Coronavirus and Greece

Pasarell

Visit site
Friends wintering afloat in Lefkas (D-Marin) report no discount is offered, full summer prices when their winter contract ends. They also said the boatyard there is open and you can haul out, which surprises me.

This is completely incorrect.
I'm in Lefkas Marina as a liveaboard with an annual contract.
People here for the winter were offered an extension of their contract at winter rates less 25%. I believe they have to take out a full month each time, Obviously many people budgeted to be out of the marina by now so any fees are more than they expected but I think the deal they've been offered is pretty good.
There was no compulsion for people to stay after 1st April and pay the reduced rate, they were allowed to move out of the marina to the town quay but I'm not aware of anyone choosing to do so.
My annual berth was due for renewal early in April and initially I was sent the full list price but a very gentle negotiation gave me a favourable rate until the lockdown is over.
Most of us believe the marina is handling the situation very well and we are kept well informed about what is happening. A briefing, in English, by VHF each morning on current situation along with updates on regulation changes. The marina staff came round with copies of the paperwork we need to go outside and English explanations of how to fill it in.

Now for the hearsay part! I heard yesterday that 2 boats arrived in Lefkas and a few more in Athens as deliveries from the builders in France. Presumably new charter boats with professional crews. Word is they were fined Euro 10K per person. Everybody I've spoken to agrees wholeheartedly with the fines for such stupid breaking of the rules

Davy_S

Visit site
Deputy Mayor on Crete Receives €5000 Fine for Violating Fishing Ban
By
Nick Kampouris
-
Apr 15, 2020
boat-1-1-e1586952432787.jpg
Photo credit: pxfuel.com
A deputy mayor from the Greek island of Crete will forever remember the boat trip he took with a few friends on Holy Monday because of the heavy fine he received afterward for violating the coronavirus curfew.
It all began on Holy Monday, when a deputy mayor of the small municipality of Apokoronas near Chania on Crete, whose personal details remain unknown, decided to go on a boat trip to fish in the sea off Georgiopolis.
According to many local news websites from Crete, the official was accompanied by another boat, with three of his friends on board.
Nearby, a Hellenic Coast Guard vessel was on routine patrol in the area, when officers on board spied the two boats sailing from afar.
When the Coast Guard vessel reached the boats, the officers asked those onboard the two vessels to return back to port.
Back on land, the Coast Guard officers not only arrested the fishermen, among whom was one of the deputy mayors of Apokoronas, but they also slapped the men with a hefty fine of €5,000 each!
The heavy fine was imposed for violating the ban on fishing and vessel circulation due to the coronavirus pandemic.

nortada

Visit site
An observation - with all of this Greek traffic you guys should have Greece sub-forum in Liveaboard link. Along the same lines as Current Affairs and Climate Change in The Lounge.

How about it Mods?

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
An observation - with all of this Greek traffic you guys should have Greece sub-forum in Liveaboard link. Along the same lines as Current Affairs and Climate Change in The Lounge.

How about it Mods?
Who gave you the right to ask on our behalf ? Some of us have been here since 1998 ,I have sailed in Spain ,Italy ,Slovenia , Croatia, Albania ,Greece and Turkey and am satisfied with it as it is .

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Who gave you the right to ask on our behalf ? Some of us have been here since 1998 ,I have sailed in Spain ,Italy ,Slovenia , Croatia, Albania ,Greece and Turkey and am satisfied with it as it is .

Not again‼

I really sympathize with you and your situation but my suggestion was made with the best of motives, in the interests of all users of Liveaboard Link.

As you say, many of use have been at this game for a very long time - well before 1998 and have sailed in many theatres both in and out of Europe but I fail to see the relevance in this discussion❓

The fact you are satisfied with it as it is, is a fair point but there could be other options.

Moving on, have you forgotten, in another thread, following a totally unwarranted attack by you on me, I invited you to put up or apologize. I was going to let it go but now as you appear to be about to have another go and nothing has been forthcoming, I still look forward to your response to the original attack.

Alternatively, we could let bygones be bygones and move on from here - it's all up to you⁉

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
You do think a lot of yourself , why not put up a poll to see how the forum felt ,before jumping in again with both feet .If you don't like the Greece section of this forum the answer is easy . Don't click on the thread .
And apologise ? you a snowflake that thinks he's a snowball .

nortada

Visit site
You do think a lot of yourself , why not put up a poll to see how the forum felt ,before jumping in again with both feet .If you don't like the Greece section of this forum the answer is easy . Don't click on the thread .
And apologise ? you a snowflake that thinks he's a snowball .

A snowflake ❓ Wish I was. Too old to even know what it means.;)

You really have got a problem but I am not going to indulge your anger further.

Others will judge you, based on your comments.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
For myself I do not want to see the Liveaboard forum split down further into geographical/country sections, that would be a retrograde step. If it is about a particular country the title normally gives it away anyway, as indeed the title of this one does
It's not normally that busy anyway and a lot of posts by their very nature are applicable to many countries and they benefit from cross fertilisation of ideas

SaltIre

Visit site

nortada

Visit site
For myself I do not want to see the Liveaboard forum split down further into geographical/country sections, that would be a retrograde step. If it is about a particular country the title normally gives it away anyway, as indeed the title of this one does
It's not normally that busy anyway and a lot of posts by their very nature are applicable to many countries and they benefit from cross fertilisation of ideas

Fair points but as the EU is increasingly discovering, countries do things in very different way so lumping them all together isn’t always helpful and can lead to confusion. Additionally, the temptation for thread drift is almost irresistible and we regularly rediscover the wheel.

Nation based sub-forums would remain smaller and more focused. Moreover, Liveaboard Link would still be there for more general discussions. Best of all worlds❓

sailaboutvic

Visit site

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just had to look it up as it's being used a lot lately .
Snowflake ..
A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well my two penny for what it's worth not that it matter in the grand scheme of things.

As long as it's under liveaboard heading and has what every county it's referring to it's don't bother me one way or another .
I rather not have to keep going from one forum to the next to find info on cruising.
As a cruiser ( better word then liveaboard I think ) information concerning different countries are best kept here I guess .
Maybe change the heading instead of liveaboard link ,,,, Cruisers link , or snowflakes link ,
ok I gone too far now ...

nortada

Visit site
Well my two penny for what it's worth not that it matter in the grand scheme of things.

As long as it's under liveaboard heading and has what every county it's referring to it's don't bother me one way or another .
I rather not have to keep going from one forum to the next to find info on cruising.
As a cruiser ( better word then liveaboard I think ) information concerning different countries are best kept here I guess .
Maybe change the heading instead of liveaboard link ,,,, Cruisers link , or snowflakes link ,
ok I gone too far now ...

Think Cruiser Link may have a different connotation in some circles and could come home to dog us?

Snowflakes link, well as has already been observed but Vic, thanks for filling me in the detail. These young things, whatever will they think of next

As to my suggestion. It was just that rather than a declaration of WW3.

Back to CV19.

As you see from my thread elsewhere, here in Portugal we over 65s are now supposed to wear face masks when out of doors and indoors in crowded places. But as yet, an official source for face masks has yet to be identified; makes for some interesting and innovative face-wear. Probably totally useless but it keeps the authorities happy and that’s the main thing.

Last edited: