Cost to fit wind mast head unit and cable.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Nothing to stop you doing it yourself or getting another quote.
Bloke has got to make a living & I assume that you want it threadled into the cabin with a socket etc.
Where in the world are you? Is there a unit fitted already with a wire to pull the new wire through? How big is the boat?
When I renewed my current one I found that I was up the mast 2.5 hours whilst my son had to try to feed the new wire via the tangle of wires in the mast. Then I still had to remove the plug & re fit it when up the mast.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I have done this a few times on my own boats and it is not a quick job. I have always had the mast down (at the time £75 each way crane hire, dearer now) and even with a cable in place it involves cutting a plug off th foot and using the old cable to draw the new one down, then attach another plug. The sensor unit needs mounting but with luck you can use the holes left in the mast to fit the new one. If not then new holes need to be drilled and that is a job that I wouldn't dream of doing up the mast.
The quote sounds fair to me but I would probably do it myself and save my cash if I were fit. Right now I would pay up because my wife won't let me near the boat until I have completed the cardiac recovery plan following a recent heart attack.

SaltyC

Visit site
Depends where you are, South Coast sounds good value, other areas it's reasonable. It is a days job, £50 /hour 8 hours = £400.

Boathook

Visit site
Nope, just cable to the foot of the mast and, yes, there is an old cable to pull through.
I renewed my wind instruments a few years back. Two handed job and took nearly a day. Drilling new holes on the masthead for the new vane took a while. Its something I would now possibly pay someone to do with me assisting as second person if they will have me !

Daydream believer

Visit site
When I did my wind indicator I decided that I did not need a reserve halyard. After all my dynema halyard has a SWL of 4.5 tonnes.
But I was up there for some time in hot weather & started to feel faint whilst my son struggled to sort the wires at deck level. The last job was to drill the mast head for 2 self tapping screws for the bracket. I could not really see where I was drilling, as I could not get right to the top, but managed OK. Then once it was fitted I started to go faint & yelled to my son to get me down quick. I had to lay down for 15-20 mins. Then they took me to the marina bar for sustinance & it was some time before I felt better.
However, as I lay on the deck when they let me down my son showed me the halyard.
I do not know what was worse. The shock that I was hanging on a few threads where I had drilled through it, or the shock of £220-00 for a new halyard :eek: :cry:
halyard 1 (600 x 402).jpg

Neeves

Visit site
Stg50 an hour, per person, seems cheap to me and its a 2 person job. Take out your VAT and its not much of a living for 2 people. I would not rely on an owner - if he is asking for someone to do it - that means he cannot do it himself and is not someone I would want to rely on. The man at the top of the mast needs someone on the deck who has a good idea of exactly what he needs to do without the 2 of them alerting everyone else in the vicinity. No-one has any idea how easy or difficult it will be, until he arrives at the top of the mast.

Jonathan

fredrussell

Visit site
. I would not rely on an owner - if he is asking for someone to do it - that means he cannot do it himself and is not someone I would want to rely on.
Seems a strange attitude. Not much fun working at the mast top and I would have thought most people would pay someone else because they didn’t want to do it, rather than because they lacked the ability. Having just done exactly the job OP refers to, I would happily pay a professional to do it next time if funds allow. Sadly, they rarely do.

Neeves

Visit site
Read the post it says Ex VAT :rolleyes:
I don't need to - I can rely on you to add the correction. :)
Seems a strange attitude. Not much fun working at the mast top and I would have thought most people would pay someone else because they didn’t want to do it, rather than because they lacked the ability. Having just done exactly the job OP refers to, I would happily pay a professional to do it next time if funds allow. Sadly, they rarely do.

To me, and I enjoy mast work - its part of owning a yacht. Its really not difficult. But unless you are prepared to go up a mast, being too monied, then you don't appreciate the support necessary, you lack the background, call it lacking the ability.

Jonathan

Rappey

Visit site
I decided to fit a new wind unit and cable plus a new antenna and cable. I was up and down the mast 6 times ! Trying to get cables through mast was the biggest problem.

Wandering Star

Visit site
I had a new masthead transducer fitted by DN Marine whilst the boat was on a swinging mooring in Poole. Cabled Dow to the foot of the mast and they also fitted an LED bulb to the tricolour light whilst they were up there. Invoiced £200.