Coronavirus and Greece

nortada

Visit site
Just had to look it up as it's being used a lot lately .
Snowflake ..
A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Are snowflakes organic❓I thought they were just H2O and that is not organic.?

All floaty and that, sounds rather nice?

Davy_S

Visit site
I cannot see why a row has started about Greece, as i posted the last article about Greece that seemed to kick it off, i will explain from my point of view, when you look through the livaboard forum, there are post from different parts of the world, if a particular area is of an interest to you personally, then you read the info and contribute at your wish, that is what the forum is about, I read most of it, but my particular interest is Greece, i lived there for 11 years and owned both Brit and Greek registered boats, Vic started off with a post about Greece in March and it has carried on from there, there is obviously an interest or the thread would have died, i see no reason at all in having a separate forum thread, if it does not interest anyone, then do not read it! or post something interesting about a different country, simple:)

newtothis

Visit site
I cannot see why a row has started about Greece, as i posted the last article about Greece that seemed to kick it off, i will explain from my point of view, when you look through the livaboard forum, there are post from different parts of the world, if a particular area is of an interest to you personally, then you read the info and contribute at your wish, that is what the forum is about, I read most of it, but my particular interest is Greece, i lived there for 11 years and owned both Brit and Greek registered boats, Vic started off with a post about Greece in March and it has carried on from there, there is obviously an interest or the thread would have died, i see no reason at all in having a separate forum thread, if it does not interest anyone, then do not read it! or post something interesting about a different country, simple:)
You keep yer rational, well-articulated opinions to yerself, laddie. We don't like that sort of talk in these parts. :)

Cariadco

Visit site
I often wonder how many contributors to this group are actually Liveaboard's.
I'm not.
However, it's full if interesting subjects and I do enjoy reading and contributing.
Maybe it should be renamed?
Like ''People with boats abroad'' or ''People with boats, that are not Liveaboard's''

Irish Rover

Visit site
I often wonder how many contributors to this group are actually Liveaboard's.
I'm not.
However, it's full if interesting subjects and I do enjoy reading and contributing.
Maybe it should be renamed?
Like ''People with boats abroad'' or ''People with boats, that are not Liveaboard's''
Or something really revolutionary like Yachting and Boating Forum

AndrewB

Visit site
So apart from what has been previously mentioned, here in Corfu, things are getting tight.
At the mo' we've had 4 cases of C19, although they we're transported to the mainland, to another hospital, where they were treated but sadly, one passed away.
To go out, you have to fill in a form, stating your details, why you are going out etc. You also have to send a txt in a certain format, to a government number, and they txt you back to confirm it. You also need to have your passport with you.
The police are catching around 100 people daily and fining them 150e, on the spot, for failure to comply.
My mate has just been done, for driving about a mile from his house, to go walking (exercising) on a local beach. Although he had complied with everything, he was done for driving to his place of exercise, where he could have exercised directly from his house ie started his walk from his house.
The Marina's like a ghost town, as are the streets of the villages and town.
Regards.
Thanks for the heads-up, Cariadco. Back in early March we were wondering whether to make a dash for it out to our boat in Corfu or stay put in England. Opted for the latter, but judging by friends who made the opposite decision, I wonder if we were right. No-one we know has been reporting quite such a strict lockdown as you describe: the general feeling is that Corfu has escaped.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Greece’s Civil Protection announced Thursday evening tough measures to contain the spread of coronavirus over the long Easter weekend. Fines for motorists will double and the measure is expanded throughout the country.
From 9 o’ clock on Resurrection Saturday evening (April 18) until 00:00 Monday midnight (April 20) the fine for motorists across the country will be 300 euros and license plates will be removed if they are caught to move necessarily. The fine for the passenger will remain at 150 euros.
With banks and supermarkets closed, motorists have no reason to move around, authorities must have thought.

nortada

Visit site

Not too sure this is a row about Greece. It just happens to be in a thread about Greece. If you get my drift.?

No, I reckon that people not on their boats want to get on their boats. While those on their boats want to move their boats somewhere else or at least not be locked down in a marina and looking at having to fork out summer berthing rates.

There is another bunch caught in the wrong country and want to get ‘home’ to their boat or those caught at home and want to get to their boat in another country, for which they may or may not have right of residence/access.

The irony is, because of Brexit, a lot of Brits now have residency in the country where their boat is but because they are still citizens of the EU their foreign friends do not have similar residency.

As some of our Irish friends are now finding out, holding a foreign (not Portuguese) passport will not do.

Result, Brits who are no longer members of the EU but hold EU residency, may get back to their boats before their EU friends, who are EU citizens but do not have residency in the country where their boat is.

So there are some rather frustrated and angry people about.?

Funny old world but hey-ho, at least we are on a boat, even if it is the wrong one, in the wrong country, about to pay mooring dues when would have hauled. We have just paid summer rates for a boat in the UK, which we are very unlikely to be able use and now the bottle is empty so I bid you all good night?

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Not too sure this is a row about Greece. It just happens to be in a thread about Greece. If you get my drift.?

No, I reckon that people not on their boats want to get on their boats. While those on their boats want to move their boats somewhere else or at least not be locked down in a marina and looking at having to fork out summer berthing rates.

There is another bunch caught in the wrong country and want to get ‘home’ to their boat or those caught at home and want to get to their boat in another country, for which they may or may not have right of residence/access.

The irony is, because of Brexit, a lot of Brits now have residency in the country where their boat is but because they are still citizens of the EU their foreign friends do not have similar residency.

Result, Brits who are no longer members of the EU but hold EU residency, may get back to their boats before their EU friends, who are EU citizens but do not have residency in the country where their boat is.

