Compare and Contrast the following as rations eaten cold going to windward in rain

dancrane

Visit site
Motor boat entries are restricted solely to fois gras, and those cheeses, other pates, Eton Mess, etc which will not stain white slacks/shirts/skirts ;)

I'll definitely go for the foie gras, paté and Gatsby-esque dress, s'il vous plait...I've found that upmarket culinary appointments are surprisingly at home in very humble boats. Something about the sense of cheerfully daft privileged nonchalance I suppose...

"Damn, I...I've been concussed by the boom!"..."oh, rotten luck, and your cocktail's lost its olive!" Or, "Charlie's lost a finger, sliced off in the centreboard case"..."well, don't let him bleed on that silk shirt..." Or, "I really think we are sinking!"..."no, not till I finish my Havana".

Yes, I've known some odd types.

Still, no point demeaning ourselves with horrible food.

prv

Visit site
I've found that upmarket culinary appointments are surprisingly at home in very humble boats. Something about the sense of cheerfully daft privileged nonchalance I suppose...

+1 - somewhere I have pictures of a dinner party, with the full crystal and silver, tablecloths and candlesticks, held in my parents' garage. To go with the theme, dad put a small BA ring spanner next to the knives at each place setting.

The meal wasn't originally going to be very formal at all, but when bad weather forced a change of plan from the patio to the garage, it appealed to dad's and my sense of the absurd to dress it up in contrast to the surroundings.

Pete

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
+1 - somewhere I have pictures of a dinner party, with the full crystal and silver, tablecloths and candlesticks, held in my parents' garage.

The meal wasn't originally going to be very formal at all, but...it appealed to dad's and my sense of the absurd to dress it up in contrast to the surroundings.

That's it! That's the whole point, in a nutshell. A macadamia nutshell I hope, flown in by Quantas, with its own seat in first class. ;)

I've always detested convenience foods, and I think it's because they're meant to obviate all effort and discernment on the part of the consumer...

...so going as far as possible the other way, elevates the atmosphere and sense of occasion, even in a dinghy with a boom-tent. :)

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
You have a very funny idea of the sort of person who buys a mobo. All the ones I know are great guys, but upmarket - no way.

Ah, BH, your Mobo-istas are probably like the Mobo folks in our Club, they are real dirty hands (& minds?;))boaters, whereas on a sunny flat calm Sunday in July and August, in Cowes, one sees my types referred to in abundance; 'too utterly precious, My Deah'- the white slacks, slingbacks, and blonde bottled hair(and that's just the blokes!):D

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
I'll definitely go for the foie gras, paté and Gatsby-esque dress, s'il vous plait...I've found that upmarket culinary appointments are surprisingly at home in very humble boats. Something about the sense of cheerfully daft privileged nonchalance I suppose...

"Damn, I...I've been concussed by the boom!"..."oh, rotten luck, and your cocktail's lost its olive!" Or, "Charlie's lost a finger, sliced off in the centreboard case"..."well, don't let him bleed on that silk shirt..." Or, "I really think we are sinking!"..."no, not till I finish my Havana".

Yes, I've known some odd types.

Still, no point demeaning ourselves with horrible food.

Absolutely, we've got a jar of pears in Armagnac and another of Plovers Eggs (Sebastian has such charm, Charles) that we are saving for stepping up into the liferaft with:D
Got to remember to grab the bottle of Napoleon to go in the Grab Bag with them:eek: