Crew instructions

bluetooth

Visit site
Evening all. I wonder if anyone has a simple printout for new crew or passengers when they come onboard for daytrips or passages. Got quite a lot of friends onboard this summer and thought about writing one, but before i did thought about asking here first. Tried a search but nothing came up. TIA.

Seastoke

Visit site
Evening all. I wonder if anyone has a simple printout for new crew or passengers when they come onboard for daytrips or passages. Got quite a lot of friends onboard this summer and thought about writing one, but before i did thought about asking here first. Tried a search but nothing came up. TIA.
First is , this boat runs on diesel yes 80 litres an hour .

PlanB

Visit site
1. Toilet use briefing.
2. Location of fire extinguishers and escape hatches.
3. Written instruction by the helm on radio use, call sign and how to send Mayday or Pan Pan.
4. Don't go down polished teak steps in socks.

jfm

Visit site
Perhaps a PM to JFM..... I know that he did a comprehensive one for guests on one of his previous craft.
I did, a while ago. I'll try and post it in case it's of any use - give me a few hours until im on the computer where I think I stored it :)

capnsensible

Visit site
The word simple is the main bit!

Anything more than a couple of sentences and their eyes will glaze over and instantly for get whatever you said!

Something like how to use heads, hold on all the time at sea, and ask the captain any questions you want.....

Have taken many people out on various charter boats and have seen the open mouthed over the head look many, many times.

bluetooth

Visit site
Appreciate all comments and whilst I have been taking mates out for 20 yrs doing briefings on the day, Im taking few months off work in the summer and having friends join me for weeks on and off. I was thinking of a bit more indepth instructions to include engine and vhf. Just wondered if folks had done something similar i could use as a template or i start from scratch.

jfm

Visit site
The attached PDF is a safety card I used years ago. Prints on A4, 2 sided, and then laminated, so it is a bit like the thing you get in the seat pocket on a commercial plane.

It's quite old and far from perfect, so I'm posting merely as a bit of inspiration. Imho you need to use pictures not just words, along these lines. I had about 10 laminated copies of this in the seat back pocket of one of the lower helm chairs and just told people to take a look if they wanted. FWIW, it was done in Microsoft Publisher.

In the WCs I had much smaller signs on cards saying just 3 things:
(1) Press the "Before" button, use the loo, then press the "After" button. (This relates to Tecma loos only).
(2) Toilet paper and human waste are ok, but absolutely do not put tissue, make up wipes, kitchen roll, tampons, or anything else down the loo. It will break. Toilet paper only.
(3) As is customary on yachts, gentlemen please sit down.

Attachments

• Match Safety Card.pdf
    673 KB · Views: 157

bluetooth

Visit site
The attached PDF is a safety card I used years ago. Prints on A4, 2 sided, and then laminated, so it is a bit like the thing you get in the seat pocket on a commercial plane.

It's quite old and far from perfect, so I'm posting merely as a bit of inspiration. Imho you need to use pictures not just words, along these lines. I had about 10 laminated copies of this in the seat back pocket of one of the lower helm chairs

It's quite old and far from perfect, so I'm posting merely as a bit of inspiration. Imho you need to use pictures not just words, along these lines. I had about 10 laminated copies of this in the seat back pocket of one of the lower helm chairs and just told people to take a look if they wanted. FWIW, it was done in Microsoft Publisher.

(1) Press the "Before" button, use the loo, then press the "After" button. (This relates to Tecma loos only).
(2) Toilet paper and human waste are ok, but absolutely do not put tissue, make up wipes, kitchen roll, tampons, or anything else down the loo. It will break. Toilet paper only.

and just told people to take a look if they wanted. FWIW, it was done in Microsoft Publisher.

JFM
That is superb. Thx for posting.
I wanted to add things like skipper over board helm instructions, tender garage, genset shut down, bathing ladder, anchor windlass. I'll post what I do in the coming weeks.

KevinV

Visit site
JFM
That is superb. Thx for posting.
I wanted to add things like skipper over board helm instructions, tender garage, genset shut down, bathing ladder, anchor windlass. I'll post what I do in the coming weeks.
My only comment would be to be wary of information overload - a) it's meant to be fun b) better to know one thing properly (even if it's just where the radio is) c) if you try to cram too much in they'll shut down and just sit in a corner.

If they can don a life jacket and make a mayday call that's most emergencies covered - I don't think you want anyone inexperienced coming towards you in the water with engines on!

On my little sailing boat I keep it simple for complete beginners:
- life jacket on, always
- have 3 out of 4 hands/feet in contact with the boat at all times
- if I go overboard, don't do anything except hit the dsc emergency button and make a mayday call immediately (instruction card by the radio).

jfm

Visit site
My only comment would be to be wary of information overload - a) it's meant to be fun b) better to know one thing properly (even if it's just where the radio is) c) if you try to cram too much in they'll shut down and just sit in a corner.

If they can don a life jacket and make a mayday call that's most emergencies covered - I don't think you want anyone inexperienced coming towards you in the water with engines on!

- life jacket on, always
- if I go overboard, don't do anything except hit the dsc emergency button and make a mayday call immediately (instruction card by the radio).
I totally agree your information overload point and would readily admit that the PDF I posted above probably fails that test. As i said it was intended merely as some inspiration, not as gospel. FWIW, that card is 10 years old and was partly done to keep a surveyor happy (eg the Muster Station bit, which I would prefer to leave out on a small boat). But you're right that less might be better in many circumstances.

I'm pretty sure that pictures are helpful. The airline seatback safety cards are some inspiration in all this.

bluetooth

Visit site

- life jacket on, always
KevinV
My focus is friends being onboard for a week at a time and for the off chance I might have a problem. I'd like to think I'm preparing well.
Fully appreciate its different to a day trip in great weather.

Other threads that may be of interest