Converting cool box to fridge

Pete7

Visit site
Not a Sadler, but put one of these into a Moody 31 some 16 years ago and its still going strong. Brilliant bit of kit, cycles on for 2 minutes and off for 10 minutes during the day. Longer off time at night. Difficult to hear unless there is complete silence on board. uses about 45w when running. Do make sure you "go large" on the wires for the start up load. I have 4.5mm2 wires for a 4m run.

Isotherm GE80 Fridge Kit

Cspirit

Visit site
I converted the cool box in our Westerly Corsair. The original insulation was very thin so I lined the interior of the box with insulation then glassed and gel coated it in. We spent ten years cruising the Med, about 4 months each year, and the fridge was on constantly. Solar panel coped easily since shore power was only available occasionally. Good insulation is the key I think.

Neeves

Visit site
The compressors get hot, or at least warm, they usually incorporate a fan but in an enclosed location, where compressors are usually located, that only moves the warm air around. Try to devise a way of introducing cool air (from the bow, as when you are at anchor the bow is to windward) and exhausting the warm air. A, or 2 computer fans, wired to the existing fan, and some ducting will suffice. Computer fans, 10/15cm square, draw very little current.

Jonathan

Hydrozoan

Visit site
Yes, Waeco CU55 and VD09 Evaporator. Had the workshop make a shelf and glass it onto the hull, high up in the forward part of the cockpit locker, for the compressor - a cool location not far from the cool box. Did the rest of the fitting myself.

Wanting to use it only in the UK I simply added insulation in the form of domestic hot water tank jacket segments rather like this CJ4218BSSF Four-Panel Hot Water Cylinder Jacket 42 x 18" - Screwfix
- easy to push around and under the cool box, and not messy to remove if necessary.

It worked well, the only slight problem being condensation where the pipes from the compressor to the evaporator crossed the narrow galley locker aft of the coolbox - insulated them with foam and squeezed it to dry out occasionally.

xeitosaphil

Visit site
Not a Sadler but a Hurley 30.
I was lucky enough to acquire an evaporator 'O' plate along with several necessary bits from a generous forum member who was replacing his system with new, as the compressor he had was U.S.
I had a Danfos BD55 compressor lucky enough already. So I took the old preformed GRP cool box out which was only covered in 3 mm foam, and made a larger box by adding a ply bulkhead. The whole of the inside was clad in 100mm celotex and finished with 4mm uPVC white sheet. I fitted an internal shelf and division so I can freeze ice for a G&T but use the rest for a fridge. Air temp thermostat and two digital temp gauges to monitor both F&F independantly.
Compressor fits under under the cooker with open base and top so ventilates behind cooker. Cold air in from the bottom, hot air out the top. Unit has computer fan as an aid as part of the Danfos unit.

Singlehanded sailor so not a large volume needed, but for ice, bit of frozen stuff, and fresh salad and meats and milk👌. It will also take a 2 ltr bottle of lemonade or tonic.
Frozen compartment also feeds under shelf for semi frozen storage so no space wasted.
Been running successfully summer months 24/7 for last 6 + years.
Run from a 300ah domestic battery bank fed from a 100w Solar panel.

Got loads of photos ?

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
How obtrusive is the noise from the compressor?
I plan to convert my coolbox and unless I can find 1m extension tubing I'll need to locate the compressor in the hanging locker next to the forecabin.

Pete7

Visit site
In that case I would suggest a search on the forum for Alpicool as a cost effective solution. Lots on Amazon etc.

Pete