Coronavirus and Greece

OldBawley

Visit site
Change visible.

First yacht appeared in Poros. A classic caique belonging to one of the wealthiest families of Greece was put in the water in Kylada and moved to its mooring in Poros.

Although i was jealous that we are not allowed to move it was a beautiful sight.

The small motorboats are all been taken out for a spin at full power, just a quick round, just enough to start annoying people.

Davy_S

Visit site
I will tell you what my opinion is, whether you like it or not, i can well understand why the Ionian wants to allow tourists back, they need the tourist coin, but the islands have remained quite free of the virus, and done well, i would keep the tourists, especially the cruise ships well away until we see what happens later on, they would be crazy to let tourists in, especially when those that have lived there know that the local hospitals could not cope with increased cases of covid virus, greece has done very well, but has not the capacity to deal with a secondary infection, friends on the islands are terrified that tourism will be allowed later in the year!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I will tell you what my opinion is, whether you like it or not, i can well understand why the Ionian wants to allow tourists back, they need the tourist coin, but the islands have remained quite free of the virus, and done well, i would keep the tourists, especially the cruise ships well away until we see what happens later on, they would be crazy to let tourists in, especially when those that have lived there know that the local hospitals could not cope with increased cases of covid virus, greece has done very well, but has not the capacity to deal with a secondary infection, friends on the islands are terrified that tourism will be allowed later in the year!
I agree with you the only problem is most of the island need the tourist to survive so the pressure going to be there for the government to open up ,
The cruise ship are going to be the biggest problem.

wwalsh

Visit site
Greece will be opened for tourism and the tourists will certainly bring the virus. In athens there are 3 people who travelled from sweden under 14 day quarantine and all tested positive yesterday. Lufthansa will start flights frankfurt athens on 18 May and they can come and travel all over the mainland.
Access to islands expected 1 Jun or even 25 May.
I would expect yachts to be free to move once access to islands is allowed.

Last edited:

truscott

Visit site
This link popped up on one of the F pages I follow;

Health protocols draft for COVID-19 for yachting released from Greek Ministry of Tourism

Not sure that anyone will want to just click on it, But I post it for those who are brave.

In short, it says;
"
A draft regarding the health protocols for COVID-19 for yachting in Greece, has been published from the Ministry of Tourism. In detail, according to the new rules, it is provided:
Determining the maximum number of passengers
For motor boats of open type with a total length of up to ten (10) meters, the maximum number of passengers allowed is equal to 50% of the maximum allowed number set by its license.
For motorized boats with a total length of up to ten (10) meters, the maximum number of passengers allowed is equal to 30% of the maximum number specified in its license.
For motor boats with a total length of more than ten (10) meters, the maximum number of passengers allowed is equal to 70% of the maximum number specified in its license.
Sailing yachts will not be subject to any restrictions on the maximum number of passengers.
The above limits are valid until June 15, 2020 where the implementation of the measure and the epidemiological situation will be re-evaluated and possibly revised."

Not sure how I feel about this promising development. Half of me just wants to jump on a plane asap, and the other half is happy staying alive in my little bubble (fortunately we are allowed back on the water here in the UAE, so I am happily getting my sailing fix on the weekends).

grumpygit

Visit site
Greece will be opened for tourism and the tourists will certainly bring the virus. In athens there are 3 people who travelled from sweden under 14 day quarantine and all tested positive yesterday. Lufthansa will start flights frankfurt athens on 18 May and they can come and travel all over the mainland.
Access to islands expected 1 Jun or even 25 May.
I would expect yachts to be free to move once access to islands is allowed.

We are sat in the UK waiting to drive back to Greece to our thoroughly missed house and sailing yacht. At this present time I would not wish to sit on a plane at all, being on a ferry would to some extent be an ordeal, because we just don't know on who and where the C19 is lurking.
I am afraid that Greece are not testing and do not have a track and trace in place. I am also finding it so difficult to believe that Greece has only had circa 150 C19 related deaths, this may be just down to Tourist Industry Protection??

grafozz

Visit site
Greece has achieved remarkable results from a severe lockdown starting on 6th March .
The fines are a big deterrent at 150 e for breaking the curfew rules and 5000 e for violating quarantine .
PM Mitsokakis has identified 7 countries who will be allowed a "corridor " of access to Greece , helping to ensure the CV-19 will not erupt and destroy the country,s good record . The islands have been almost impossible to reach and that is where the dreaded virus is found least . IMHO Greece has done a great job .

