Cookin' on gas

rwt

Visit site
Arrived at Bradwell yesterday - on enquiry they have no Campingaz 907s and haven't had a delivery for a long time - their cage has a load of empties in it. Are Calor playing the same game they played with their own cylinders for the last 2 years and will it result the same way with the withdrawal of Campingaz in sizes that suit us?

Momac

Visit site
I had a 907 refill a few weeks ago from a caravan retailer. The price £44 . But at least it was available.

I have not seen any suggestion of withdrawal of campingaz refills.

Plum

Visit site
Arrived at Bradwell yesterday - on enquiry they have no Campingaz 907s and haven't had a delivery for a long time - their cage has a load of empties in it. Are Calor playing the same game they played with their own cylinders for the last 2 years and will it result the same way with the withdrawal of Campingaz in sizes that suit us?
I have not had a problem obtaining refills of CampingGaz. I usually get mine from here for the best price:- B & B Caravan Services - Caravan & Camping Equipment in Wickford, Essex.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

rwt

Visit site
I'm cruising on the boat long term so don't have transport. However now at Titchmarsh and they do have a good selection of gaz, so I'm fine for now. I will keep tabs on who has got what as I travel around and add to this thread as I go.

sailorman

Visit site
Arrived at Bradwell yesterday - on enquiry they have no Campingaz 907s and haven't had a delivery for a long time - their cage has a load of empties in it. Are Calor playing the same game they played with their own cylinders for the last 2 years and will it result the same way with the withdrawal of Campingaz in sizes that suit us?i used to refill my own from acalor cylindermuch cheer otion too check the forum hfor "how too" 😁

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
UK pricing, of 907’s, seems to have suffered more inflation, over the winter, than across the Channel. Best (camping store) price I could get, in Chatham, for the pre cruise refill, was £39.99. My first refill, in France, at the marina based Chandlery in St Vaast (which is likely to prioritise the convenience of its service over sharp pricing, as a sales model) was £27.18 (29.99 Euros)! Same as last year. Which cannot be said for the UK price…..

Last edited:

bromleybysea

Visit site
I've invested in a single ring induction hob. Les then fifty quid. It sits happily on top of the gas cooker in the galley. Great for single-pot meals. It seems to boil water faster than the electric kettle. I've not worked out the relative costs between using it on the metered supply in my home berth, but obviously when cruising where electricity is included in overnight berthing, it's free. One way of eeking out exorbitantly expensive gas.

Boathook

Visit site
I've invested in a single ring induction hob. Les then fifty quid. It sits happily on top of the gas cooker in the galley. Great for single-pot meals. It seems to boil water faster than the electric kettle. I've not worked out the relative costs between using it on the metered supply in my home berth, but obviously when cruising where electricity is included in overnight berthing, it's free. One way of eeking out exorbitantly expensive gas.
I'm getting tempted by a single induction hob for on board, but it means purchasing some new stackable saucepans as existing ones are all aluminium.

sailorman

Visit site
I had a 907 refill a few weeks ago from a caravan retailer. The price £44 . But at least it was available.

I have not seen any suggestion of withdrawal of campingaz refills.jow was its paint job most get rusty😢i personally do not trust thr camping gas bottle vakves, relying on bottle ppreasure to seal the ball bearingis poor fdesign

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Not yet. I got a new sail and electric outboard to pay for first. Does make the tefal Ingenio look cheap ...

I only ask as I've got them onboard and stupidly bought the non induction ones. I've just bought a two 'burner' induction hob and I'm tempted to try the converter plates that allow one to use a non induction pan.

disclaimer: I already have a new main and electric outboard 😲

Boathook

Visit site
I only ask as I've got them onboard and stupidly bought the non induction ones. I've just bought a two 'burner' induction hob and I'm tempted to try the converter plates that allow one to use a non induction pan.

disclaimer: I already have a new main and electric outboard 😲
Personally I feel a converter plate on a boat is another hot item to cause problems in a small galley. I might have tried one at home, but when I got an induction hob at home I purchased brand new saucepans to save the agro of another hot item and where to put it.

Momac

Visit site
1684343157113.png

I have not heard of or experienced any issues . Also suspect there have been millions of refills so any design fault would be well known by now.
The refilled cylinders look almost new as I believe they receive fresh paint and labelling which is probably why the refills are so expensive.
Unfortunately my gas locker will accept no alternative.