Funny old world but hey-ho, at least we are on a boat, even if it is the wrong one, in the wrong country, about to pay mooring dues when would have hauled. We have just paid summer rates for a boat in the UK, which we are very unlikely to be able use and now the bottle is empty so I bid you all good night?
I don't know what wine there are selling in Portugal, but hey can I have a bottle or two . :)

nortada

Visit site
I don't know what wine there are selling in Portugal, but hey can I have a bottle or two . :)

Vic,

As you know, Portuguese Red wine is good and there is plenty for all in country. Unfortunately very little of what is available is up for export, especially to countries who brew their own. With free trade across the EU, I wonder why that is❓

However, during these interesting times, I have taken to upping the intake of the harder stuff. Possibly accounts for why I increasingly post gibberish as the evening progresses. ?

Not sure if it prevents contracting the virus but it sure aids sleeping. Now fully refreshed for a day doing nothing.

Vic, sorry if I hijacked your thread, it was never my intention and as to country-based sub-forums❓Personally, I don’t give a rats arse, one way or the other.

Trust you have a good day.

Best wishes,

N

ps Of late, date we have had only very few flights into Faro and none from the UK. As per yesterday there is just one Lauda flight in (this time from Düsseldorf (yesterday it was from Vienna). As it is only on the ground for 30 minutes, I suspect it is carrying cargo rather than self-loading baggage.

I will pm you later✔️

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
Well here in te countryt that (apparetly) d

As some of our Irish friends are now finding out, holding a foreign (not Portuguese) passport will not do.

Currently in Greece all flights to and from the UK, Holland, Spain, Italy, Germany, and Turkey are banned until May 15th, so nobody from those countries will be visiting their boats until then. In addition, to get onto any of the Greek Islands you have to show a Greek tax declaration form (E1) that shows your permanent address as being on that island.

As far as Greece is concerned at least, it's not the case that Brits may be able to get back to their boats before other EU citizens. Nobody who is not already here from the above countries will be able to get here before May 15th at the earliest.

Regarding allowing people to leave marinas I agree with you. The problem is, where will they then go? Quite rightly during a lockdown, you cannot permit yachties to go wherever they like. The danger is that if they are allowed to leave they might end up like the Flying Dutchman and refused permission to arrive anywhere else.....

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We had a letter from Leros Marina this morning, confirming what has been said above. The situation will be reviewed on April 27.

All islands are isolated. Specifically for Leros:-

- No virus case has been confirmed in Leros
- No movement from and to Leros is allowed with the exception of permanent residents and for specific reasons.
- Flights and ferry connections are limited and are used mainly for the transportation of goods.
- Access on the beaches is prohibited as is swimming.

wwalsh

Visit site
Currently in Greece all flights to and from the UK, Holland, Spain, Italy, Germany, and Turkey are banned until May 15th, so nobody from those countries will be visiting their boats until then.

The government will inform us on April 27th. There is not preliminary information that suggests people can come during May. The previous information suggested not before July 15. The newer information suggests June. perhaps mid to end June. Nothing has been decided. It is expected for the shops, schools and then restaurants bars to open during May with the process starting 04-11 may.

Tony Cross

Visit site
The government will inform us on April 27th. There is not preliminary information that suggests people can come during May. The previous information suggested not before July 15. The newer information suggests June. perhaps mid to end June. Nothing has been decided. It is expected for the shops, schools and then restaurants bars to open during May with the process starting 04-11 may.
Greece extends travel ban for non-EU nationals, flights from/to several EU countries - Keep Talking Greece
Greece extends flight ban for six countries until May 15 | Kathimerini

Tony Cross

Visit site
Seems to be quite a few earthquakes in the sea between Crete and Turkey over the last week or so. Another one today. I hope they're not causing any problems there.
No they're not, but thanks. We live in Agios Nikolaos on the eastern end of the island and we've not felt any of them. These earthquakes are related to the plate boundary above which Crete sits so small earthquakes here are very common. You notice them most in a yacht on the hard, on a calm windless day your yacht will suddenly shake a little as in a strong wind gust and the halyards of other yachts will tingle at bit. That's an earthquake. :)

TBH we're extremely happy that we get lots and lots of small (less than magnitude 5) earthquakes on the plate boundary here. They frequently relieve the stresses that build up and mean that we're much less likely to get a big and destructive one. That said, they do happen. The most recent was a magnitude 7.7 just south of Amorgos in July 1956 that was felt strongly here. The biggest was a magnitude 8.3 just south east of Anafi in October 1856 that almost totally destroyed all buildings on the north-east coast of Crete. :eek:

Irish Rover

Visit site
No they're not, but thanks. We live in Agios Nikolaos on the eastern end of the island and we've not felt any of them. These earthquakes are related to the plate boundary above which Crete sits so small earthquakes here are very common. You notice them most in a yacht on the hard, on a calm windless day your yacht will suddenly shake a little as in a strong wind gust and the halyards of other yachts will tingle at bit. That's an earthquake. :)

TBH we're extremely happy that we get lots and lots of small (less than magnitude 5) earthquakes on the plate boundary here. They frequently relieve the stresses that build up and mean that we're much less likely to get a big and destructive one. That said, they do happen. The most recent was a magnitude 7.7 just south of Amorgos in July 1956 that was felt strongly here. The biggest was a magnitude 8.3 just south east of Anafi in October 1856 that almost totally destroyed all buildings on the north-east coast of Crete. :eek:
We get a huge number here as well Recent Earthquakes
There were two level 4's close to Crete yesterday one of them around 200Km due east of Agios Nikolaos.
Sorry for the thread drift.