De.windhoos

Visit site
Greece has achieved remarkable results from a severe lockdown starting on 6th March .
The fines are a big deterrent at 150 e for breaking the curfew rules and 5000 e for violating quarantine .
PM Mitsokakis has identified 7 countries who will be allowed a "corridor " of access to Greece , helping to ensure the CV-19 will not erupt and destroy the country,s good record . The islands have been almost impossible to reach and that is where the dreaded virus is found least . IMHO Greece has done a great job .
Yes, it has, and given its pride, it's remarkable that it immediately acknowledged that its healthcare system was not up to the task and therefore imposed the lockdown.
They desperately need the money, tourism is 20% is their GDP and they still have bad credit rating so lending is too expensive. They plan to open flights if people will be tested shortly before embarking. I hope that we get the specifics on what kind of testing soon so we can start planning.

I did read that Correndon is planning Covid-free holiday packages. Meaning that people will be tested before flying, then taken by bus to a closed resort and they will not be allowed to leave the resort. I'm assuming they will also test the staff and that they will stay in the resort.

My biggest worry, if I can say that, is that, because the sucky testing capacity here in the Netherlands (STILL!!! :mad:) it won't be possible to get tested and get the result back in time.

wwalsh

Visit site
I dont know anybody that was sick recently here in Greece. The people i knew who were sick that was in January and it may have been the same virus because it was heavy.
Many people are wearing masks. You can get cloth ones at the market in nice colours. Some people even wear them.....while driving motorcycles without helmets or whilst alone in cars.
It is mandatory to wear mask at the port authority. The shops and businesses installed plexiglass screens and the biggest importer of plexiglass nearly ran out of material.

Certainly planes and ferries as well as spending lots of time with unknown people in closed spaces are high risk along with touching and kissing people. Otherwise i dont worry.

The government is considering to open Crete, Rhodes and Corfu on 18 May along with the mainland travel.

lask

Visit site
I know a lot of people because of my job. I have asked about 300-350 people here in Athens if anyone they know is sick, and they don't know anyone who has been ill since C19. (Of course we do what the state tells us)

grafozz

Visit site
Which are the 7 country's

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis proposed the creation of a “safe corridor” that will allow travel between countries that have successfully contained the first coronavirus wave. The proposal was made to the leaders of Australia, Austria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Israel, Norway and Singapore during a teleconference on Thursday.

Tony Cross

Visit site
We are sat in the UK waiting to drive back to Greece to our thoroughly missed house and sailing yacht. At this present time I would not wish to sit on a plane at all, being on a ferry would to some extent be an ordeal, because we just don't know on who and where the C19 is lurking.
I am afraid that Greece are not testing and do not have a track and trace in place. I am also finding it so difficult to believe that Greece has only had circa 150 C19 related deaths, this may be just down to Tourist Industry Protection??
Oh ye of little faith. The numbers are accurate. :)

Greece acted fast and shutdown very fast. Plus, the lockdown protocols, which we are now slowly coming out of, were well understood and easy to enforce for the police. Fast, complete, properly thought out, and with no need to play politics. That's why Greece's numbers are low

Last edited:

grumpygit

Visit site
Oh ye of little faith. The numbers are accurate. :)

Greece acted fast and shutdown very fast. Plus, the lockdown protocols, which we are now slowly coming out of, were well understood and easy to enforce for the police. Fast, complete, properly thought out, and with no need to play politics. That's why Greece's numbers are low

You might very well think that - but I suppose if you believe the numbers are accurate you'll also probably believe the accounts the Greek government issued to the EU to become eligible to join the block were correct . . . . . . apologies but I'll remain with a good dose of pragmatic scepticism.

Tony Cross

Visit site

Chris_Robb

Visit site
The magic date that's being bandied about for the opening up of the EU for us drive back freely with some precautions is June 15th
I have been planning to travel to Greece - east coast - in September in the Motor Home. Its 2000 miles and the route goes Munich, Vienna, Budapest, slovenia, Republic of Macedonia - so that should be fun in itself. 'er indoors will need to be presurised as 4 weeks away from home is normally the max - but exceptional times!

Cariadco

Visit site
So, as for us that are chomping at the bit, here in Greece to get some Sailing done, here's some news from the Development Deputy Minister Nikos Papahanasis

According to the plan, gymnasiums will open on 29 June and Mr. Papathanasis said that travel to the islands will be allowed from 25 May and all private boats will also be freed of restrictions on the same date.

Hope it happens......