and pontoon.
  • Safety briefing in a relaxed way well before proceeding to sea - fire, closing hatches, lifejackets and spares, VHF and flares, etc., then on deck MOB equipment, fenders not feet, windlass.
  • There are one or two items relevant to crew in my own Preparing to leave harbour checklist which we go through just before departure, such as closing hatches, stowing crockery and personal gear, suitable clothing, lifejackets, with a reminder of anything vital for newbies.
One of the advantages of the combined oral/checklist approach is that I can go into as much or as little detail as necessary depending on crew experience of my boat and boats in general. Some need almost nothing, but with total beginners I do just the important stuff but with a bit more 'why' to go with the 'what'. The checklists are in a folder so the more nervous or detail-focussed crew can go back and read them as a reminder.

In addition to the checklist/briefings, I have the usual VHF mayday placard edited for the specifics of my boat - I think that's important as the generic ones don't always describe (for example) how to turn on the VHF. I usually include a demonstration of the VHF mayday procedure pointing out that it's all on the placard and, in an emergency when I'm hors de combat, not to worry about getting the detail right as in Northern European waters a 'yelp for help' on ch 16 (particularly if preceded by the 'red button' DSC alarm call) will be enough to get someone competent somewhere asking my crewmember the right questions.

I like checklists. It's a habit acquired years ago as a pilot. For example I have a Leaving the boat checklist to ensure I remember to do everything, and just as important when I'm half an hour way on my way home I don't ask myself 'Now did I close that window or turn off the main switch or take in the ensign' - as I worked through the list ticking every item off so must have done it.

bluetooth

Visit site

bluetooth

Visit site
Whilst we all like to think our crew are smart - worth emphasising dial 999 and ask for Coastguard (if you aren’t advising vhf). If you were lying unconscious on deck - lots of people would call an ambulance! If you’ve gone overboard many would ask for “Lifeboat” which will probably get you the CG but when uncertain where to direct a call the “BT” operator that answers puts the call through to the police. You will eventually get help in any case but it will waste time.

If you are imagining scenarios where you have gone overboard/unconscious do you provide any instruction how to stop the boat/autopilot? I think nobody would remember any detail and that is the sort of thing that could be a “safety card” with step by steps.

Similarly is there a display that has lat lon on it that your distressed friend can simply read to the CG?

However, the question everyone is actually thinking is - how does the toilet

toilet issue is covered

I do a oral briefings in stages following a series of checklists I've created over the years:
  • Domestic briefing soon after coming on board covering use of heads, first aid kit, 240 and 12 volt electricity, safety in harbour on deck and pontoon.
  • Safety briefing in a relaxed way well before proceeding to sea - fire, closing hatches, lifejackets and spares, VHF and flares, etc., then on deck MOB equipment, fenders not feet, windlass.
  • There are one or two items relevant to crew in my own Preparing to leave harbour checklist which we go through just before departure, such as closing hatches, stowing crockery and personal gear, suitable clothing, lifejackets, with a reminder of anything vital for newbies.
One of the advantages of the combined oral/checklist approach is that I can go into as much or as little detail as necessary depending on crew experience of my boat and boats in general. Some need almost nothing, but with total beginners I do just the important stuff but with a bit more 'why' to go with the 'what'. The checklists are in a folder so the more nervous or detail-focussed crew can go back and read them as a reminder.

In addition to the checklist/briefings, I have the usual VHF mayday placard edited for the specifics of my boat - I think that's important as the generic ones don't always describe (for example) how to turn on the VHF. I usually include a demonstration of the VHF mayday procedure pointing out that it's all on the placard and, in an emergency when I'm hors de combat, not to worry about getting the detail right as in Northern European waters a 'yelp for help' on ch 16 (particularly if preceded by the 'red button' DSC alarm call) will be enough to get someone competent somewhere asking my crewmember the right questions.

I like checklists. It's a habit acquired years ago as a pilot. For example I have a Leaving the boat checklist to ensure I remember to do everything, and just as important when I'm half an hour way on my way home I don't ask myself 'Now did I close that window or turn off the main switch or take in the ensign' - as I worked through the list ticking every item off so must have done it.
So nothing to add to the bullet check list then? Got lost in the text. I'm all ears on improving 😉

bluetooth

Visit site
Stopping the engine on my boat is fairly straight forward with a big label saying STOP on the leaver, however restarting the engine is a bit more complicated and something that crossed my mind today when in the bilge ripping out old unused cables and how I could simplify the method of starting
Yep. Never mentioned re starting!

bluetooth

Visit site

So nothing to add to the bullet check list then? Got lost in the text. I'm all ears on improving 😉

jbweston

Visit site
Not sure I understand the question.

I don't usually need to add anything to my checklist items, no. In fact quite often I can miss out items where the crew are experienced on boats (eg not putting stuff down the heads and how we have a limited water supply) or on my boat (eg location of main electric switches or oilskin locker).

The exception is I do add items for the future when I get a humdinger of a question from someone, or as now when I've just adapted the checklists from 14 years on a sailing boat for use on a new-to-me motor boat.

If anyone wants copies of my checklists I can post them but I imagine anyone that likes the idea would rather produce their own as boats differ.

kashurst

Visit site
It's tricky you don't want to frighten people and much of what you say is forgotten.
I try and break the ice with this: tongue in cheek obviously but it gets peoples attention

rule 1: don't fall overboard, it's quite hard to do unless you try.
rule 2: anyone who falls over board will be left behind
rule 3: anyone who blocks the toilet will be thrown overboard - see rule two.

then explain a few more details about holding on to anything silver and shiny when moving about the boat
if i ask you to sit down please do it immediately and I will explain why later. Otherwise rule 2 may be invoked.
if you didnt eat it don't put it in the loo unless you want to unblock it. - that usually gets a yeuch no thanks.
explain man overboard look out rules. If you see someone go over scream as loud as you can MAN OVERBOARD and do not take your eyes off them for a second.
I also explain that when we are docking DO NOT throw a rope to anyone ashore unless I explicitly tell you to do so, and why that matters. I find this one of the biggest problems with novices and newbies. They don't get it as they see it all the time on the movies.

Then show lifejackets, liferafts etc, where they are, radios and that if they have a mobile phone that will almost certainly work too. - see how many check pocket/handbag for mobile. They are the ones to keep busy and involved as they are nervous.

Then ask a woman to explain the loos to the ladies and vice versa.

If they still want to go out, preparing to leave I then ask for help with mooring lines, look outs etc to get people busy and paying attention. Then I will show the more enthusiatic ones how to use a rope, coil it up and how to throw it properly over a cleat or bollard.